FM3 Internal/Passthrough Latency Measurements - Surprising Results?

It's not diminishing returns. It's irrelevant returns :). How are you connecting your Aurora to your computer? Yes, the Axe-FX III will have less internal latency.
AES DB25 out of Aurora to Lynx AES16e PciE card installed on my computer.

Sean Meredith-Jones

Bottom line: Latency in BOTH the FM3 and Axe Fx III is around 3ms NO MATTER WHAT you have in the preset; nothing, everything, one or two things. The only exception to this is the the Virtual Capo (and possibly other 100% wet pitch block effects) which adds about 17-18ms latency, bringing the total to around 20ms when engaged.

Bottom line: Latency in BOTH the FM3 and Axe Fx III is around 3ms NO MATTER WHAT you have in the preset; nothing, everything, one or two things. The only exception to this is the the Virtual Capo (and possibly other 100% wet pitch block effects) which adds about 17-18ms latency, bringing the total to around 20ms when engaged.
That's not true. Adding amp+cab block into empty preset in FM3 gives 4ms overall (analog output) latency. Drive and Reverb making it about 4.7ms. Exactly like in the original post.

EDIT:

Thats for my FM3 with 4.01 firmware

AES DB25 out of Aurora to Lynx AES16e PciE card installed on my computer.

Sean Meredith-Jones
Regardless of what the internal latency is in the FM3, your first choice for a rig should be: guitar->FM3->SPDIF->Aurora->AES->PCIe. Monitor direct from the Aurora. This is assuming FM3->USB doesn't work for you for some reason.

That would give you a robust rig that avoids superfluous conversions and avoids any issues with latency internal or external to the FM3.

That's not true. Adding amp+cab block into empty preset in FM3 gives 4ms overall (analog output) latency. Drive and Reverb making it about 4.7ms. Exactly like in the original post.

EDIT:

Thats for my FM3 with 4.01 firmware
That's fair; when I took my measurements, they weren't exactly the same for every single sound sample I tested every time, even within a 10-second window; some were higher, some were lower. I more or less count my margin of error (based on different measurements; a "range," you might call it) around 1.5-2ms. So 1.7ms and 4.7 are perfectly within reason based on my tests. I just averaged.

Regardless of what the internal latency is in the FM3, your first choice for a rig should be: guitar->FM3->SPDIF->Aurora->AES->PCIe. Monitor direct from the Aurora. This is assuming FM3->USB doesn't work for you for some reason.

That would give you a robust rig that avoids superfluous conversions and avoids any issues with latency internal or external to the FM3.
Yes, I have been contemplating that.... I need to wrap my head around the best way to do that because the aurora doesn't have spdif inputs.

Sean Meredith-Jones

That's fair; when I took my measurements, they weren't exactly the same for every single sound sample I tested every time, even within a 10-second window; some were higher, some were lower. I more or less count my margin of error (based on different measurements; a "range," you might call it) around 1.5-2ms. So 1.7ms and 4.7 are perfectly within reason based on my tests. I just averaged.
That's not really acceptable margin if its more than the value itself :)

That's not really acceptable margin if its more than the value itself :)
I take your point, but when you get down to the 3ms neighborhood, it's not realistic with outboard gear to split hairs to much finer resolution than that. It would be interesting to hear what became of that enhancement Cliff mentioned above, but it's hard to believe it would make a noticeable difference.

P.S. The OP started this thread not because there was any problem with latency, but because of a phasing issue with parallel paths. No amount of latency reduction will help with that.

Last edited:
I take your point, but when you get down to the 3ms neighborhood, it's not realistic with outboard gear to split hairs to much finer resolution than that. It would be interesting to hear what became of that enhancement Cliff mentioned above, but it's hard to believe it would make a noticeable difference.

P.S. The OP started this thread not because there was any problem with latency, but because of a phasing issue with parallel paths. No amount of latency reduction will help with that.
It is possible to measure with enough precision (so im getting the same results as OP) and to get less latency, even Cliff said that and confirmed the issue. 2 ms vs 4 ms is noticeable feel change, ask any pro musician...

You do realize that's about the same latency as sitting 2 ft vs 4 ft away from your amp?
Its not the same for the brain because with sound traveling by air you hear sound changing due to environment reflections (try no echo chamber and see how it feels), depending on how far you are, so I guess brain can adapt to it easier. Try to play with 20 ms artifical latency and compare feeling to sitting 8 meters from amp.

Its not the same for the brain because with sound traveling by air you hear sound changing due to environment reflections (try no echo chamber and see how it feels), depending on how far you are, so I guess brain can adapt to it easier. Try to play with 20 ms artifical latency and compare feeling to sitting 8 meters from amp.
Interesting. Are we slaughtering a sacred cow here?

Reflections reach your ears after the direct sound. Shortest path between two points is a straight line. If you are 8 meters away from the speaker there is no physical way possible for the sound waves to reach your ears sooner than it takes for the sound to travel over that shortest path of 8 meters. The reflections will make it sound different, but the latency involved will be exactly the same as if the source itself was delayed the same amount of time.

I can hear it / feel it + identify it starting at around 12-15ms - lower than that and I suspect I may be psychologically feeling it - like if you give me the same preset to play at 5ms and 10ms I may like the 5ms one better but not know exactly why.

Reflections reach your ears after the direct sound. Shortest path between two points is a straight line. If you are 8 meters away from the speaker there is no physical way possible for the sound waves to reach your ears sooner than it takes for the sound to travel over that shortest path of 8 meters. The reflections will make it sound different, but the latency involved will be exactly the same as if the source itself was delayed the same amount of time.
Good thing that we're not listening to one bit of sound at a time, but continuous flow of sound so those reflections are gonna reach ears later and create an overall feeling of how far you are. Like, what are we actually arguing here about, can you hear the difference in tonal quality of sound between being close to you or not? Isn't it the whole point of early reflections in reverb to create an environment and distance feeling? If so, there is a difference that brain can register. And theres no difference in pure artifical latency.

I can hear it / feel it + identify it starting at around 12-15ms - lower than that and I suspect I may be psychologically feeling it - like if you give me the same preset to play at 5ms and 10ms I may like the 5ms one better but not know exactly why.
Of course im talkin about feeling.

Like, guys, im not trying to convince anyone that fm3 is bad or you shouldnt use it. I noticed a weird technical problem and wanna help to solve it, because looks like it was solved before. And make that thing even better. It doesn't matter if you believe or feel the latency, if there is a doable way to improve it software side - let them know and fix it.

Look, there is no need for anechoic chambers or "pro" guitarists that shredhead approves of. All you have to do is insert a 1ms delay mix into your chain. If that suddenly makes your guitar unplayable, then you are sensitive to a 1ms delta in the latency and you should tell Cliff you are unhappy with the FM3 and tell him you think he needs to fix the internal latency.

I'd wager that in a blind test, most players would be hard pressed to recognize any single digit latency difference.
This is the reality despite what people are claiming. We're talking about a range of time faster than the human nervous system can even react. If it's something one is going to obsess over better to just go analog (but be careful measuring that system, you might be surprised what you find....)

Well, then put latency to, say, 9ms and go play something fast and rhythmically complicated, and then fall back to no latency (say, analog) and compare.

Back
Top Bottom