FM3 into PS170?

Just wrapped the schedule for the season, almost all acoustic duo gigs. So, the quandary about band backline solutions is taking a back seat.
I have the ASC-10 on route and I'm looking forward to spending quality time at home and at a few gigs to see if it works for my situation.
The powerstage PS200 looks more appealing than trying the PS170 (for a third time) and that's $500.
The Friedman with my MF rewards came in under $900 taxed and shipped so it's worth a gamble.
I have not ruled out a second home/live amp solution with or without FM3 integration using a Revv D20 (ticks a lot of boxes).
I can't commit to the Powerstage rig at this time.
The acoustic shows feed my habit (and my UPS bill)

Awesome thank you! I have a 50 watt 5150 that I was considering trying with an FM3. Do you ever use 4CM or only direct into the return?

I tested 4CM going back and forth between some FM3 models and my real amp’s FX loop. In the end I decided there was basically no significant difference other than I can tweak the FM3 model way more than my amp even just using the Ideal page, let alone if I start using the EQ page or others. The FM3 models sound (and feel, with just a little tweaking) just as good as the real amp. So now, I just run into the FX loop and save myself the hassle of extra cables and complexity and avoid potential noise issues just that little bit more.

Have you tried the Pedal Baby, @Gasp100 ? I have been really digging on it. Though I went back to the Mustang and re-realized it's "glory" :D

I only did the FM3 + 170 into cab once sometime last year. ..

Ok so what's the deal. Does the Pedal Baby do the trick in terms of 'feel'? (I have tried tube power amps, other solid state power amps, and have a PS170 on the way, but I've read enough of both of your past posts to know that you think the PS170 is sterile)

Also, I'm using a 2x12 - assuming this will have enough power for 2x 50 (approx) Watt 8 Ohm speakers? My application is backline.

Ok so what's the deal. Does the Pedal Baby do the trick in terms of 'feel'? (I have tried tube power amps, other solid state power amps, and have a PS170 on the way, but I've read enough of both of your past posts to know that you think the PS170 is sterile)

Also, I'm using a 2x12 - assuming this will have enough power for 2x 50 (approx) Watt 8 Ohm speakers? My application is backline.

TBH it's definitely worth a shot and I'm considering the PS200 this go round, only because it has a bit more tone shaping options but the PS170 is a good piece of kit.
I actually gigged the AX8 + PS170 into Marshall Jube RI 2x12 and it was pretty great, I now realize that the cab was loaded with brand new NEO Creams and after having more experience with the NEO Creams I feel like the speakers themselves are a little hollow, sterile especially without being broken in.
Please report back with your findings! I'll do the same.

TBH it's definitely worth a shot and I'm considering the PS200 this go round, only because it has a bit more tone shaping options but the PS170 is a good piece of kit.
I actually gigged the AX8 + PS170 into Marshall Jube RI 2x12 and it was pretty great, I now realize that the cab was loaded with brand new NEO Creams and after having more experience with the NEO Creams I feel like the speakers themselves are a little hollow, sterile especially without being broken in.
Please report back with your findings! I'll do the same.
I just got the 170 today. I'll let you know. I may try a PEQ or GEQ or filter Block as a high cut and low boost if needed. We will see. I'm cautiously optimistic

Hi all, late answering to the topic,... but I will share my own experience of my preferred setup after several investigations in many Forums. Just sharing here in case it may be usefull to somebody (feel free to use or discard)

Using :
FM3 + PowerStage 170 + CABS Marshal 1936 & 1960
Les Paul & ESP Horizon II

SETTINGS & TODO’s:
  • INPUT sIgnal - Setup I/O INPUT 1 PAD (Close to 0 as possible)
  • On the Speaker page of the Amp block,
    • set Speak[1]er Drive, Speaker Compression to zero
    • Thump to zero or as desired
    • Set the LF Resonant Frequency to match the resonance of your connected cabinet
    • on the Advanced page of the amp block, set the Output Mode to “SS PWR AMP + CAB”.
  • GLOBAL SETTINGS: CONFIG PAGE: Speaker Impedance Curve (same as AMP Block above!)
  • Output 1 is ready to be connected to consumer line level inputs (-10 dbV no 4dB)
  • Output 2 has both LINE LEVEL and UNITY gain settings (recomm Unity , but then -> Output 2 Boost/Pad to review db Boost)
  • To set PEDAL1 Global Volume: SETUP: MIDI/Remote: Other. + select Output 2 + Select “PEDAL 1 (EXP/SW TIP)”
  • SETUP: Global: Config: Power Amp Modeling set to “ON”
  • SETUP: I/O: Audio and set Mode for the desired output to “COPY L->R”. (Decide)
  • the FM3 factory presets may be updated by Fractal Audio
  • SCENE REVERT OFF - MIDI/Remote menu under SETUP. 2. NAV to SCENE REVERT and set it “ON” or “OFF” as desired (OFF is desired)

REMINDER & Advices:
  • When placed in series, time-based effects like delay and reverb are usually best with their Bypass Mode set to “MUTE FX IN
  • Scenes cannot change block parameters, but Scene Controllers can. Four different knobs can be used with modifiers to change the value of desired parameters. See the tutorial on p. 70 for more on this
  • If you are using Drive in the Preamp section of the Cab, adjust that block instead of the amp. (Drive on CAB???)
  • When any compressor, gate, or ducking effect is positioned after the amp, it’s necessary to adjust the level of that particular block (or follows it) instead of the amp
  • While you can’t copy channels across blocks or presets on the FM3 itself, you can do this in FM3- Edit. You can also save the settings for any channel to the Block Library on your computer for instant recall whenever you need them

BEST PRACTICES to EVALUATE
  • A good practice for professional environments is to set any un-used scenes to whatever settings would cause the least trouble if they were recalled accidentally
  • The Scene Controller system provides a way for individual parameters or groups of parameters to have different values in different scenes.
  • CHANNELS & MODIFIERS any modifiers are shared across all Channels of a block. This is a great avoiding the need to apply the same modifier multiple times as you change channels.
  • Each scene has its own settings for four Scene Controllers
  • Scenes interact with special footswitch functions called Control Switches
  • The Setlists/Songs feature allows you to create structured lists of presets and scenes to load in a specific order when you play live ”Setlists & Songs” on p. 126
  • WAH: (I personally need to evaluate best setup (personally not a Wah experienced user, so I am wondering to automate)
    • ENVELOPE FOLLOWER
    • LFO setup?
    • Sequencer

Enjoy!

Thanks a lot for sharing this info @spine_sat . Much appreciated.

What speakers do you use in your Marshall cabs? Are both cabs 8 ohms input?
Are you also connecting Out1 to FOH or just using Out2?

Last edited:
How do you figure out that value?
Leon did a video on that topic back when he was still using the AX8. I have looked it up but couldn’t find it.

Basically you use a synth block and sweep through the frequency until the cab resonates the most. That’s the resonance frequency. You need some volume to make it work properly.

Back
Top Bottom