FM3 Input Pad Setting Question

VanDaven

Hello fellow Fractal users,
while I was recently mining for sounds (on 3.02 beta) it seemed to me that the Input Pad settings on my FM3 affect the signal a bit of the opposite of what is described in the manual:
"Input Pad adjustments do not affect gain levels or what you hear. As you pad the input of the A/D converter, the output is boosted by the same amount. This eliminates clipping but ensures unity gain."
To me it sounds more like anything above 18 dB Pad compresses / limits the sound (at least with a fairly high output passive pickup and a Fishman Fluence Modern - NOT hitting the Red on the input meter of course), reduces definition and attack and makes the low end a bit more "mushy" (a bit "mastervolume-up-on-plexi-ish").
Maybe that's pleasant and preferred by a majority of players, I personally prefer the better attack and dynamics that 18 dB of Input Pad offers.

As I have no idea whether that effect is achieved by actual compression, soft-limiting or impedance-related changes, it would be fantastic if someone could give a bit more information about what is really happening at the input stage of the FM3.

Thanks a lot!

Back
Top Bottom