FM3 newbie question (have one arriving Monday)

I'm just trying this out with the manual controllers. It works well enough. I have two issues with it, both relatively minor:
  1. I can't attach any labels to the manual controllers, so I need to remember what I use each one for;
  2. If I switch preset, it goes to the home screen, and I have to press button D again - at least it does remember which page of the controllers menu I was on though, so it is only one press to get back to where I was.
OK it sounds a bit complicated lol Im thinking after this discussion to maybe try this setup- Guitar into Timmy (which gives me an easily tweakable clean boost and EQ tone shaper) then my Red Dirt Germanium (easily tweakable lead boost) then my DDR which i use for an easily tweakable light break up and an basic delay then into the FM3 which would basically be my ethos clean on steroids. Switch 1 could access three amps or amp settings Switch 2 the same (so 6 different amps or amp settings) i would prob only use a couple amps live but i would have the others there. then at the end utilize a two button simple switch for longer delay and slapback and to switch to looper view. oh and switch 3 would be used for tremolo and tuner

Last edited:
Manual controllers don't achieve what I want anyway. If I put a manual controller on the Amp Level, then it affects all channels, when I only want it to affect the channel that is currently selected for the Scene I am on.

I can select a particular channel, but that's equally futile for my purposes.

I can see manual controllers still being useful for the type of tweaking you are proposing, because that is probably the kind of global tweaking that makes sense for adjusting to a particular room, where you might want to tweak reverb mix globally etc.

For my use case, of wanting to adjust levels of amps in relation to each other, that is kind of 'one off' tweaking that you do once and forget once you have got it right.

So for my use case, I just need to accept doing a bit more navigation to get to the parameter I want.

I know I'm just kind of talking to myself now, but this has been an interesting journey.

For my case, of wanting to level out different amp channels when I'm rehearsing, all I need to do is go to the layout view and edit the amp, page right to get to the Tone tab, then press down so that the second row of controls is highlighted.

Now, when I switch between scenes, I can use Control Knob E to quickly change the level of the current scene's amp channel.

The type of global tweaking that you would do at a gig, that you were originally referring to, still makes sense for manual controllers.

I know I'm just kind of talking to myself now, but this has been an interesting journey.

For my case, of wanting to level out different amp channels when I'm rehearsing, all I need to do is go to the layout view and edit the amp, page right to get to the Tone tab, then press down so that the second row of controls is highlighted.

Now, when I switch between scenes, I can use Control Knob E to quickly change the level of the current scene's amp channel.

The type of global tweaking that you would do at a gig, that you were originally referring to, still makes sense for manual controllers.
Actually this sounds helpful to keep all the levels where u want live

Keep talkin' brother. We're learning along with you. The FM3 will be my 1st Fractal product. I'm hoping to get an invite in the next week or so, and I've been here for months trying to soak up everything I can to speed up the learning curve.

Thanks for sharing, that is actually a really useful nugget of information, to know that the amp controls remain on screen as you switch scenes.

I have my fingers crossed that the performance page feature that the III has will be implemented at some point.

I replied somewhere else to you that you can stay in the Layout, highlight any block and turn the C knob to adjust level, then save. Much easier and very fast.

I replied somewhere else to you that you can stay in the Layout, highlight any block and turn the C knob to adjust level, then save. Much easier and very fast.

Oh that's cool, thanks. I do need to just sit and take some time to really take note of the options on each different screen.

The more I work with it, the more impressed I am with the thought that has gone into the UI on the unit.

Back
Top Bottom