FM3 KILLED USB PORT/SLOT

Angel Demirev

Hello to everyone!
I cannot connect my FM3 to my Mac anymore, I have tried to connect it to other computers, its the same.
It's not harmed or broken, but it doesn't work at all. So, I had to go to professional to see it, and with the thermal camera we saw that actually the USB is connected to the CPU motherboard so it's impossible to repair, is it like that?
Please if someone had some experience let me know.
Regards!

May as advice for the future.
That's why I used an USB-extender for the FM3 that I've mounted on floorbard, to prevent damage by plugged cable that gets tension.
I also do this with my FM9 now.

Same. It was clear from reading the forum that the USB port is vulnerable to damage, so as soon as the FM3 arrived I connected it once to a feedthrough on my board (heavy duty chassis-mounted Neutrik …) and that’s what I connect/disconnect.

This happened to me. I now use a powered usb hub. It was maybe $15 and it plugs into an outlet. That did it for me. It appears that the FM3 requires slightly more electricity to run than the computer's usb ports output stably. Many users say the fm3 works intermittently and that means there is a fluctuation in power. I would try that first.

It appears that the FM3 requires slightly more electricity to run than the computer's usb ports output stably.
The FM3 is not powered by the USB. For best connectivity, attach the modeler directly to the computer.

A powered USB hub helps for devices that don’t have their own power supply, and, if multiple unpowered devices are on an unpowered hub and they draw their power from the host machine, then, yes, they can draw too much and affect the others. I have seven or eight external drives with a mix of self-powered and USB-powered connected to a single powered hub that is very reliable, and all told, I probably have close to twenty various USB devices across the computer’s built-in hub, and three powered hubs.

Depending on the devices, it can take some work figuring out which ones need to go where, but good quality high-speed hubs help a lot. Poor quality hubs are a nightmare. Some PCs have an unpowered hub on the chassis, so it’s important to check the connection.

Many users say the fm3 works intermittently and that means there is a fluctuation in power.
It might mean that. Or it might mean that the computer shuts down drives and attached peripherals when it goes to sleep. For instance, on macOS, it helps to adjust the Energy Saver settings to not put drives to sleep.

I have all three modelers directly attached to my iMac Pro and powered on 24/7 and the connections are very stable, even when the computer sleeps.

Last edited:
The FM3 is not powered by the USB. For best connectivity, attach the modeler directly to the computer.

A powered USB hub helps for devices that don’t have their own power supply, and, if multiple unpowered devices are on an unpowered hub and they draw their power from the host machine, then, yes, they can draw too much and affect the others. I have seven or eight external drives with a mix of self-powered and USB-powered connected to a single powered hub that is very reliable, and all told, I probably have close to twenty various USB devices across the computer’s built-in hub, and three powered hubs.

Depending on the devices, it can take some work figuring out which ones need to go where, but good quality high-speed hubs help a lot. Poor quality hubs are a nightmare. Some PCs have an unpowered hub on the chassis, so it’s important to check the connection.

It might mean that. Or it might mean that the computer shuts down drives and attached peripherals when it goes to sleep. For instance, on macOS, it helps to adjust the Energy Saver settings to not put drives to sleep.

I have all three modelers directly attached to my iMac Pro and powered on 24/7 and the connections are very stable, even when the computer sleeps.

Yea I wrote that poorly as I wasn't thinking right, should have been the other way around where the computer needed more signal power than the fm3 puts out. But this powered hub thing was suggested by another user here and worked for me and I believe others, too.

where the computer needed more signal power than the fm3 puts out.
Um… no, that doesn’t make sense either. The FM3 meets the USB specs, which is ensured by the USB chip. If the FM3 didn’t put out enough power we’d see consistent problems across a huge number of units over the time the unit has been shipping.

The hubs, poor or bad cables, cable runs that exceed the specs, or device conflicts, are outside the scope of the modeler or computer to control, those fall on us.

Yes, a powered hub can help and can even help make up for wiring that is not up to spec or conflicts because it reconditions the signal but it doesn’t work magic. I have always had powered hubs and had problems because I had things plugged in wrong.

Best contact support. They had me do the following, although i had like 6 computers, 3 worked , 3 didn’t, dealer changed the unit.

one tip from G66 is make sure the computer and FM3 is on the same power line/source, you can have small voltage differentials, when powering on/off.

best of luck

Navigate to Setup page
2. Press both the 'C' and 'D' encoder knobs together repeatedly until you see 'Debug' in the list of options
3. Navigate to the Debug page
4. Connect the Mac which doesn't work to the FM3 via USB
5. Take a picture of the debug screen and attach it to the ticket.

May as advice for the future.
That's why I used an USB-extender for the FM3 that I've mounted on floorbard, to prevent damage by plugged cable that gets tension.
I also do this with my FM9 now.
Same. It was clear from reading the forum that the USB port is vulnerable to damage, so as soon as the FM3 arrived I connected it once to a feedthrough on my board (heavy duty chassis-mounted Neutrik …) and that’s what I connect/disconnect.
Please, share a photos

Hello to everyone!
I cannot connect my FM3 to my Mac anymore, I have tried to connect it to other computers, its the same.
It's not harmed or broken, but it doesn't work at all. So, I had to go to professional to see it, and with the thermal camera we saw that actually the USB is connected to the CPU motherboard so it's impossible to repair, is it like that?
Please if someone had some experience let me know.
Regards!
I sympathize with you, as an option, to control the device using the fm3 editor - you can use the usb - midi adapter Roland um-one, it works 100% if you are interested in details, I can drop you a link to the guide, but it is in Russian, but everything is there is it clear

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom