FM3 Midi Out ...... does it send out Midi Data ?

ben ifin

Experienced
Hey all !

Does the FM3 send out via its Midi Out port PC, CC's, CC Values ?

If it does ... does it need to be "set up" / "configured" / "turned on" in some way in the FM3 settings ?

Thanks,
Ben

You can also define midi data on PC change in the MIDI/Remote menu (Mapping Page), check the manual P113.

And you can assign any of the 3 switches to send MIDI out messages.

I think you're referring to Control Switch Midi?

I tried using CS Midi settings on the unit and it didn't send/enable any 2-way communication - does there need to be a Midi Block in each Patch to enable 2-way communication ?

Apologies in advance for my limited understanding.

Ben

I tried using CS Midi settings on the unit and it didn't send/enable any 2-way communication - does there need to be a Midi Block in each Patch to enable 2-way communication ?

Ben
There's nothing bidirectional. It sends midi.

CS midi does not use the midi. Block.

There's nothing bidirectional. It sends midi.

CS midi does not use the midi. Block.
The MIDI Block sends out PC and/or CC on scene changes. I have one in every preset in my FM9, so my FX3 can sync scenes with it.

I chose the CC #s for the CS MIDI so that the two units were on different CC #s, so now they each have 12 CS available if needed. A few of my preset pairs have CS buttons on one unit controlling things on the other unit. It's pretty sick....

Ben
As stated MIDI is a 1-way protocol. However MIDI 2.0 is bidirectional. To date there doesn’t seem to have been much uptake of 2.0 but that could change in the future as the new protocol offers some real advantages, specifically to my mind 2-way communication. And the specification is backwards compatible so it doesn’t obsolete existing gear. This write up is pretty good.

https://www.sweetwater.com/insync/midi-2-0-what-actually-matters-for-musicians/

Can I hop on here? I'm a total midi and Fractal noob, still waiting on an FM9...but I would like to use the FM9's footswitches to control some functions in my DAW such as tempo. I have a Zoom UAC-2 interface which has midi in and out...but not sure how the wiring goes here. Do I connect a midi cable from the FM9 to interface...and then the interface is only connected to the PC by usb? In other words, is it midi out from the FM9, but then USB into my PC? Or is it just fm9 usb to interface usb, no actual midi cables required?

I don't understand how a midi connection goes to a PC that doesn't have some dedicated midi slot, so I guess the interface does that through usb?

Would fm9 usb to pc also allow a midi send?

Can I hop on here? I'm a total midi and Fractal noob, still waiting on an FM9...but I would like to use the FM9's footswitches to control some functions in my DAW such as tempo. I have a Zoom UAC-2 interface which has midi in and out...but not sure how the wiring goes here. Do I connect a midi cable from the FM9 to interface...and then the interface is only connected to the PC by usb? In other words, is it midi out from the FM9, but then USB into my PC? Or is it just fm9 usb to interface usb, no actual midi cables required?

I don't understand how a midi connection goes to a PC that doesn't have some dedicated midi slot, so I guess the interface does that through usb?

Would fm9 usb to pc also allow a midi send?

• the Axe products don't send MIDI clock data, the can receive the tempo. So, your DAW can send the MIDI clock to your unit
  • you can map MIDI data to specific control switches and use them in your footswitch layout
  • Computer > MIDI USB Interface MIDI OUT > FM3/9 MIDI IN, FM3/9 MIDI OUT > MIDI USB Interface MIDI IN
  • check the manual for this setup (MIDI THRU, MIDI Channel, ...)

• the Axe products don't send MIDI clock data, the can receive the tempo. So, your DAW can send the MIDI clock to your unit
  • you can map MIDI data to specific control switches and use them in your footswitch layout
  • Computer > MIDI USB Interface MIDI OUT > FM3/9 MIDI IN, FM3/9 MIDI OUT > MIDI USB Interface MIDI IN
  • check the manual for this setup (MIDI THRU, MIDI Channel, ...)

Alright so 2 midi cables between the interface and FM9, then?

What I meant was I have my DAW set up with drum tracks that I can speed up or slow down the tempo by 10 bps either way, right now by keyboard shortcuts. I want to dedicate 2 fm9 pedals to do that so I don't have to take my hands off the guitar each time. I also want a start/stop record control. Nothing too fancy, and I know the daw is able to receive midi inputs such as those, I just don't know how to physically wire it up.

Alright so 2 midi cables between the interface and FM9, then?

Exactly. You want MIDI data to the FM9 and MIDI data from the FM9. So: 2 cables.

What I meant was I have my DAW set up with drum tracks that I can speed up or slow down the tempo by 10 bps either way, right now by keyboard shortcuts. I want to dedicate 2 fm9 pedals to do that so I don't have to take my hands off the guitar each time. I also want a start/stop record control. Nothing too fancy, and I know the daw is able to receive midi inputs such as those, I just don't know how to physically wire it up.

If you can map those functions to MIDI in your DAW, that should work - yeah of course 👍
My DAW controls my FM3, but my FM3 also controls an external looper. So, "basically" quite similar to your setup :)

Exactly. You want MIDI data to the FM9 and MIDI data from the FM9. So: 2 cables.

If you can map those functions to MIDI in your DAW, that should work - yeah of course 👍
My DAW controls my FM3, but my FM3 also controls an external looper. So, "basically" quite similar to your setup :)

Thanks! Makes sense now

Is the FM3 and FM9 midi out compatible with the Midi TRS din cable. I am trying to have the FM9 footswitches control some functions on the Boss RC-500 looper which uses the Boss BMIDI-5-35 - Type A MIDI to 3.5mm TRS Cable. I have checked that the control switch midi data assigned to a FM9 footswitch is sending the correct CC# etc but the Rc-500 is not responding. Might be the cable compatibility?

Is the FM3 and FM9 midi out compatible with the Midi TRS din cable. I am trying to have the FM9 footswitches control some functions on the Boss RC-500 looper which uses the Boss BMIDI-5-35 - Type A MIDI to 3.5mm TRS Cable. I have checked that the control switch midi data assigned to a FM9 footswitch is sending the correct CC# etc but the Rc-500 is not responding. Might be the cable compatibility?
You connect the DIN connector to the FM3 or FM9. It's a standard midi connection based on the Boss product page.

The Fractal shouldn't know or care about the TRS side.

Are you sending on the correct midi channel?

Ok, believe I have found the issue. There are several type TRS to 5 pin midi cable and interfaces out there. They are labeled Type A and Type B. They look the same but the Current Source and Sink are reversed between pins 4 & 5 of the 5 pin din connector. The Boss RC-500 uses the pin 4 > Ring TRS and pin 5 > Tip TRS or Type A. Physically the Type A & B look the same and I had the Type B which is not the Boss type. Typical of these manufacturers they all do not pin out the same. In any case, I am going to wire up a cable myself with the correct pin outs for Type A. The Boss site says just buy their cable and give no mention of the differences. You can go here to see some information on this:

https://minimidi.world/

If(?) I can get this all to work, I will post a new thread on how to set up the FM9/3 to work with Boss RC-500 using midi commands. This should work with all Boss loopers. With the FM9 I am trying to reduce the overall setup by using some of its footswitches to control certain functions on the RC-500.

Back
Top Bottom