FM3 Mkll?

I haven't bought an FM3 (yet) because of the swtiching gap and only one amp block per patch. The Fractal philosophy seems to not care about switching gap; the solution is to have tons of processing power in the FX3, multiple amp blocks, and use scenes. IOW, the FX3 solves the problem through brute force, something the FM3 doen't quite do. (When you load up amp channels in a single FM3 patch, the cpu load shoots up fast.) So yes, there are actual limitations of the FM3.

If Fractal could put the FX3 power on the floor, I would be very interested. I just don't have a place for the rack unit and combined total of rack + floorboard out of my comfort zone. The Quad Cortex may not be the answer, but there is definitely a need for that level of power on the floor.
The switching gap is very small on the past few firmware versions. I would not let that affect your decision.

(When you load up amp channels in a single FM3 patch, the cpu load shoots up fast.)
i don't understand this. the CPU barely changes because Amps run on a separate core. i think the Amp channel change is faster than ever on the FM3 with 3.02. yes there's a short gap, similar to other modelers and real amp gear. it would be great if it was truly instant, like the Axe3. i'm sure they will continue to improve it, just like they did with 3.02.

I will say that, all things equal, if I had a choice between the current rack Axe FX III or a floor version with the same price and specs, I would rather have a floor unit. Lugging around a rack case is more cumbersome than I like, but on the other hand it is still easier than lugging a tube amp.

When you load up amp channels in a single FM3 patch, the cpu load shoots up fast.
This makes no sense to me. Every FM3 patch with an amp block has 4 amp channels. You can’t add or remove channels from the amp block. If you meant that having different amps on each channel increases the CPU usage, that is also untrue.

To test this, I loaded up a preset that contained only an amp block and in/out blocks. I started with a 5F1 tweed champ on each channel, and the CPU was 21–22%. I chose the 5F1 because the amp itself is very simple—only about a dozen resistors, seven capacitors, three tubes, a couple transformers, and a single potentiometer; it’s hard to make a simpler amp.

Then for comparison, I replaced the each channel of the amp block with a different amplifier, each with a much more complex circuit than the 5F1: (1) 5153 100W Red; (2) Euro Blue Modern; (3) USA JP IIC+ Red; and (4) ODS-100 Ford. The CPU was still in the 21–22% range.

The upshot is I’m not sure where you got this info, but it is clearly incorrect.

yes there's a short gap, similar to other modelers and real amp gear.
That's not entirely true. I've owned Helix, Kemper, and now FM3. Have used all 3 live and in a studio. Helix has a gap between presets, but scene switching is instant (they call it snapshots). And they just shipped instant preset switching for presets that only use one path in their latest firmware. On a Kemper Stage, all switching is instant. FM3 has a gap in both presets and scene switching. While it has gotten better, scene switching gaps are still there and very noticeable. And yes, I've owned many real tube amps which also had instant switching. All of this is to say, FM3 is getting better, but the scene switching - something that is instant on other products - is still a thorn in the FM3 side for me. Is it better? Yes. Is it noticeable. Yes.

That's not entirely true. I've owned Helix, Kemper, and now FM3. Have used all 3 live and in a studio. Helix has a gap between presets, but scene switching is instant (they call it snapshots). And they just shipped instant preset switching for presets that only use one path in their latest firmware. On a Kemper Stage, all switching is instant. FM3 has a gap in both presets and scene switching. While it has gotten better, scene switching gaps are still there and very noticeable. And yes, I've owned many real tube amps which also had instant switching. All of this is to say, FM3 is getting better, but the scene switching - something that is instant on other products - is still a thorn in the FM3 side for me. Is it better? Yes. Is it noticeable. Yes.
yes. that's why i said similar to other gear, not "just like all other gear." there are more types of gear out there than the ones you mentioned.

Thanks for being honest. This is what I gleaned from some other threads.

If an individual can't get great tones out of the fm3, perhaps it's on the player and not the gear. These debates regarding the next best and greatest thing are incredibly absurd.

I’ve had the FM3 for a little over a month now coming from the 2 XL+. I honestly just don’t see how this improves anymore. I mean, I’ll certainly try Cygnus when it comes out, but it’s crazy to think that Cliff is still trying to improve something that in my ears, can get the tone’s exactly like all my favorite music I’ve ever heard. I feel as long as this unit keeps powering on, I honestly won’t need to buy another Amp again.

+1, came from a Helix and now happy owner of an FM3 since 3 days. I immediately noticed the gaps in scene switching compared to my Helix. I personally don’t care, but still hope they’ll improve it.

