FM3 layout option for use with unit alone and with FC-6/12?

Tremonti

Fractal Fanatic
I want something for use by FM3 alone and when I want to use an FC12. How could I do this without much fuss? Say I'm going to rehearsal and just need 3 basic channels. Then for gig I add the FC12 for more "Live" scenario.

I want something for use by FM3 alone and when I want to use an FC12. How could I do this without much fuss? Say I'm going to rehearsal and just need 3 basic channels. Then for gig I add the FC12 for more "Live" scenario.
Does it really make sense to have a different setup for rehearsal vs. live?

Part of nailing the performance is hitting the right button(s) at the right time(s), innit?

Part of nailing the performance is hitting the right button(s) at the right time(s), innit?
Or, if you have less requirements for an acoustic gig but bring an FC6 to the full band gig?

Or, if you have less requirements for an acoustic gig but bring an FC6 to the full band gig?
Those would likely be rehearsals that were separate and probably had different songs, though. It just seems like an opportunity to introduce confusion in performance to rehearse with the one setup and perform with the other....

You have 8 available layouts, 9 if you count the MLM, and they are 100% customizable....so program one of them with everything you need for the FM3 only situation. When you get to rehearsal, switch to that layout. Likewise, have other layout(s) programmed just for the FC12. What was the question?

Personally I have a bunch of different layouts I've come up with and am always tinkering as I learn what I need and don't need. You can save them (export all or individually via FM3-Edit) on your computer and load them back in just like you would a preset or block.

I made my own FM3-only perform layout that I can do an entire gig with since I only need scene selection, the tuner, and one view of preset selection. A stand-in switch changes views.

For rehearsal I don't need all that. A clean, a dirty and a lead and I am good.

As someone new to the FM3 I’ve spent a good amount of time tinkering with layouts. I use the backup facility to save the system+gb+fc.syx file, rename it to something more meaningful to my purpose, which in your case might be FM3-only, FM3+FC6, or FM3+FC12, and then restore as needed. I imagine once you’ve established your setup for the FC6 & FC12 their configurations will not change so the only thing you’d need to do is load the appropriate backup file for the FM3.

Last edited:
You can use this on two layouts and then setup something with the FC12 on a couple other layers. When you are using the FM3 alone have it go to the first layout view 1. When using the FM3+FC12 go to a different layout or have the FC12 on the other layers. I have the same.

Even though there are "all layouts" you only use the first two on this setup.

Attachments

• FM3_MC8_all-layouts_20201219_195509.fclayout
    84.7 KB · Views: 3
on your controller page you designate which layout and view it starts with. You can leave the setup as though you have both the FM3 + FC12 connected and when you have only the FM3 it would use the setup I provided. Have the FC12 on different layouts and when not connected you would need no changes. Best of both worlds.

Here is my saved layout for FM3 alone, or with the FC12. Under controllers FM3 goes to Layout 1 view 1, and FC-12 goes to Layout 3 View 1. If you unplug the FC-12 you can get everywhere with the FM3. When you plug the FC-12 in you have it all.

Only uses 5 layouts for everything.

FM3 alone Layout 1 and Layout 2
FC-12 Layout 3 (Main Effects) , 4 (Presets) & 5 (Looper & Scenes)

Attachments

• FM3_FC12_MC8_all-layouts_20210101_151457.fclayout
    84.9 KB · Views: 1
here's an OMG15 from fractal audio . set banksize to 10 . knob 1 on fm3 is 10 presets , knob 2 8 scenes plus tuner and tap , and knob 3 is 12 effects on fc 12. use layout 8

Attachments

• OMG15.fclayout
    84.5 KB · Views: 0
Back
Top Bottom