FM3 noise problem

Amrlkhrl

Question: Does anyone have this noise problem with FM3? Does FM3 normally like this and maybe should use humbuster instead.
FM3 only have that noise when directly connected to Presonus E5 XT.
  • FM3 shut down -> Presonus E5 XT = Have noise
  • Guitar -> FM3 Output 1 LR -> Presonus E5 XT = Have noise
  • Guitar -> FM3 Output 2 LR -> Presonus E5 XT = Have noise
  • Guitar -> FM3 Output 1 LR -> Presonus E5 XT + USB cable + DAW then recorded a guitar but no noise being recorded from guitar but EQ detected a noise at high frequency from FM3.
  • Try different cable = Still have noise
  • Guitar -> FM3 Output 1 LR -> Focusrite Scarlett 18i8 -> Presonus E5 XT = No noise
  • Guitar -> FM3 Output 1 LR -> Mixer -> FRFR = No noise
Also FM3 has a pop sound when ON and OFF.
Is that normal, or fm3 does not compatible with my studio monitor or any other reason and solution.
Thank you.

First, we need to know what you mean by “noise.” When people use that word, they might mean hiss or hum or crackling or popping or interference or distortion or... anything. If you can provide a recording of the noise, we are better able to help you.

The fact that the noise remains after you turn off your FM3 strongly suggests that your FM3 is not the source of the noise.

Also FM3 has a pop sound when ON and OFF.
Is that normal...?
Normal.

...or fm3 does not compatible with my studio monitor or any other reason and solution.
The FM3 is compatible with every powered studio monitor on the market.

First, we need to know what you mean by “noise.” When people use that word, they might mean hiss or hum or crackling or popping or interference or distortion or... anything. If you can provide a recording of the noise, we are better able to help you.

The fact that the noise remains after you turn off your FM3 strongly suggests that your FM3 is not the source of the noise.

Normal.

The FM3 is compatible with every powered studio monitor on the market.
Thank you for your reply sir. What I mean by the noise is hissing sound. Right now I am gonna try different XLR-TRS cable.

FM3 shut down -> Presonus E5 XT = Have noise
This immediately removed the FM3 from the list of suspects. From that point it could only be cables or the speakers.

Remove the cables and turn up the speakers to their normal level, and if you still have the noise then you know the problem is the speakers. If it went away it’s the cables. But, since you say it’s hiss the odds are very good it is the circuitry in the speaker’s amplifiers. The noise induced by cables is usually hum or static of some sort because of poor shielding.

The Presonus E5 XT are not expensive speakers so they probably didn’t spend a lot of time or money on the amplification circuit or components. Changing the cable might help a little. Search for “Presonus E5 XT noise” and you’ll find discussions about them.

Thank you for your reply sir. What I mean by the noise is hissing sound. Right now I am gonna try different XLR-TRS cable.

Hissing could be a gain staging issue. If the output of the FM3 is set too low and you have to crank up the input gain on the interface, noise could result.

It could also just be the interface is a less than optimally quiet unit. Do you still have that hissing with nothing connected to the interface?

This immediately removed the FM3 from the list of suspects. From that point it could only be cables or the speakers.

Remove the cables and turn up the speakers to their normal level, and if you still have the noise then you know the problem is the speakers. If it went away it’s the cables. But, since you say it’s hiss the odds are very good it is the circuitry in the speaker’s amplifiers. The noise induced by cables is usually hum or static of some sort because of poor shielding.

The Presonus E5 XT are not expensive speakers so they probably didn’t spend a lot of time or money on the amplification circuit or components. Changing the cable might help a little. Search for “Presonus E5 XT noise” and you’ll find discussions about them.
It could be coupling and/or ground loop at some frequencies. Isolating the internal ground reference or the signal could solve it.

Except he said it was hissing not humming.

Huh. Yeah...ground loop would typically sound more like hum. Then I'd suggest hissing when the FM3 was powered down could only be self noise from the speaker's amp but then he suggests having a mixer or interface inline eliminates the noise.

Except he said it was hissing not humming.
It depends on the source. Hum is 50-60 hertz unrectifed line current, 100-120 if rectified. Can be any higher rate freq, Two circuits coupled with some resistance between each other and ground, a path to flow, and a current, then you have a voltage and a source of noise. Amplify it and there you have hiss, rumble, etc etc. Any engineer who draws complex board can tell you the nightmare of noise source decoupling! ;)

Back
Top Bottom