FM3 Metal testing/Friedman ASM12/Shoot out Review type thing...

illumin8b

Saaarp my braaarps...

Had an interesting day today. Met up with a fellow metal fractaller friend of mine, at his bands jam pad. He’s running his axe fx II mark II into a Mesa stereo 2:50 mono, into a Fender MetalHead Cab. The other guitar player is using an Ultra powered off the other side. He’s been having gain staging problems and needed the deft hand of N8B.

After making him some new presets, using the Mesa as the Power amp section (turning the sag to p.a. and some other wikitrixxx) for the FAS modern, we got him sounding real toight. Straight up slapping dat ZERO on the vu meters. Really solid tones for live and practice.

However, this setup doesn’t really allow for a great FOH sound since the power amp modelling is disabled, so I brought over my Friedman ASM12 so we could build some other presets and use some cab sims and see if the Friedman can hold up to his current rig in a jam setting, being that he’s interested in a new cab or powered speaker.

This was also a great opportunity to use my FM3 into my Friedman since I haven’t had that yet.

I’ve had my Friedman for a long time, basically a month after it was released. I’ve used it for shows and practice with my axe fx II for years and I think it’s amazing. Loud as Fugg, and it’s super clear, if it isn’t true FRFR, it’s fooling me, just give a scroll through some cab packs and hear the rainbrow bro.

First we ran HIS axe fx II into the Friedman using the same presets we made earlier although altered for using the ASM 12 (power amp/cab modelling)... SOUNDS SO GOOD. Obvs tho, I mean I’ve been using that exact setup for years! What’s important tho is when still hitting the VU meters at 0, with the output 1 knob at noon, and the Friedman at around 6-7, it could EASILY hang with his current rig. He was very impressed.

FINALLY I got to hook my FM3 to the ASM, and it DOES NOT disappoint! I had to switch to the +4db pad after, and it made SUCH a difference, was really happy to hear my VU based tones really cranked up and need only some minor adjustments! EAT IT FLETCHER MUNSON. (Just kidding, I appreciate your contribution to the audio world.)

ANYWAYS, morale of the story is that Bongs hit hard sometimes, and get should get yourself an FM3 into a Friedman ASM12 ASAP.

Those Friedman's look like they are really something thanks for posting. I'm tempted to go for the ASC-10. Have you tried those?

Running a Matrix FR12P cab and GT1000FX at the moment with the AXE III and the same cab with the FM3 and Seymour Duncan Power Stage 200. I was looking for a another FRFR with a built in amp this time so those could be the one.

Those Friedman's look like they are really something thanks for posting. I'm tempted to go for the ASC-10. Have you tried those?

Running a Matrix FR12P cab and GT1000FX at the moment with the AXE III and the same cab with the FM3 and Seymour Duncan Power Stage 200. I was looking for a another FRFR with a built in amp this time so those could be the one.

YAAAR, that sounds like a PHAT rig!

I unfortunately have yet to try anything other than the ASM12, besides random PA speakers so I can’t speak for the ASC10, although if it’s like the ASM12, I’m sure it’s solid!

Our bass player has a Gt1000fx so I’d love to get my hands on a matrix 2x12 to do a comparison, but I’d definitely consider another ASM to run stereo! I personally HIGHLY recommend it, but of course if you could try before you buy, that’d be best.

Friedmans ALL THE WAY🤘 I bought an ASM-12 to sit in stereo with my Atomic CLR for dialing in tones and jamming. The ASM-12 was so so so good that I picked up an ASC-12 too to sit on the backline. Get the 12s!! Serious amp in the room punch!

I picked up the ASC-10 abut a month ago. So far it has been working really well for me. I elevate it about 16 inches off the floor. It sounds great for what I do and hangs with a 4 piece band no problem. I think it weighs in around 34 pounds so it maybe a good alternative to the ASC-12 if weight is an issue (as it is with me). I never tried the 12 as it was too heavy for me. Type of music is classic rock, blues, pop... I find it full sounding - no excessive bottom end or shrill highs. YMMV

Yup, love my Friedman ASM-12 also. Got it awhile back for using with my former (then, now gone) Helix, then the AX8 (also now gone), and now with my FM3. Loving life!

If you want a HUGE wall of sound ASM or ACM won't disappoint. Been using 2x ASM for the past year. Went down the FRFR rabbit hole a bit with Xitone wedges Matrix amp, CLR, PA speakers, Celestion F12-X200 andI like the ASM the be. However I'm kind of a scooped guy always like that tone however my bandmate is the opposite Mister extreme mid man. He uses a tube amp and 4x12. If you get 100-200ft from the stage he's ripping ass and I'm just muddy. If I dial a ton of lows out and boost the mids to catch up with him I just don't like that tone or feel. Im not talking about PA hear just raw stage volume cut. I have never tried an Accugrove cabinet but would like to as they are 3 way crossed over and I feel a dedicated mid drive could make a huge difference in this respect.

So my most recent solution is to forgo an amp and cab block in AXE FX and use my Mesa Boggie JP-2C with a Mesa 2x12 upright cab. Wet dry wet rig but only the AXE FX going to FOH. I've always leaned towards the C++ in the axe FX anyway so might as well do the real thing. The down side is lighten thing up and bring less gear has failed miserably.

...I'm kind of a scooped guy always like that tone however my bandmate is the opposite Mister extreme mid man... If you get 100-200ft from the stage he's ripping ass and I'm just muddy.
If you have two guitar tones of equal volume, and one of those tones has tons of mids while the other one is scooped, the mid-heavy tone will walk all over the scooped tone.

If I dial a ton of lows out and boost the mids to catch up with him I just don't like that tone or feel.
Then change the way you’re dialing in mids and dialing out lows. You probably don’t need a “ton” of either. ;)

Last edited:
Been using my Friedman ASC-10 for about a year now, before that I had the L6 Powercab, didn't like the PC, love the Friedman and now with the FM3 that I got this past week, I swear I am going to get another ASC-10 for stereo (as soon as I recover from the grand I spent on the FM3). FM3+ASC10, winning combo.

Love my Friedman ASC-12’s. My lower back doesn’t but my ears do. ;)
The Mission Gemini2 sounds amazing as well.
Has that same cab like thump.

i used the Headrush 112's. then got the Friedman ASC-12, the headrushes always sounded tinny to me, but i really love the sound of the Friedman. recently bought a power amp & now running into my 2x12 Engl cab. i think i like that the best

Back
Top Bottom