FM3 FM3 is AMAZING for blues-rock vintage tones

Olli_A

Hi all! I had FM3 for a while last summer and I created some presets back then and also recorded some noodling around clips of them. I sold the FM3 because I didn't see myself gigging with it and am now waiting for an FM9.

All I can say is that is sounded and felt amazing to play and I loved the tweakability. I'm impressed how amp-like it sounded in the end, and the feel was good too. Amazing response and dynamics and really has that kind of snappiness and punchiness I want from my amps. Now listening back to these after long time there really is nothing much I hear that would hint for me that these were recorded with a digital modeller and not an amp in a studio.

Here's the clips I recorded, but unfortunately I don't remember what amps I used for each clip and also don't have the presets saved or anything, but it's mostly fender - marshall - suhr badger stuff played with a stratocaster that had tex mex pickups. I only used IR:s from the Fractal library. The clips are quite long and only random noodling, but maybe you'll enjoy some of the sounds :)

Last edited:
Hi all! I had FM3 for a while last summer and I created some presets back then and also recorded some noodling around clips of them. I sold the FM3 because I didn't see myself gigging with it and am now waiting for an FM9.

All I can say is that is sounded and felt amazing to play and I loved the tweakability. I'm impressed how amp-like it sounded in the end, and the feel was good too. Amazing response and dynamics and really has that kind of snappiness and punchiness I want from my amps. Now listening back to these after long time there really is nothing much I hear that would hint for me that these were recorded with a digital modeller and not an amp in a studio.

Here's the clips I recorded, but unfortunately I don't remember what amps I used for each clip and also don't have the presets saved or anything, but it's mostly fender - marshall - suhr badger stuff played with a stratocaster that had tex mex pickups. I only used IR:s from the Fractal library. The clips are quite long and only random noodling, but maybe you'll enjoy some of the sounds :)

Edit: Cannot add a link to the sound files as this forum doesn't allow links?
I also tend toward the more bluesy tones usually. If you sold yours last summer, then it's only gotten better about twice since then.

If you want to post a sound clip the easiest way is to post to Soundcloud and then post the link.

I also tend toward the more bluesy tones usually. If you sold yours last summer, then it's only gotten better about twice since then.

If you want to post a sound clip the easiest way is to post to Soundcloud and then post the link.
Now I got it to work, thanks! I really look forward to the FM9 whenever my time comes.

Too bad you don't recall the amps you used. Could definitely tell you were using a single coil. Thanks for posting.

Some nice Strat tones and playing. Some super cool licks in there. I heard different influences, but a lot had a Ritchie Blackmore feel. Really sweet!! Those clips will make anyone waiting for a FM3 or FM9 and also loves bluesy Strat tones have a meltdown until they get it.

Also as @fcs101 said, you’re only going to love it more. There has definitely been improvements in the amp modeling that you’ll really dig. More articulate and tighter feel among other stuff.

Some nice Strat tones and playing. Some super cool licks in there. I heard different influences, but a lot had a Ritchie Blackmore feel. Really sweet!! Those clips will make anyone waiting for a FM3 or FM9 and also loves bluesy Strat tones have a meltdown until they get it.

Also as @fcs101 said, you’re only going to love it more. There has definitely been improvements in the amp modeling that you’ll really dig. More articulate and tighter feel among other stuff.
I really cannot wait! And thank you, I'm glad if someone finds inspiration in those clips! Because they are only random noodling while having my own meltdown of how good the sound and feel was, I wasn't planning on sharing those clips :D Just wanted to really inspect how it sounds to me so I recorded it.

I must say I really fell in love with Fractal :D I own HX Stomp currently as a multipurpose unit and while it is also amazing little thing, the sound, feel and response of the amp modelling in Fractal is just another level for me. I don't know if it's wise to start a comparison here, but I also love how Fractal keeps updating the models. In line 6 you can hear a difference in quality between older amp models and newer ones imo. Not to throw any shade cause I love my stomp, but really looking forward to FM9 and some sweet gigs and home sessions with it.

I must say I really fell in love with Fractal :D I own HX Stomp currently as a multipurpose unit and while it is also amazing little thing, the sound, feel and response of the amp modelling in Fractal is just another level for me. I don't know if it's wise to start a comparison here, but I also love how Fractal keeps updating the models. In line 6 you can hear a difference in quality between older amp models and newer ones imo. Not to throw any shade cause I love my stomp, but really looking forward to FM9 and some sweet gigs and home sessions with it.
So now you've got me curious as to why you sold the FM3 in the first place. I've also used L6 and (realizing folks have different preferences/concerns) I was sold on Fractal from the first moment. I know you said above you couldn't see yourself gigging with it, but it seems like you probably were using something, so I'm just curious.

So now you've got me curious as to why you sold the FM3 in the first place. I've also used L6 and (realizing folks have different preferences/concerns) I was sold on Fractal from the first moment. I know you said above you couldn't see yourself gigging with it, but it seems like you probably were using something, so I'm just curious.
Well it's because I have not yet made the transition from traditional amps into modelling when it comes to gigging. I have Stomp as a backup in case amp blows up, and I use it for some effects live as well and as audio interface sometimes when recording guitars.

FM3 came close for me to break the ice for live use but with the 3-switch layout I didn't feel comfortable with it and didn't at the time want to get another controller too. Also was a bit hesitant with creating presets without being able to switch amps without the small audio gap between scenes (and between presets of course). But the FM9 is a no brainer for me with the double DSP power (dual amps) and more switches. It ticks all my boxes.

That, and also I needed the money elsewhere so I chose not to hold onto it at the time even tho I loved it :) FM9 will come to stay however.

Well it's because I have not yet made the transition from traditional amps into modelling when it comes to gigging. I have Stomp as a backup in case amp blows up, and I use it for some effects live as well and as audio interface sometimes when recording guitars.

FM3 came close for me to break the ice for live use but with the 3-switch layout I didn't feel comfortable with it and didn't at the time want to get another controller too. Also was a bit hesitant with creating presets without being able to switch amps without the small audio gap between scenes (and between presets of course). But the FM9 is a no brainer for me with the double DSP power (dual amps) and more switches. It ticks all my boxes.

That, and also I needed the money elsewhere so I chose not to hold onto it at the time even tho I loved it :) FM9 will come to stay however.
That makes sense, you'd just mentioned the Stomp and I was going to seriously have to question your tastes if you chose that over an FM3! :smiley: There are several folks on here that have given up tube amps for Fractal. I think the FM9 will serve you well.

That makes sense, you'd just mentioned the Stomp and I was going to seriously have to question your tastes if you chose that over an FM3! :smiley: There are several folks on here that have given up tube amps for Fractal. I think the FM9 will serve you well.
Haha! I didn't want to go into comparisons with the Helix but here we go anyway :D I prefer Fractal modelling by miles. Mostly because of the feel, dynamics and snappiness or punchiness of it. With HX Stomp I love it as a multipurpose unit in a very small package.

Haha! I didn't want to go into comparisons with the Helix but here we go anyway :D I prefer Fractal modelling by miles. Mostly because of the feel, dynamics and snappiness or punchiness of it. With HX Stomp I love it as a multipurpose unit in a very small package.
You're good. No one's going to go off the rails around here if you like L6; some folks on here even use them at times. I've used them, Boss, and Zoom of late. Anyone still in the game at this point has usable stuff. For me, at least, there was just a glaring advantage of Fractal over the others from the moment I first used it. The Stomp is attractive due to size, but I just know disappointment would set in after the new wore off (based on my past experience).

Back
Top Bottom