FM3 into power amp (currently tube power amp) - Speaker Imp Curve, LB-2-US/UK?

Gasp100

Power User
Testing FM3 into tube amp FX return, should I be using the Load Box speaker resonance choices?
What are the optimal settings when running into a tube power amp (or tube amp FX return)?

I'm not sure there's an "optimal" setting, it just depends on what kind of amp you're running it into and what sounds good to you. Going into the return of an amp you'd probably want to set it to resistive or at least lower the hi/low resonances on the speaker tab. For a fairly neutral power amp like a Power Station I'd just set it to whatever curve sounds best.

With a regular guitar poweramp try “resistive load” but with something more neutral like a Fryette Power Station I liked finding a setting that matches my real cab. At louder volume resistive load would probably still be the right setting. Try them out and use what sounds and feels best to you.

Are you trying this with your Synergy amp? I know nothing about them but I assume it's meant to be clean and not break up.

The best setting depends on your tube amp. I had great results using Resistive Load with my 5150. Almost identical tone compared to a PS170 or Pedal Baby with impedance curve when doing A/B/C tests.

However with the Origin 20, I had to adjust sag settings as well to get something enjoyable.... perhaps turning power amp modeling completely off would suit some people

It depends on your amp. The 5150 power section isn't designed to break up, whereas the Origin is. I didn't like the Origin results nearly as much as the other amps listed because it involves too much AFX virtual power amp tweaking and subpar results compared to other options.

If you know your amp is clean, Resistive Load works pretty well, for me anyway

Hello!

setup>global setings

Power Amp modeling - off
Cabinet modeling - bypassed

TBH I'm simply not a fan of poweramp modeling = OFF. For many of the amp types it seems to render them unuseable, or at least unuseable if I want output 1 with cab on to FOH, output 2 with cab off to real power amp cab.
I've been doing more testing with the TC electronic BAM200 power amp (it's really a bass amp) and I have it sounding pretty good using the 1x12 Brit M65 impedance curve. My cab is a 1x12 loaded with Creamback M65.
BUT ----------------------------------------------------------
Running it into my Synergy SYN-30 FX return (big, loud, clean, 6L6 power and big iron) it's clearly louder, bolder and MUCH fuller... in fact, the core amps are way TOO FULL.
I'm specifically looking at a Fryette Power Station because of it's clean power (and all of the other great things it does) and I feel that could mate with the FM3 very well. It's 15lbs, a little awkward but not too bad so that it could be a possible gigging option.
For ease of use and portability the BAM200 is great; but there is STILL simply no denying tube power just sounds and feels better to play through!

Hey man. I was using my Fm3 into Fryette PS 100 before I decided to go direct. It sounds awesome. I leave power amp modeling on and I actually dont set impedance curve to resistive unless I'm playing real loud. If there's amp models that have a sharp, fake top end that I dont like, I'll lower the high end in the impedance curve until it sounds natural.
Like the old adage in this forum, adjust with your ears, not your eyes.
I'm happy to answer any other questions about this :)

Back
Top Bottom