FM3 just showed up

Devilgear

Well now. UPS just dropped off my new FM3. I had a chance to sit down and go over some presets for about an hour and WOW. Im impressed. Im not the biggest fan of modelers per say. I did like my amps and cabs, but it was getting to be too much to lug around so I looked for an alternative and it led me here. Damn glad I did. I cant wait to deep dive into it all. Great job FAS. You have a new fan.

When I got mine I was blown away by the factory presets also. I can tell you it just keeps getting better from there

Enjoy!

Well now. UPS just dropped off my new FM3. I had a chance to sit down and go over some presets for about an hour and WOW. Im impressed. Im not the biggest fan of modelers per say. I did like my amps and cabs, but it was getting to be too much to lug around so I looked for an alternative and it led me here. Damn glad I did. I cant wait to deep dive into it all. Great job FAS. You have a new fan.

Hey @Devilgear! I could have written almost the same post since my FM3 arrived today too! So excited! It sounds so good. I’ll have to adjust few things but I’m so glad that getting good tone is very easy! Thru my QSC K8.2 it is glorious. I tried different IRs including some far-field IRs and I don’t thing I’ll miss my amp. In fact I switched to modellers few years ago so I didn’t miss my amp already but now I feel like it’s having an amp again while before I felt it was a little compromise. Ok I’m probably in the honeymoon phase but that’s the thinking at the moment!

Mine had a mini paint chip underneath that bugged me at first but it sounds so good I don’t want to send it back just for that minor cosmetic flaw (I’m the picky type!) and risk not having FM3 to play with in the meantime! I finally got one and it feels like I’m a kid on Christmas Day!

Cheers everyone!!!

Very cool you got yours today as well. Congrats. I just now got the FM3 going on my PC and starting to look at editing. Wow so much stuff and it sounds so good stock. I really liked the 65 bassman preset right off. Very sparkly and lots of dynamics. If found some really crazy and weird ones too and those were just as inspiring. Damn. Best piece of gear ive gotten in many many years.

Some folks would call that little paint chip "mojo".

Best of luck to you ... you're off on an amazing adventure!

To me this is the first device I own that has indeed "usable" Factory presets - a bit understated.
Coming from the AXE FX II my doubt was that the jump to FM3 might just be on the same level (less cpu power but newer firmware - maybe even similar sound wise) - but besides feeling balanced in every aspect, the "mojo" and "chime" in the little box is indeed a huge step up.

I'm new to fractal as well, and 2 weeks in and I'm still impressed every day. The first thing I did on day 1 was roll through the presets and was pretty surprised that most sounded good without tweaking (through headphones anyway, not so much my studio monitors). I'm well aware that most presets on most devices don't work well for various reasons (different playback system, guitar/pickups, playing styles, etc...) but these ones just seem to work.

That being said, since day 1, I haven't touched any of the presets. I built a couple patches, and a "template patch" that I keep the same chain and just switch out to a different amp and cab every time I sit down to play. So much fun. Eventually I'll learn what are my favorites and build more permanent patches, but right now I'm just having fun trying everything that's in there.

I think Fractal has a big winner here as the price point and form factor will bring in a lot of new customers. I had been following Fractal since the Axe II and AX8 days, and wanted to try one out, but they were a bit out of my price range that I'm comfortable with. When the FM3 was released, I thought it hit the perfect price point that I was comfortable with as a home hobby guitarist.

I completely agree on the price point. I totally thought I'd be more than it is. I really wanted the AX FX III, but could not swing it for now. I'm very happy with the FM3 so far and may even get a III in the future as well? It's the first device I've had that had great stock presets and show cased what it can do from simple amp and cab things, to wild crazy synth patches. Very impressed

Well guess I'm also one of the lucky ones that received my FM3 this week - arrived Monday; swapped it in place of my AX8; installed V2.0 B1 (being adventurous) and then turned it off. So busy with work, I didn't get a chance to start playing until last night.

Decided to add to the collection of toys (it is Christmas after all) but couldn't really justify the full on Axe-FX III. (Canadian dollar to US exchange rate REALLY sucks!) I've been using the AX8 for a couple of years, a Axe-FX II before that and the Ultra before that so I guess I'm a bit of a fan boy! I love f the AX8 and would have been happy with it forever but GAS got the better of me!

Home setup is FM3/AX8 controlled via MIDI using XTONE AIRSTEP * AIRSTEP Lite + various additional momentary & latching switches + expression pedals -> via coax S\PIDIF (Output 1) to a S.M.S.L SU-8 DAC (I also use this DAC via USB with my computer) -> NobSound XLR Switch => THX AAA 789 Headphone Amp / Pair of Yamaha HS-7s.

I just figured out this morning that I can route the computer audio to FM3 USB Audio input then back out through Output 1 to the DAC so both computer and FM3 enter the DAC via the same COAX link (super convenient - no switching DAC input any more like AX8). Sure I could just use a mixer but that's just more stuff and desk space is at a premium.

So far, presets sound great!! I'll need some time to get used to things but everything seems typical Fractal so I'm sure it'll not take long.

First thing I need to figure out is how to insert an actual tube amp head (via Captor load box) into the middle of a preset chain. Did this with a lot of presets on the AX8 using the FX Loop block. Super simple swapping out modeled amps for real amps on scene changes. Didn't find an FX Loop block so I'm assuming that I can do the same thing using Input 2/output 2 blocks - will try it today.

Anyways - HAPPY FRIDAY!!! This is going to be a fun weekend.

Back
Top Bottom