FM3 into the return… SS vs Tube?

I totally get that this had been discussed a lot. I read through the posts, but…

I just wanted to start a discussion based off my experience with limited gear.

I have a Mesa Boogie Stiletto Ace 2x12, and a SS Crate head with a 4x12. The main idea here is that I’ve got access to a tube return and a SS return, and both go through quality speakers.

I can’t help but feel I get the most consistent results through the SS power amp. It’s as though the solid state will amplify the modelers intended sound, and it sounds full and great.

The tube power amp is… a bit weird? It feels more 2D through the tubes. Is that odd? Why would this occur?

Has anyone had a similar experience where SS worked better for them, or am I doing something wrong? I leave the power amp modeling on in both cases. Great sound through the SS, and through the tubes it’s questionable. Perhaps more colored?

I can for sure say this Mesa is prone toward the type of shrill fizzy sound I’m hearing added onto it, but it also feels less… 3D? Dynamic? Hard to describe. It takes a lot of meticulous tweaking to get this amp where you want it. Is this affecting my results? I always thought going into the return mostly bypassed that issue.

There are no rules and while there are tube power amps which will sound better vs. SS amps, there could be the opposite as well.
Generally speaking, tube amp colors the sound very much.
SS amp will color less.
The idea is to get the most transparent amp and in this case, SS amps are closer.
But as mentioned there are no rules, for example. I used to run the Axe through a Mesa 2:90 and the sound was colored in a very good way, the sound was mighty!
However with a Matrix GT1000 I had great results and less weight, size and maintenance free (no tube headache) - SS amp wins.
Running the Axe via Mesa 20:20 sounds bad! SS amp wind again.
I run the Axe also in our rehearsal space via Marshall TSL (return) head, ENGL Powerball (return) head and also Laney Iron hart head, all sounded very nice.

No rules try, experiment and decide.

Back
Top Bottom