My presets are never large so I have no issues with my FM3. That said, there were some very amp like profiles I had on my Kemper that I miss, like the Lee Jackson Marshall from TopJimi. I had a Kemper to tide me over for a year after selling my Axe2 just before the FM3 was delayed a while. I think there’s room for both. If the QC gets the same level of support from the community that Kemper has, I could see me adding one alongside my FM3 for some TopJimi profiles. I’d be disappointed if the FM3 doesn’t have a 4 year run before being superseded .

I agree that Fractal is leading the pack quality wise (I have an axefx 3) - what I’m curious about is if Fractal may feel the ‘perceived’ limitations of the FM3 compared to new floor modellers in relation to not being able to run amps in parallel and number of effects etc may lead to a newer version of the FM3
I never feel limitated with my FM 3...as long as I do not need a dual amp setup and do not hear the difference in the reverb block everything ist right. The unit can do MANY more than I will ever need within one specific sound.

Reactions: Ole
I am seeing that I am clicking on LIKE unintentionally, gotta beware of how easy that is. Forum beware and Tablet here. 😘

I think the most important thing is that it's ok to be critical of any product. I think this FM3 is a great piece of gear: it sounds amazing and is very innovative. It also has room for improvement, just like any other product out there.

for me If there every was to be an FM7 or whatever , I would really want it to have at least 1 of the Keystone chips that is running the AX3.
Really at this point a larger board with more switches and a new screen with same processing for me personally would not make sense for my needs , (although for a first time buyer an all in one might be more attractive .)

We already have the FC6 that can be added and allows more flexibility to take the FM3 alone to studio and then add the FC6 live
At the moment the only thing Axe3 has over the Fm3 is Dual amps, Drive Block , Pitch and Ultra res 4 IR blocks

I had the Axe fx3 and I personally did not use the dual amps, while there are a couple of the new drives that I would like to have "the Horizon"
I am more a plug in and play guy not a drive afficiando at all and used the Amp boost drive 99% of the time on the 3 for drive tones
Pitch again would be great to have a seperate "drop" block perhaps that was stable but with a lower range like up to 3 semitones
I m not a big Djent guy so low tuning is not essential

So really there is not much the FM3 can't do that is a huge issue, the fact that we are getting the full version of Cygnus I think is pretty
awesome too

I also would give a huge shout out to Matt for his OMG series of layouts , whatever comes next a FM6 or 7, or 9 , they should 100% incorporate the OMG switching layout as a factory default (that you can change or customize) somehow

for me If there every was to be an FM7 or whatever , I would really want it to have at least 1 of the Keystone chips that is running the AX3.
Really at this point a larger board with more switches and a new screen with same processing for me personally would not make sense for my needs , (although for a first time buyer an all in one might be more attractive .)

We already have the FC6 that can be added and allows more flexibility to take the FM3 alone to studio and then add the FC6 live
At the moment the only thing Axe3 has over the Fm3 is Dual amps, Drive Block , Pitch and Ultra res 4 IR blocks

I had the Axe fx3 and I personally did not use the dual amps, while there are a couple of the new drives that I would like to have "the Horizon"
I am more a plug in and play guy not a drive afficiando at all and used the Amp boost drive 99% of the time on the 3 for drive tones
Pitch again would be great to have a seperate "drop" block perhaps that was stable but with a lower range like up to 3 semitones
I m not a big Djent guy so low tuning is not essential

So really there is not much the FM3 can't do that is a huge issue, the fact that we are getting the full version of Cygnus I think is pretty
awesome too

I also would give a huge shout out to Matt for his OMG series of layouts , whatever comes next a FM6 or 7, or 9 , they should 100% incorporate the OMG switching layout as a factory default (that you can change or customize) somehow
Doesnt the FM3 just have 2 less channels for the Drive block, and same 2 channels for Pitch block?

Doesnt the FM3 just have 2 less channels for the Drive block, and same 2 channels for Pitch block?
No it is different , because of current cpu constraints
both have the same type of fx blocks but the 3 has additional drives not available in the FM3 at this time and also uses a slightly different algorithm that is more CPU intensive

No it is different , because of current cpu constraints
both have the same type of fx blocks but the 3 has additional drives not available in the FM3 at this time and also uses a slightly different algorithm that is more CPU intensive
Hmm I guess I’m confused then. So what exactly does the FM3 not have that the AxeFx3 has besides dual amp ability?

Hmm I guess I’m confused then. So what exactly does the FM3 not have that the AxeFx3 has besides dual amp ability?
It does not have the following
some of the drive pedals Horizon, OCD , Box of rock
Pitch algo is little different more latency , less stable with higher shift amount
Does not have the Ultra res Irs
is a little slower on channel scene changes

Thats about it

Back
Top Bottom