FM3 into tube amp loop return, OR with SS power amp into cab??

EDIT: Never mind, found a thread from 4 years back that discussed this topic :)

Hi guys, sorry i this has been up before but can't find an answer to this using the search function.
I know a lot of guys (like Leon for one, Englund for another on tour with The Haunted) use the FM3
(with PA-modelling off) into the FX return of a tube amp, into a real cab.

But, could I get comparable results going into a SS power amp like the Duncan Power Stage,
and leave the power amp modelling ON in the FM3, and then go into a real cab?

Anyone have experience with both scenarios, pros cons etc?

Last edited:

Hi guys, sorry i this has been up before but can't find an answer to this using the search function.
I know a lot of guys (like Leon for one, Englund for another on tour with The Haunted) use the FM3

But, could I get comparable results going into a SS power amp like the Duncan Power Stage,

I have both options :) here are all the different variations that I've been using or am using with my FM3.

Option 1 > The tube goodness!
Mooen GEC5 as a looper for my real drives, compressor, NoiseGate etc + the FM3 in the FX loop of a real tube amp. The FM3 is then just a second noise gate and all time based FX. The Mooen also sends MIDI to the FM3 to change scenes etc. This is a sort of 4CM but the amp supplies the tone, not the FM3.

Option 2 > The tube power
FM3 as a preamp with power amp modelling OFF and running direct into FX return of the amp. I have EL34 as well as 6L6 based amps. The FM3 supplies everything except the power amp.

Option 3 > The Matrix
The most lightweight and compact is to run the FM3 into the Matrix and then the cab. I like this setup, because it's easy to dial in and light.

All the options are amazing. It depends if you can tell the "feel" difference between the FM3 and the real amp or not. The hybrids are quite complex in terms of cables etc. The matrix one is super simple, just configure everything in the FM3 and that's it. Now with Cygnus, I really prefer this setup because you have it all in one.

If you have questions about this, there are a lot of knowledgeable people on the forum that can help. My only contribution would be based on my experience with a few of the common power amp options that people use - PowerStage, Orange Pedal Baby, Tube Amps, Mooer Baby Bomb, Tech21 Power Engine, etc....

If you have any specific questions about those products or want to know more about my experience, feel free to ask. YMMV

Back
Top Bottom