FM3/Morningstar MC6 MIDI In

Yes. I’ve been testing the beta 3.9 FW.

It works and further development of this firmware will make the MC6 a real competitor of the FC6. Smaller and more versatile.

Hi.

I use an MC6 MKII with my FM3 also.

If my MC6 MKII buttons are assigned to do Scene Changes -and/or- EFX on/off ..... does the Beta 3.9 FW also auto-display those Scene Names or EFX Names (?) -or- is it just Preset Names at this stage (?)

Many thanks,
Ben

With AxeFX integration on the MC6:
  • Scenes names are displayed - You press on "Scenes" on the MC6 and you see 5 scenes names + "(exit)" to come back to the previous view
  • Preset names are displayed - You press on "Presets" on the MC6 and you see 5 presets names + "(exit)" to come back to the previous view
  • FX names are not displayed automatically, you have to set the names once and for all. Even the FC6 doesn't recognize the FX, but displays the same ones in each FX layout. So if in a preset you have no drive, the FC6 will use a switch for drive anyway.
So, you can do that:
  1. Set foot switch 1 for "Presets": when you press it you go in the presets bank and you see 5 presets names
  2. Set foot switch 2 for "Scenes": when you press it you go in the scenes bank and you see 5 scenes names
  3. Set foot switch 3 for "FX": when you press it you go in FX bank where you choose with presets to display, up to 6, and assign the PC and the fx names

With AxeFX integration on the MC6:
  • Scenes names are displayed - You press on "Scenes" on the MC6 and you see 5 scenes names + "(exit)" to come back to the previous view
  • Preset names are displayed - You press on "Presets" on the MC6 and you see 5 presets names + "(exit)" to come back to the previous view
  • FX names are not displayed automatically, you have to set the names once and for all. Even the FC6 doesn't recognize the FX, but displays the same ones in each FX layout. So if in a preset you have no drive, the FC6 will use a switch for drive anyway.
So, you can do that:
  1. Set foot switch 1 for "Presets": when you press it you go in the presets bank and you see 5 presets names
  2. Set foot switch 2 for "Scenes": when you press it you go in the scenes bank and you see 5 scenes names
  3. Set foot switch 3 for "FX": when you press it you go in FX bank where you choose with presets to display, up to 6, and assign the PC and the fx names

Once the new FW will be fully tested and will be released (not a beta) I will write a new thread to give all of the information to set the MC6. ;)

Many thanks GI4th :) Great write up ! :)

Really looking forward to the full write when the FW is "finished".

BTW ... its really weird that the FC6 wont auto-recognize and auto-display the correct EFX assigned to a particular FSW !?!

Do you think this is something that will be possible in the "final" FW for the MC6 for it to auto-recognize and auto-display the correct EFX assigned to a particular FSW ?

All the best,
Ben

Do you think this is something that will be possible in the "final" FW for the MC6 for it to auto-recognize and auto-display the correct EFX assigned to a particular FSW ?
I sincerely doubt it is possible for both FC6 and MC6.

AxeFX has MIDI settings that let you assign each FX to a specific Program Change (PC). So the switches are assigned to that PC (FX) regardless of their presence in the chain. Even the FM9 pre-assign an fx to a switch and if the preset has not that fx you will still continue to see that switch assigned.

I sincerely doubt it is possible for both FC6 and MC6.

AxeFX has MIDI settings that let you assign each FX to a specific Program Change (PC). So the switches are assigned to that PC (FX) regardless of their presence in the chain. Even the FM9 pre-assign an fx to a switch and if the preset has not that fx you will still continue to see that switch assigned.

Happy to defer to your expertise ... but I don't fully understand "the EFX limitation".

For example .... in my FM3 I manually assigned CC# 122 to " Drive 2 " ... which in turn I manually assigned to Button " D " on my MC6 MKII .

I don't understand then, why the MC6 cant then be made to "auto-retrieve" and "auto-display" the name of my manually assigned CC# 122 - which is " Drive 2 " - in the appropriate LCD area ?!?!

Apologies upfront as my understanding of MIDI is very rudimentary :) :(

Ben

Ok, now I understand what you mean, probably in future updates this integration may be implemented.

Surely it may be less useful because once you have set the CC 122 you only have to add the label “Drive 2”.

What the MC6 can do now with Fractal integration is more complicated. It gets all the scenes names from each presets with no need to program anything else.

Let’s see what they will add in the future, I’ll report your feedback together with mine. 😉

This is a pretty cool update! I upgraded to 3.9 beta I am not totally sure how to get it working correctly yet. I did set preset type to AxeFX Integration and model to FM3. I was able to get the preset names to show up, but I did not figure out how to make the FM3's buttons change the view on the MC6. It appears that I hit bank 1 preset A and it displays the scenes within that ban and preset instead of each letter preset corresponding to a scene. I may have to wait for that writeup @Gl4th unless you have any other clues

Happy to defer to your expertise ... but I don't fully understand "the EFX limitation".

For example .... in my FM3 I manually assigned CC# 122 to " Drive 2 " ... which in turn I manually assigned to Button " D " on my MC6 MKII .

I don't understand then, why the MC6 cant then be made to "auto-retrieve" and "auto-display" the name of my manually assigned CC# 122 - which is " Drive 2 " - in the appropriate LCD area ?!?!

Apologies upfront as my understanding of MIDI is very rudimentary :) :(

Ben
Because that's not a (currently) retrievable value... It's part of the global settings, not part of a preset.

Additionally, you could just as easily assign a CC to External Controller N, and assign that controller to (various) block Bypass operations. What would be retrieved then? Or even assign the same CC directly to multiple effects...

I don't think what you're asking will ever be possible.

As far as the FCs, they are not midi, so how would they magically know what to do?

Because that's not a (currently) retrievable value... It's part of the global settings, not part of a preset.

Additionally, you could just as easily assign a CC to External Controller N, and assign that controller to (various) block Bypass operations. What would be retrieved then? Or even assign the same CC directly to multiple effects...

I don't think what you're asking will ever be possible.

As far as the FCs, they are not midi, so how would they magically know what to do?

Thanks unix-guy.

I don't fully understand how it all works, but I trust your explanation and expertise :)

Many thanks,
Ben

This is a pretty cool update! I upgraded to 3.9 beta I am not totally sure how to get it working correctly yet. I did set preset type to AxeFX Integration and model to FM3. I was able to get the preset names to show up, but I did not figure out how to make the FM3's buttons change the view on the MC6. It appears that I hit bank 1 preset A and it displays the scenes within that ban and preset instead of each letter preset corresponding to a scene. I may have to wait for that writeup @Gl4th unless you have any other clues
At the moment you can't do that FM3->MC6.
This beta only have MC6 foot switches that activate Preset and Scenes view.
Direct change from FM3 to MC6 like in OMG9 will be part of next development of beta 3.9 as far as I have been told.

Updated to firmware 3.9 on my MC8 yesterday and played with this feature today. It really kicks ass.

Has a setting that is supposed to bring up the tuner but not sure if that is just a place holder cause I have not been able to get that to work.

Last edited:
The tuner works on FM3.
I wonder if it is some setting I changed then. A little over a year ago I had setup an external switch on my FCB1010 to turn on the tuner. I thought I set it back but maybe I am missing something.

Regardless, this setup is fantastic for a device like the FM3. Really impressed with Morningstar

Back
Top Bottom