FM3 in 4CM with a FC-12

burger

Curious if anyone is setting up in 4CM with the FM3 placed back with your amp, with nice short cables. Then only a FC-12, or 6, out in front. One cable to run for the controller, that’s it.

No from me, but it sounds like a nice setup. I’m all wireless (guitar, IEM), so out front it’s just an FC12 that is XLR connected.

I don’t see an issue with it, if that’s what you are asking. I use mine with the Axe III, but an FM3 would be no different. I’m also not using 4CM.

I just wanted to give you Kudos, because I mostly see the FM3 out front. It definitely doesn’t need to be.

That would be a pretty cool setup. However, I have to agree with the manual where it says (paraphrasing) that 4CM doesn’t really gain anything over running straight into the FX loop. I’ve definitely tested both ways quite a bit and it’s nice just running an XLR to TS cable from output 1 to the amp. I really do love my EVH 5153 50W stealth, but I get tones every bit as inspiring just using FM3 models into the EVH’s loop.

And actually I’ve been running another EVH amp (5153 50w EL34) the same way from output 1R. Dear God it’s amazing.

I've run 4cm it sounds great if you like your amp better... I tested and prefer models over my 15 watt 5150. Now I just use the 5150 for the power amp (run fm3 into fx return of 5150). Sounds great

so you can run fm3 straight to fx return instead of 4cm?..Is that only for post effects or can you use the amp and pre amp blocks as well?

However, I have to agree with the manual where it says (paraphrasing) that 4CM doesn’t really gain anything over running straight into the FX loop.

I found it odd that the manual makes such a subjective and dismissive statement about 4CM. For the player who wants to use the FM3 that way - like me - it’s a much better option than running straight into the effects loop. I’ve tried both and much prefer 4CM.

It’s also not hard to do, if you’re used to running the cables anyway (like I did with my HXFX before the FM3).

OP, I don’t use an FC12 (just the FM3), but I love the FM3 in 4CM with my Mesas. The effects are incredible, especially modulations and delays. It’s a killer effects setup if you’re an amp guy.

I'm tube amps all the way (I build them actually), so 4cm has always been my go to. However I do find 4 long cables, plus another for amp MIDI switching, a bit of a pain. I really want everything back at the amp with just a single XLR out to the footswitch. Should be a killer setup.

I found it odd that the manual makes such a subjective and dismissive statement about 4CM.

Ehhh. Maybe my paraphrase was misleading. Here’s the actual quote:

“The 4CM is fairly intricate and has questionable benefits compared to the setup called ‘Traditional Guitar Power Amp & Speakers’ on p 31.”

Fairly intricate? I’d say that’s a fact.

Questionable benefits? I’d say that’s obviously a fact, evidenced by my post followed immediately by yours.

If they said it had no benefit, I’d agree that’s just an opinion. But saying it’s questionable...well...clearly it is.

“The 4CM is fairly intricate and has questionable benefits compared to the setup called ‘Traditional Guitar Power Amp & Speakers’ on p 31.”

Questionable benefits? I’d say that’s obviously a fact, evidenced by my post followed immediately by yours.

If they said it had no benefit, I’d agree that’s just an opinion. But saying it’s questionable...well...clearly it is.
It wasn’t a ringing endorsement by FAS on 4CM. That’s the way I interpreted it but after watching Leon Todd’s video I feel much better going that route. That was my intention all along when I got the FM3. And Leon showed something that I wasn’t aware of when you go 4CM....you can still set up scenes?? just utilizing the power amp section of your amp and using FM3 amp modelling.

When using 4 cable method, I’m assuming I can run a short XLR/TS cable from the FM3 to a junction box on my board and then a regular TS cable from the junction box to the FX return???

It wasn’t a ringing endorsement by FAS on 4CM. That’s the way I interpreted it but after watching Leon Todd’s video I feel much better going that route. That was my intention all along when I got the FM3. And Leon showed something that I wasn’t aware of when you go 4CM....you can still set up scenes?? just utilizing the power amp section of your amp and using FM3 amp modelling.

I don’t think it’s fair to expect a ringing endorsement. Fractal is the leader in amp modeling and seems (rightfully imo) proud of their work in that area. The implication is that they believe their preamp models to be at least as good as a real amp’s preamp.

My experience leads me to agree with them. In fairness it did take me a bit to dial in a tone I like as much as my California Tweed (tested in 4CM) but I eventually got there.

Edit: and by no means am I saying someone else is wrong at all for preferring their own amp’s preamp. It’s totally subjective.

When using 4 cable method, I’m assuming I can run a short XLR/TS cable from the FM3 to a junction box on my board and then a regular TS cable from the junction box to the FX return???
Yep, that's a great way to A/B test you real amp vs the models

I don’t think it’s fair to expect a ringing endorsement. Fractal is the leader in amp modeling and seems (rightfully imo) proud of their work in that area. The implication is that they believe their preamp models to be at least as good as a real amp’s preamp.

My experience leads me to agree with them. In fairness it did take me a bit to dial in a tone I like as much as my California Tweed (tested in 4CM) but I eventually got there.

Edit: and by no means am I saying someone else is wrong at all for preferring their own amp’s preamp. It’s totally subjective.
You either get used to a mic’d up tone, or you don’t. It took me a long time to switch

No, it wasn't your paraphrasing. I was referring to the wording in the manual.

And “questionable“ is such a vague, subjective term, you can say it about any of the connection methods. For me, the overall benefits of an XLR connection using the amp models are “questionable” too, for example.

It's a manual - just tell me how to plug everything in. I don't need the writer's opinion on how I'm seeking to use the product. :tearsofjoy:

You either get used to a mic’d up tone, or you don’t. It took me a long time to switch

True. I’ve gotten used to it (using IRs—never used a real mic’d up cab) when playing through my monitors and the FM3 sounds great like that but I still love playing through my real cabs too.

Back
Top Bottom