FM3 Muddy sound through In Ear Monitors

Markstull

Inspired
Hello all:

Looking for some help. I am dialing in sounds at home via a set of presonus powered monitor speakers. I dial up something that sounds good, but when I get to the live venue, it is a muddy, distorted mess.

At the live venue, I go direct XLR via the left channel (mono) to the FOH. Then I use in ears to hear myself and the rest of the band.

The mud is way worse on the neck pickup, suhr classic s with ML's. I usually am full out on the bridge pickup and roll back the volume on the neck to clean up, but its not cleaning up. It is "fuzzy".

Never had this problem with my AX8. XLR is set to +4. Sound guy says he has a nice, powerful signal to work with.

Is there something obvious I am doing wrong?

Attachments

• Marshall Plexi jump strat.syx
    24.1 KB · Views: 5
  • Marshall JTM45 jump.syx
    24.1 KB · Views: 4
You say it's distorted? Sounds like you're overloading your IEM transmitter input.

Make sure you aren't clipping it or triggering it's limiter.

Reactions: Rex
Well the signal comes from the mains. Sound guy said I am not clipping. It is some setting I am missing or have misconfigured on the FM3.

Well the signal comes from the mains. Sound guy said I am not clipping. It is some setting I am missing or have misconfigured on the FM3.
If it sounds good in the mains and it's the same signal then I don't see how it can be the FM3...

I just re-read your post. My comment was based more on the thread title saying it's bad in IEMs.

Are you also saying it's also bad in FOH?

How loud are you playing when you dial in presets?

Which specific monitors are you using for adjusting presets?

Could be you're dialing in at low levels and/or your monitors or room are affecting your EQ.

I looked at and played them both and sound fine though I don't have a strat with singles (I'm guessing your is) but I do have a coil tap. The only thing I would change is the low cut in the cab block, move that up to 80 Hz and maybe lower the the drive block level 3db other than that everything else looks normal!

You posted that the signal comes from the mains, does that mean that your ears are supplied from the main mix out? As unix-guy mentioned, I would be looking a little harder at the signal path to your in ears it sounds like your clipping the IEM.

I'm going early tomorrow night to tweak.

Everything was fine with the AX8, which is why it seems it is some setting I have botched on the FM3.

I set the overall level in the out2 block, just to make sure I was not hitting the red on the meter.

I created each patch in my room, slightly above conversation level, with a pair of Presonus powered monitor speakers. That's how I created all my patches on the AX8.

Gonna try to cut some low end out.

Thanks for the replys.

I set the overall level in the out2 block, just to make sure I was not hitting the red on the meter.

There's no Out 2 block in your preset ... ?

The preset sounds fine, no clipping, doesn't need adjustments. You / FOH must be overloading your IEMs in some way.

If you are setting at just above conversation level that might be part of the problem too...you may be overcompensating with bass and treble

I thought of that, and just tweaking, discovered the bass cut switch damn near gets me exactly where I want to be with a Strat.

Without knowing your full IEM signal path, it's purely guesswork!
Wired/wireless? Which wireless?
Stereo/mono?
Buds? Impedance?
Analog/digital console?
IEM mix your own or set up by FOH?

Need more input!

Without knowing your full IEM signal path, it's purely guesswork!
Wired/wireless? Which wireless?
Stereo/mono?
Buds? Impedance?
Analog/digital console?
IEM mix your own or set up by FOH?

Need more input!

Wired
Mono
in ears are 64 Audio A6
digital console
IEM mix myself. basically, its alot of my guitar, some drums and the lead vocalist, a little bit of keys.

Wired
Mono
in ears are 64 Audio A6
digital console
IEM mix myself. basically, its alot of my guitar, some drums and the lead vocalist, a little bit of keys.
Can you cut some of the mud with the EQ on your IEM mix bus on the console?
If FOH is good, then DO NOT change it on the Axe.. modify what's going to your IEM's!

Nice IEM's BTW.. I've owned their Qi's and upgraded to the A8's about 2 yrs ago! LOVE 'EM!

It could be that your individual mix is clipping even though the overall mix isn't. I'd try cutting that volume and see if it fixes it.

So I spent some time with the soundman last night and it was the FM3, or at least the way I had set things.

Basically, the bass cut switch and some level adjustment on the out1 side fixed it. It is now clean in my ears. With the OD off and the volume down, I get that spanky strat clean sounds.

I do think the Suhr is a darker sounding guitar, either that or the MLs. I never needed the bass cut on the AX8, but I never had this particular Suhr. I had an HSS (SSV and V60) Classic pro. Much brighter guitar. I also have a Charvel So cal HSS (Duncan 59, Lollar specials) that is brighter still.

So I spent some time with the soundman last night and it was the FM3, or at least the way I had set things.

Basically, the bass cut switch and some level adjustment on the out1 side fixed it. It is now clean in my ears. With the OD off and the volume down, I get that spanky strat clean sounds.

I do think the Suhr is a darker sounding guitar, either that or the MLs. I never needed the bass cut on the AX8, but I never had this particular Suhr. I had an HSS (SSV and V60) Classic pro. Much brighter guitar. I also have a Charvel So cal HSS (Duncan 59, Lollar specials) that is brighter still.
The MLs definitely have less top end bite than V60s and V63s, I could see that being part of your problem.

The MLs definitely have less top end bite than V60s and V63s, I could see that being part of your problem.

I just took the MLs out of my HSS Suhr. They sounded huge and I kind of regret losing them but I think the guitar is more balanced with the V63s I replaced them with - certainly more spanky and strat like.

V63’s are the former ML Classic I think. ML in the bridge V63 middle neck would damn near be perfect.

With the tube screamer on, I am getting an awesome lead/rhythm sound from the bridge. I have the neck and middle lowered almost to the deck so they will spank.

V63’s are the former ML Classic I think. ML in the bridge V63 middle neck would damn near be perfect.

With the tube screamer on, I am getting an awesome lead/rhythm sound from the bridge. I have the neck and middle lowered almost to the deck so they will spank.

Yep V63s were ML classic. I'm tempted to try an ML bridge in my SSS strat which currently has V60LPs

Back
Top Bottom