• We would like to remind our members that this is a privately owned, run and supported forum. You are here at the invitation and discretion of the owners. As such, rules and standards of conduct will be applied that help keep this forum functioning as the owners desire. These include, but are not limited to, removing content and even access to the forum.

Please give yourself a refresher on the forum rules you agreed to follow when you signed up.

FM3 hot questions (and, hopefully, answers)

G

Greg Girardin

It would be nice if Fractal allowed users to load up either DSP however they wish, like Line 6 does with the Helix. If recording I won’t use a reverb on the unit, rather add it in the DAW. Hate seeing that DSP real estate go to waste.
So if you add an amp like say
A mesa JP red and a cab
In that above preset what would you
Lose ?

Anything beyond reverb 2

Could you still do wah pitch drive
Amp cab. Dual delays verb???
Correct. You would just lose Reverb 2.

Sorry for the blur. Cores are at 70/85%pp.jpg

jefferski

Fractal Fanatic
Not sure if it was answered yet, is C1 the fx and C2 the Amp and Reverb?

Also, does it have the Send/Return blocks so you can extend to multiple rows? Otherwise it's effectively only a 10 block matrix, because you have to have In/Out blocks... (AX8 and AxeII have 12, and the III has 12 plus In/Out)

G

Greg Girardin

Not sure if it was answered yet, is C1 the fx and C2 the Amp and Reverb?

Also, does it have the Send/Return blocks so you can extend to multiple rows? Otherwise it's effectively only a 10 block matrix, because you have to have In/Out blocks... (AX8 and AxeII have 12, and the III has 12 plus In/Out)
Correct. Currently (subject to change) Amp / Rev1 / Rev2 are on Core 2, other blocks are on Core 1, and non-audio functionality is on Core 0.

Yes, it has Send/Return blocks.

Randalljax

Fractal Fanatic
Thats awesome Greg thanks for doing that

So if I understand correctly core 2 at 85% is basically done at this point
It controlling Amp Cab and Verb one

Core one still has 15% avail and its taking vol wah drive pitch delay 1 and delay2 at the moment

Would that be accurate

Again appreciate the graph its super helpful

AZG

Inspired
Correct. You would just lose Reverb 2.

Sorry for the blur. Cores are at 70/85%View attachment 54407
Looks like DSP Core 1 still has 30% unused, even with an amp and reverb loaded. I'm betting enough room for a few modulations, drives, EQs or some other effects. Letting users freely fill up DSP cores to a safe max like the Helix would make the unit a lot more flexible, useful and appealing too many. Especially for those wanting to use it only for effects occasionally with an amp.

G

Greg Girardin

Thats awesome Greg thanks for doing that

So if I understand correctly core 2 at 85% is basically done at this point
It controlling Amp Cab and Verb one

Core one still has 15% avail and its taking vol wah drive pitch delay 1 and delay2 at the moment

Would that be accurate

Again appreciate the graph its super helpful
Not quite.

Core 2 is done. The only other thing you can put on there is Rev2 which uses 20% and it's currently at 85%.

Core 1 is at 70% and has 30% available so you can do more things. In that patch Core 1 is running IN1, Vol, Wah, Pit, Drv, Cab, Dly1, Dly2, and Out1.

jefferski

Fractal Fanatic
Not quite.

Core 2 is done. The only other thing you can put on there is Rev2 which uses 20% and it's currently at 85%.

Core 1 is at 70% and has 30% available so you can do more things. In that patch Core 1 is running IN1, Vol, Wah, Pit, Drv, Cab, Dly1, Dly2, and Out1.
Greg, can the FM3 go all the way to 100%? As you know, the other units max out in the upper 80's depending on what blocks we use. Thanks for all your quick replies!

G

Greg Girardin

Greg, can the FM3 go all the way to 100%? As you know, the other units max out in the upper 80's depending on what blocks we use. Thanks for all your quick replies!
Good question.

The FM3's CPU utilization meters are normalized so that 100% represents the amount of the CPU that can be allocated to audio processing. So you can go right up to 100%. However, if you ever cross 100% things will get shut off without your consent so you still need to be careful.

jefferski

Fractal Fanatic
Good question.

The FM3's CPU utilization meters are normalized so that 100% represents the amount of the CPU that can be allocated to audio processing. So you can go right up to 100%. However, if you ever cross 100% things will get shut off without your consent so you still need to be careful.
Awesome. Most of us know to keep it around 85 but much better to normalize it to 100. New users always ask about it and then get frustrated with the reply (it's like the opposite of "it goes to 11" ;-)

As I look at that screenshot and think what I might want to add or remove, knowing that there's still 30% available makes me think we can definitely have more in a preset than on the Ax8. For example, I could probably add another Drive, a Phaser, a Chorus, and swap the 2nd delay for a Multi-tap with room to spare for controllers etc and have a pretty good kitchen-sink preset.

AZG

Inspired
Looks like DSP Core 1 still has 30% unused, even with an amp and reverb loaded. I'm betting enough room for a few modulations, drives, EQs or some other effects. Letting users freely fill up DSP cores to a safe max like the Helix would make the unit a lot more flexible, useful and appealing too many. Especially for those wanting to use it only for effects occasionally with an amp.
Looks like I got them backwards, core 2 is amp and reverb. Still there is 15% left, which is hopefully enough to add another effect or two? Changing the reverb to "spring", if like the AX8, would free up a lot more DSP if needed. So, it would still be awesome to let the user load up DSP cores as needed to maximize usefulness. Hopefully Fractal will look at allowing such flexibility. Running out of DSP and the UI were my top complaints with the AX8 and the reason I ended up selling it.

Jawoom

Not currently.
Thanks Greg for answering everyone's questions. To clarify on not having "Scene MIDI" on the FM3, this refers to being able to send up to 8 CCs/PCs? So if I got a FM3 I could still use the MIDI out to change channels on my amp, just not more than 1 device at the same time?

ethomas1013

Power User
So, it would still be awesome to let the user load up DSP cores as needed to maximize usefulness. Hopefully Fractal will look at allowing such flexibility
Especially for those who may consider using this unit in 4CM with an amp. It would be very frustrating to build a preset without an amp or cab, one reverb, and filling up Core2 with FX while 70% of Core1 remains unused and unavailable!

Top Bottom