FM3 Muddy sound through In Ear Monitors

I just took the MLs out of my HSS Suhr. They sounded huge and I kind of regret losing them but I think the guitar is more balanced with the V63s I replaced them with - certainly more spanky and strat like.
I have MLs in an SSS Classic and V63s in an HSS Classic. I love the ML in the bridge but I do miss the spank of the V63s in the neck and middle on that guitar. I think a set with an ML in the bridge and either V60s or V63s in the other two positions could be my ideal set.

I have MLs in an SSS Classic and V63s in an HSS Classic. I love the ML in the bridge but I do miss the spank of the V63s in the neck and middle on that guitar. I think a set with an ML in the bridge and either V60s or V63s in the other two positions could be my ideal set.

Thanks, I think I'm going pickup shopping :) Replace the bridge V60LP with an ML in my SSS strat. Sorry, this has maybe got a bit off topic:oops:

So I spent some time with the soundman last night and it was the FM3, or at least the way I had set things.

Basically, the bass cut switch and some level adjustment on the out1 side fixed it. It is now clean in my ears. With the OD off and the volume down, I get that spanky strat clean sounds.

I do think the Suhr is a darker sounding guitar, either that or the MLs. I never needed the bass cut on the AX8, but I never had this particular Suhr. I had an HSS (SSV and V60) Classic pro. Much brighter guitar. I also have a Charvel So cal HSS (Duncan 59, Lollar specials) that is brighter still.
Hi Markstull,

I am finding my IEM situation similar to yours. You mentioned tweaking the bass cut switch and levels… do you have any details?

Thanks
Marvin

Hi Markstull,

I am finding my IEM situation similar to yours. You mentioned tweaking the bass cut switch and levels… do you have any details?

Thanks
Marvin

There are a lot of factors at play, but in the amp section, there is a bass cut switch.

Better yet, on the cab block itself there are low and high pass filters. I find the bass should be set around 80HrZ. Treble depends on if single coil or humbuckers.

Your sound guy can also eq the sound, cutting lows as needed.

As always, your ears need to be the guide.

just like any other speaker, IEM's aren't automatically going to sound perfect with audio running through them. many of them these days have way too much bass, which could be the direct reason for the issues in this thread.

IEM's should be EQ'd, just like any other speaker used at a venue. this isn't always possible depending on the gear, but if it isn't EQ'd, then if it's too bassy, the audio will be too bassy.

i find even with "flat" IEMs, i have to cut bass frequencies to allow "room" in my ears for the other frequencies to come through.

i typed more detail here: https://forum.fractalaudio.com/threads/dialing-tones-for-use-with-iems.145667/post-1722416

but here's an example of my EQ for a Shure SE215

img_0085-jpg.51340

without that bass cut, everything sounds muddy and i can't discern anything. but it still sounds good and full to me, but not like a mixed album or anything because i'm not listening to a mixed album.

just like any other speaker, IEM's aren't automatically going to sound perfect with audio running through them. many of them these days have way too much bass, which could be the direct reason for the issues in this thread.

IEM's should be EQ'd, just like any other speaker used at a venue. this isn't always possible depending on the gear, but if it isn't EQ'd, then if it's too bassy, the audio will be too bassy.

i find even with "flat" IEMs, i have to cut bass frequencies to allow "room" in my ears for the other frequencies to come through.

i typed more detail here: https://forum.fractalaudio.com/threads/dialing-tones-for-use-with-iems.145667/post-1722416

but here's an example of my EQ for a Shure SE215

img_0085-jpg.51340

without that bass cut, everything sounds muddy and i can't discern anything. but it still sounds good and full to me, but not like a mixed album or anything because i'm not listening to a mixed album.
Thanks Chris. As of now the in-ear system that I'm using is a Yamaha Monitor Mix. It utilizes an iPhone or iPad app to control your personal mix. I can not find any type of EQ section in the app and when I asked the sound guy he said there is no eq'ing in the monitor mix.

Last edited:
Thanks Chris. As of now the in-ear system that I'm using is a Yamaha Monitor Mix. It utilizes a iPhone or iPad app to control your personal mix. I can not find any type of EQ section in the app and when I asked the sound guy he said there is no eq'ing in the monitor mix.
Yeah depends on the mixer. The TF series has EQs on all sends, and many digital mixers also have that.

Majority of mixers do not have EQ on sends/bus and they expect an external EQ to be used.

Sort of an “is what it is” thing that many musicians just never know about.

Once I got my first digital mixer and could EQ every single send in the box, I won’t use anything else. I take a TouchMix 16 with me everywhere and adjust as needed. It’s really liberating to adjust one thing from gig to gig, save it, then recall what I need. My IEM sends don’t ever change and it sounds good and consistent every time.

Most sound guys use the channel EQ to adjust to the room, but mains need different EQ than monitors, so then you EQ for reducing feedback on stage, and FOH sounds bad. That’s not what channel EQs are intended for unfortunately.

Tours and pros take their mixer all around the world and don’t touch a thing on the channel EQs, and really only adjust their Master and Monitor EQs. If the channel settings sounded good in one room, they’ll sound good in another with the right bus EQ. Same for us weekend warriors.

Back
Top Bottom