FM3 + Morningstar MC6 = does the USB Type A Supply Power ?

ben ifin

Experienced
Hey all !

There was a thread some time back about the FM3 + MC6 but now there are many more FM3 units in the field I was wondering if people have tried to power the Morningstar MC6 [or any other midi device] from the USB Type A Port [the rectangular one] which is not currently "in use" ?

Thanks,
Ben

That port is for future expansion. Until then it does nothing.

Thanks. I get that but I'm assuming it will at least provide standard USB power out as it is a standard USB A port - unless of course the current firmware somehow hardware-disables the standard power out from such a standard USB A port ? Don't have my FM3 yet so I cant try so was thinking others would have at least tried this out (?)

All the best,
Ben

The port doesn't provide power currently. FAS has not announced specific plans for this port to my knowledge. I would not make any assumptions about this port providing power in the future.

I wonder if its possible to enable or disable electrical current by software, meaning that if the power is not there now - it will not be in the future. Also what would be the purpose of intentionally disabling the power if it was available?
My guess is there will be no power in the A port.

But the FAS LINK Out provides power. Should provide enough power to run the Morningstar. But first, you have to find out the specs. Voltage, DC or AC. Then you could use a AC/DC converter or DC/DC switching regulator to fit your needs.

I wonder if its possible to enable or disable electrical current by software, meaning that if the power is not there now - it will not be in the future. Also what would be the purpose of intentionally disabling the power if it was available?

My thought too - my limited knowledge is that as Power Out is in the USB Standard for A Ports, it probably cant be turned on/off by a [software] Firmware update. - its either always going to supply the USB Standard Power out -or- its been disabled in the hardware by design.

Easy test if you have an FM3 I just thought of - plug in your mobile and see if it charges - easiest way I can think of to definitively test if the USB A port does or doesn't have "power out" enabled.

Ben

I have no way of backing this up besides common sense. My intuition is that the USB A port will never provide power, only connectivity. This assumption is based on the idea of protection the FM3's power supply from a zillion random use cases that could put too much demand on the PSU and burn it out in a not-covered-by-the-warranty manner.

This is an opinion-based Scientific Wild-Ass Guessitmation (SWAG).

I have no way of backing this up besides common sense. My intuition is that the USB A port will never provide power, only connectivity. This assumption is based on the idea of protection the FM3's power supply from a zillion random use cases that could put too much demand on the PSU and burn it out in a not-covered-by-the-warranty manner.

This is an opinion-based Scientific Wild-Ass Guessitmation (SWAG).
I'm pretty sure it's required to provide power to function.

I also seem to recall a comment from Cliff that they have not yet enabled it to provide power - giving the impression it was a hardware feature that could be enabled by software/firmware.

Edit - found it:

https://forum.fractalaudio.com/thre...no-power-provided-updated.158521/post-1893083

I use a small power bank to run my MC6,its velcroed to the side of the unit and plugged in using the provided USB cable,
works great,the Powerbank is 6,700ma I believe, and after a 3 hour rehearsal still had 4 out of 4 capacity lights lit up

Attachments

• 140244733_322391395729441_5802041152955807595_n.jpg
    140244733_322391395729441_5802041152955807595_n.jpg
    307.1 KB · Views: 20
  • 139976465_748631072442345_3347867065611094606_n.jpg
    139976465_748631072442345_3347867065611094606_n.jpg
    344.5 KB · Views: 17
There are a number of power bars that have USB charging ports, would that work? You’d might as well plug your FM3 into that at rehearsal and get some surge protection too.

I use a small power bank to run my MC6,its velcroed to the side of the unit and plugged in using the provided USB cable,
works great,the Powerbank is 6,700ma I believe, and after a 3 hour rehearsal still had 4 out of 4 capacity lights lit up
I think this is the most practical solution. I'm using an MC8. While on my board it's powered by my pedal ps but if I want to use the FM3 standalone I'll go this route.

Thinking about buying a mc-6 and have a few questions:

- is it sufficient space between the buttons to fit your foot without accidentally press other buttons?

- if I eg map it to a effect on off or a control switch on off. Can the MC-6 know and show if it’s on and off?

- do you connect it via usb MIDI?

Many thanks,
Joakim

Thinking about buying a mc-6 and have a few questions:

- is it sufficient space between the buttons to fit your foot without accidentally press other buttons?

- if I eg map it to a effect on off or a control switch on off. Can the MC-6 know and show if it’s on and off?

- do you connect it via usb MIDI?

Many thanks,
Joakim
Yes, space is fine
No, is doesn’t display the status of the block but the upcoming performance view will solve that.
Use MIDI cables.

Good to hear. So if you map a button to toggle on/off eg a drive will it show off first and then when u hit on nothing will happen if it’s on already and the you hit again it will turn effect off eg?

What performance view do you mean? In MC-6?

Btw how do you see if you have engage a button or not? Do you need to have ”labels” eg “Drive On” and “Drive Off” with different MIDI messages?

Thx @Mr.Modeler

Last edited:
Good to hear. So if you map a button to toggle on/off eg a drive will it show off first and then when u hit on nothing will happen if it’s on already and the you hit again it will turn effect off eg?

What performance view do you mean? In MC-6?

Btw how do you see if you have engage a button or not? Do you need to have ”labels” eg “Drive On” and “Drive Off” with different MIDI messages?

Thx @Mr.Modeler
For normal block On/Off, you send a MIDI command with a CC# that you entered in the Bypass screen of the FM3. It's just a toggle. Each time you press the switch, you change the state of the block (will switch between Bypassed and Engaged).

You can also try experimenting with sending CC Values of 0 or 127. Still, the MC6 won't know the state of the block as the FM3 doesn't send data to the MC6. The button (preset) on the MC6 can read what the button does. Example Drive, Delay, etc. That's the short name. It will always say Drive. You can also try experimenting with using the External Switch Function. With that, you can program the switch on the MC6 to show whether it's turning something on or off. I've only used it for Amp Boost so I don't know if it works with Blocks. I believe the FM3 is limited to 16 of these.

Performance View is coming for the FM3 in a firmware update. That will allow you to see the status of the blocks.

For normal block On/Off, you send a MIDI command with a CC# that you entered in the Bypass screen of the FM3. It's just a toggle. Each time you press the switch, you change the state of the block (will switch between Bypassed and Engaged)
Unless the FM3 has a different default then the Axe Fx III, you have it backwards.

Normally you need to send 0 for OFF and 127 for ON (technically, 0-63 are off and 64-127 are on). However there is an option to instead just "toggle" on successive sends of the same CC#.

Edit:

Checked the FM3 manual - you are describing the Toggle option of Effect Bypass Mode:

27420091-8082-497D-91B9-B9AAD4EE0318.jpeg89D1FA97-70CC-45E0-BA16-9DE45E65467F.jpeg

Reactions: JTI
Back
Top Bottom