• We would like to remind our members that this is a privately owned, run and supported forum. You are here at the invitation and discretion of the owners. As such, rules and standards of conduct will be applied that help keep this forum functioning as the owners desire. These include, but are not limited to, removing content and even access to the forum.

Please give yourself a refresher on the forum rules you agreed to follow when you signed up.

FM3 hot questions (and, hopefully, answers)

Randalljax

Forum Addict
The AX3 had the reverbs redone IIRC they are not the same as AX8 or AX2

If they are dedicating so much CPU to just one instance of verb i suspect
Its a noticeable step up from the previous product line

Kamil Kisiel

Veteran
Since the FM3 doesn't have a dedicated main display like the FC6/12, how is that information displayed? Is there some kind of new performance screen that shows the equivalent of the FC6/12 main display in large text? If so, will that make its way to the Axe-FX III?

DLC86

Forum Addict
Maybe the amp block takes 60% and each reverb takes 35%
In the image above C1 is at 33% and C2 at 39%.
In the video someone posted earlier, with an amp and a reverb C2 was at 79%, so I assume C2 is the amp/reverb core so an amp takes ~60% and a reverb ~20%.

Last edited:

DLC86

Forum Addict
In the image above C1 is at 33% and C2 at 39%.
In the video someone posted earlier, with an amp and a reverb C2 was at 79%, so I assume C2 is the amp/reverb core so an amp takes ~60% and a reverb ~20%.
PS: These values are interesting.. If an amp takes 60% of an FM3 core it means that it runs at a lower quality than the axe fx III since it has 4x the processing power and Cliff said he can't add a third amp block without reducing the oversampling rate.

lqdsnddist

Axe-Master
They're obviously not Axe FX-III studio quality. Let's see how it goes but reverbs are a big deal and I'd rather have one highest quality reverb than two lower quality ones. Same thing with Delays actually. Less but best.
Then you should go for the III. The FM3 wasn’t meant to replace the III, more of a supplement for live applications, where things like the highest reverb quality doesn’t matter.

If you want the best thing possible for studio applications with no compromises now or into the future, that is the III

Budda

Inspired
They're obviously not Axe FX-III studio quality. Let's see how it goes but reverbs are a big deal and I'd rather have one highest quality reverb than two lower quality ones. Same thing with Delays actually. Less but best.
But it's the same reverbs as the III, just not on the "high" setting. So yes, they are the same as III studio quality.

Remember, the Ultra reverbs used to be top dog in reverb quality too.

Matt_B_77

Forum Addict
Well, that sucks ;-) If one can run 2 goddamn CPU-hungry reverb blocks (no one cares about live :) ) why not make it possible, to run 2 amps and _NO REVERB_ ?

Come on! 2 amps and no reverb! 2 amps and no reverb! Free the amps, to hell with them reverbs! :))))
Don’t assume that the CPU cost for an amp block is the same as a reverb block. Personally I feel that if Fractal could have pulled it did 2 amp blocks (at their quality level) they would have.

Lou Lab

New here
Then you should go for the III. The FM3 wasn’t meant to replace the III, more of a supplement for live applications, where things like the highest reverb quality doesn’t matter.

If you want the best thing possible for studio applications with no compromises now or into the future, that is the III
I'm waiting for more official specs and will digest what I read and maybe lower my expectations. But yes, suddenly the III could actually be what I want (not need).

chris

Legend!
Do you actually hear a difference between normal and high quality reverb, if you don’t look at the words first? Normal setting is not “low quality” at all. Like, at all.

First post, not a Fractal owner yet, never even tried a Fractal...
Ahh this explains it. Greg misspoke a bit and there is no “low quality” reverb on the Axe3. It’s just “normal” which is very good. It’s a high quality already.

So for high quality recordings the FM3 is not your go to solution. You still need the Axe FX-III.
No. Please don’t read into the word “high.” It’s a relative term.

Last edited:

chris

Legend!
No. Reverb uses a ton of CPU. On Axe-FX3 the reverbs have a "Hi Quality" mode that makes them sound better at the cost of more CPU usage. The FM3 will not support that Hi Quality mode. So if you listen to an Axe-FX3 with the "Quality" set to low, that's what FM3 will sound like.
Semantics, but it’s “normal” not “low.

Nothing about the Axe3 is low quality ;)

jefferski

Fractal Fanatic
Correct. It will support all the reverb types of Axe-FX3 but as if you had "Quality: Low". You won't have to use spring reverbs to save CPU since the core can run the Amp and 1 reverb, and all the other blocks are on the other core
Fabulous! Thanks Greg.

Top Bottom