FM3 Loud Pop

Hey everyone! Just got my FM3 today and it's having an odd problem (maybe user error?). I use my PA system to play through, and the first time I started up the FM3, all was fine. But when I came back later and started it up again, I got two very loud pops that startled me. I never had this problem when starting up my Axe-Fx III under the same exact conditions, so I thought perhaps the FM3 didn't have pop suppression. However, it appears that it does, and it must have worked the first time I fired up the unit, but now I get two loud pops every time and a loud pop when turning it off. Does anyone have any ideas on this before I bug the guys via the support inbox?

At what point during boot-up does the pop occur?
It occurs as soon as I hit the switch, and then once again about halfway through booting up. And then when I turn it off it pops immediately. Sounds like it used to before Fractal came up with pop suppression.

It occurs as soon as I hit the switch, and then once again about halfway through booting up. And then when I turn it off it pops immediately. Sounds like it used to before Fractal came up with pop suppression.
I’d check with Fractal support. That’s not expected behavior.

This happens with my FM3. I just assumed it was expected behavior. I turn it on then connect my XLRs or have the inputs muted when booting.

It would be interesting to know if this is not supposed to happen.

You should be powering up the PA last and shutting it down first. You should not be powering up the FM3 or any Fractal with whatever monitoring system you are using powered on, whether they are powered wedges, studio monitors or a PA.

Write that down.

Last edited:
This is true for any preamp/effect device; whatever.
Sure, I got into that habit after hearing the pop a couple times... But my cheap USB interface that I previously had my monitor speakers connected to doesn't pop when I shut it off. Why is the standard lower for a $2500 device?

Sure, I got into that habit after hearing the pop a couple times... But my cheap USB interface that I previously had my monitor speakers connected to doesn't pop when I shut it off. Why is the standard lower for a $2500 device?
I don't know, but even $10000 sound devices can pop when you put them on and off with a power amp or PA connected live. I don't understand the question maybe.

Hey everyone! Just got my FM3 today and it's having an odd problem (maybe user error?). I use my PA system to play through, and the first time I started up the FM3, all was fine. But when I came back later and started it up again, I got two very loud pops that startled me. I never had this problem when starting up my Axe-Fx III under the same exact conditions, so I thought perhaps the FM3 didn't have pop suppression. However, it appears that it does, and it must have worked the first time I fired up the unit, but now I get two loud pops every time and a loud pop when turning it off. Does anyone have any ideas on this before I bug the guys via the support inbox?

See page 22 in the FM3 manual…
The FM3 features pop suppression, but it is still advisable to turn down or mute connected devices when powering on or off.

…and page 27….
The FM3 features pop suppression on startup, but speakers or monitors should still be powered on last whenever possible.

You can blow out speakers doing this. Do that to the FOH system and see what the engineer says.

This startling pop when powering on has always happened with my FM3 since day 1 using just the FM3 and headphones, nothing else connected. I've often feared this will blow out my headphones.

Back
Top Bottom