FM3 in four cable method...Humbuster

fsharpminor

Inspired
I have been using my AX8 in a four cable setup. I had a loom made up with two humbusters to come from the ax8 outputs. Want to do the same with my fm3 when it arrives, can i rewire one of the humbusters to xlr? is there a specific schematic or will a balanced jack to xlr adapter work?
thanks

I have been using my AX8 in a four cable setup. I had a loom made up with two humbusters to come from the ax8 outputs. Want to do the same with my fm3 when it arrives, can i rewire one of the humbusters to xlr? is there a specific schematic or will a balanced jack to xlr adapter work?
thanks
HumBuster is only available in unbalanced Outputs. XLR Outputs ate balanced. Balanced connections use their balanced nature to reduce hum — but guitar amp inputs are unbalanced, so you don’t get a true balanced connection.

I'd just try a normal XLR -> TRS cable and engage the ground lift if you need it, but you may not need it.

I'd just try a normal XLR -> TRS cable and engage the ground lift if you need it, but you may not need it.
The ring (the “R” in “TRS”) won’t be connected to anything, and the ground lift will have no function. It might work fine, but you’ll get no “humbusting” out of it.

The ring (the “R” in “TRS”) won’t be connected to anything, and the ground lift will have no function. It might work fine, but you’ll get no “humbusting” out of it.
In a TRS cable the sleeve is used for ground. Surely if the ground lift is engaged there is no path to ground through the sleeve?

Reactions: Rex
Rex is correct that the ring will not be used so yes XLR to unbalanced TS is fine.
again I am confused, apologies for my ignorance. Because the cables are part of a loom, I am going to have to use an adaptor to get the trs end of the cable into the xlr output of the fm3. Shall I buy an xlr female to ts (unbalanced) 1/4" female adaptor. or an xlr female to trs (balanced) female 1/4" adaptor?

thanks for you time and your wisdom.

You can use Out2 in place of Out1 in 4CM with some clever panning and routing, which would allow you to use the Humbuster without an adapter. You should be able to search and find a couple threads describing how to set it up, if not I’ll try to post a link later. I found this easier and less noisy than using the XLR out with a TS adapter.

You can use Out2 in place of Out1 in 4CM with some clever panning and routing, which would allow you to use the Humbuster without an adapter. You should be able to search and find a couple threads describing how to set it up, if not I’ll try to post a link later. I found this easier and less noisy than using the XLR out with a TS adapter.
thanks for that, would that also enable one to use the fm3 as a preamp going to the valve poweramp on another preset without recabling? Thats one of the things that internal send and return on the fm3 make possible i think.

thanks for that, would that also enable one to use the fm3 as a preamp going to the valve poweramp on another preset without recabling? Thats one of the things that internal send and return on the fm3 make possible i think.
I don’t understand. It sounds like you want to use two presets at the same time. You can’t do that.

I don’t understand. It sounds like you want to use two presets at the same time. You can’t do that.
No, apologies if I wasn’t clear. I want to use 4cm in some presets, and then as a pre amp in others, like Leon Todd describes here

Without having to repatch cables.

No, apologies if I wasn’t clear. I want to use 4cm in some presets, and then as a pre amp in others, like Leon Todd describes here

Without having to repatch cables.

Okay, I get that you want to use 4CM in some presets. But I don’t understand what “then as a preamp” means.

Okay, I get that you want to use 4CM in some presets. But I don’t understand what “then as a preamp” means.
I mean use a preset with a modelled amp, have the power amp modelling disabled turning the supply sag to zero, then bypass the valve amps preamp and use the fm3 modelled pre amp going into the valve power amp section. If you look at the 2nd half of the video I posted it shows what I am attempting to explain. This would obviously be a different preset to one set up for 4CM

As long as you have the right cables for 4CM, you're good to go. You can set up a preset to not use the connection to your tube preamp.

Hi there. I just got my FM3 last night and followed the exact set up Leon Todd recommended in his video and followed the manual but I get a very week and buzzy sound from the amp in 4CMA set up (referring to Leon’s setup in the video) and no sound in 4CMB set up. Appreciate any help you can provide

Hi there. I just got my FM3 last night and followed the exact set up Leon Todd recommended in his video and followed the manual but I get a very week and buzzy sound from the amp in 4CMA set up (referring to Leon’s setup in the video) and no sound in 4CMB set up. Appreciate any help you can provide

I get zero sound trying to get the preamp model to work from the video. Cant figure that out.

Back
Top Bottom