FM3 KILLED USB PORT/SLOT

I sympathize with you, as an option, to control the device using the fm3 editor - you can use the usb - midi adapter Roland um-one, it works 100% if you are interested in details, I can drop you a link to the guide, but it is in Russian, but everything is there is it clear

Thank you so much for sharing this very helpful information!!
My FM3 also stopped connecting via USB and I searched for a way to connect via MIDI and thought about buying a USB-MIDI cable.
I was just about to give up and yesterday saw your video and it gave me new hope!
Just ordered the Roland UM-one and will update if it works for me as well.

Just a question andreee: did you connect the Roland UM-One USB side directly to the PC right? not to the audio interface did you?
Thanks.

Thank you so much for sharing this very helpful information!!
My FM3 also stopped connecting via USB and I searched for a way to connect via MIDI and thought about buying a USB-MIDI cable.
I was just about to give up and yesterday saw your video and it gave me new hope!
Just ordered the Roland UM-one and will update if it works for me as well.

Just a question andreee: did you connect the Roland UM-One USB side directly to the PC right? not to the audio interface did you?
Thanks.
Yes, of course, the usb port of the adapter to the computer, the din connector (with the inscription connect to midi in) into the FM3 midi input, the din connector (with the inscription connect to midi out) into the midi out FM3, in the settings of the FM3 editor settings-preference-controls- refresh rate, you need to put a slow

Yes, of course, the usb port of the adapter to the computer, the din connector (with the inscription connect to midi in) into the FM3 midi input, the din connector (with the inscription connect to midi out) into the midi out FM3, in the settings of the FM3 editor settings-preference-controls- refresh rate, you need to put a slow
Thanks a lot! I will try once the adapter arrives.

Would using UM-One allow update using Fractal Bot?
Did connect to Fractal Bot,Just wondering if it would work.
Can't risk any damage to the FM 3,it functions fine as is.
Can live with no usb for now.Have spoken to support about repair.Could be costly.$$$.
Would like to update to latest .

Would using UM-One allow update using Fractal Bot?
Did connect to Fractal Bot,Just wondering if it would work.
Can't risk any damage to the FM 3,it functions fine as is.
Can live with no usb for now.Have spoken to support about repair.Could be costly.$$$.
Would like to update to latest .
Backup using the fractal bot is done without any problems, I personally tested it, I haven’t tried it yet, but I’m 90% sure that updating the firmware in this way should also work. As soon as I have the courage to try it out, I will definitely write here.

thank you for the info, same problem here. I wrote to fractal suport and they told m to try the midi option (super fast reply). I have an usb-midi adapter but id not the roland, should work?

thank you for the info, same problem here. I wrote to fractal suport and they told m to try the midi option (super fast reply). I have an usb-midi adapter but id not the roland, should work?
I tried about 9 different midi interfaces, including those built into various audio interfaces. Earned only Roland. There is information that this one still works, but I personally have not tried it. He works for a friend.

Attachments

• fNNxymg1rM4.jpg
    fNNxymg1rM4.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 15
  • VzEbtebnSnc.jpg
    VzEbtebnSnc.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 15
I'm using an old M-Audio adapter.It is working nicely,but very slowly.I have installed Austin Buddy presets with it,and even backed up the existing presets,one bank at a time.FM3 edit works,too.My usb port died while I was on FW 5.03 .So I'm hoping midi to usb will allow me to update it.

I'm using an old M-Audio adapter.It is working nicely,but very slowly.I have installed Austin Buddy presets with it,and even backed up the existing presets,one bank at a time.FM3 edit works,too.My usb port died while I was on FW 5.03 .So I'm hoping midi to usb will allow me to update it.
in the settings of the FM3 editor settings-preference-controls- refresh rate, you need to put a slow
this will significantly increase the speed of the editor

in the settings of the FM3 editor settings-preference-controls- refresh rate, you need to put a slow
this will significantly increase the speed of the editor
Yes,thanks I have set refresh to slow.Editor seems fine .A little patience pays off.Fractal Bot eats a lot of time to do backups.Have you tried to do an update yet?I've written to Fas Support but its the weekend.I don't want to brick my FM3,so,I'll wait til I hear from them.At least now,after reading this thread I am able to edit,move presets around and import and export them,too.

Has anyone successfully updated their Axe using midi?Can it be done safely?
There is a user here Anton Aristov, from a conversation with him, he successfully managed to update the firmware using the midi interface in the photos above. I myself have not tried it yet, I'm waiting for the release of 6.02

I received much help from both Mark and Michael from support.Here is the latest response from Fractal team this morning:
Hello Gus,
I have just verified that you can send Firmware updates over MIDI using Fractal-Bot. I used a MIDI interface with both IN and OUT/THRU connected. Fractal-Bot would only properly communicate (showing green check and Firmware version) if I selected an empty preset or boot while holding the HOME button. I also had to manually select both in and out ports.

If you only have one MIDI cable, it may be possible to update using Utility mode, however when I attempted this there seemed to be an issue with the buffer size as the progress bars were totally out of sync. I've asked for more information from the engineering team on the proper buffer delay setting in this situation. But, if you are able to get two-way communication then the update should succeed.

the computer needed more signal power than the fm3 puts out.
That's..... that's not a thing dude. Unless your USB cable is 100 feet long.

How old is that cable?
How long is it?
Have you used a multimeter to determine connectivity throughout the entire length for every sire in the bundle?
Lots of people blame the unit or their computer when it's just the cable.

AND cables can go bad just sitting there. You don't even have to connect it and disconnect it a bunch of times. It just happens because nothing in the entire USB world is designed well.

Do the fault isolation. Use your head:
Check your cables with a multimeter.
Change your cables.
Use that cable on another device and see if it works.
Try a different computer with the FM3 or another device.

Sorry to say it but if you're all the way out there in Bulgaria you gotta learn al the combinations and devise a method to do fault isolation. You have to be sure that the issue is actually with the FM3.

May as advice for the future.
That's why I used an USB-extender for the FM3 that I've mounted on floorbard, to prevent damage by plugged cable that gets tension.
I also do this with my FM9 now.
Can you share what you use? I have been wanting to implement the same.

Back
Top Bottom