• We would like to remind our members that this is a privately owned, run and supported forum. You are here at the invitation and discretion of the owners. As such, rules and standards of conduct will be applied that help keep this forum functioning as the owners desire. These include, but are not limited to, removing content and even access to the forum.

Please give yourself a refresher on the forum rules you agreed to follow when you signed up.

FM3 hot questions (and, hopefully, answers)

Ghost_of_Cain

Inspired
The only thing I want to know is how does amp channels' switching speed compare to amps' X/Y switching - i.e. how much faster amp channels are. Does it depend on an amp model? I guess so. Does it depend on how heavy the preset is? Probably. But with the AX8 I was not using high quality reverbs live, and usually I was not overloading the CPU past 75-80% so that doesn't bother me much.

With AX8 all my attempts to create live solution with minimum audio gap between clean amp sound and high gain driven amp sound eventually turned out to be more or less failures. I wanted to minimize the audio gap as much as possible. I wen't through all the tips, tricks and workarounds posted through all the years on this forum, every single idea. The conclusion was - 2 amps in a grid on the Axe Fx II switched perfectly, and were bliss to my ears, 2 X/Yd amps, 2 scene-based solutions - were always inferior.

So no dual amps in FM3 is a bummer for me, but I didn't lose hope. Can anyone, who has experience with channels in Axe Fx III elaborate and/or direct me to forum threads / YT movies showing the speed of channels' changes between various amp models? The new ones, made especially for new Ares iterations, as well as the old ones? Many thanks in advance!

Last edited:

Scented Meat

Experienced
1. Will USB carry MIDI (to allow, e.g., preset changes directed by DAW) as in the III?

2. Will blocks be compatible between FM3 and III (even if presets per se aren’t)?
2a. Drag and drop from FM3-edit to Axe-Edit III?

Will FM3 support recording MIDI data like AXE FX II/III via USB ?
I mean, can I still connect my midi keyboard to FM3s MIDI IN and record my keyboard playing into the DAW via USB?

G

Greg Girardin

Hey Greg

I am guessing you may work @Fractal

As far as reverb will it be one instance
Can it do the cloud verbs from the 3???
Correct. I work for Fractal.

Currently (subject to change) we dedicate a core to the Amp and to Reverbs. Due to CPU limitations and not wanting to reduce Amp quality you can run 2 of the following 3 in a preset ( Amp, Rev1, Rev2 ).

Not sure about Cloud Reverb, I'll have to get back to you, but it should support all the reverb types of the Axe-FX3 just not in "Hi Quality" mode.

gitfruit

Inspired
Posted by Cliff over TGP forums:

"The Axe-Fx III, FM3 and the other products in development all use the "Ares" architecture. This is a portable client-server architecture that allows easy porting of effects and models between hardware platforms. When we ported the Axe-Fx III models to the FM3 it involved nothing more than copying the file.

We created the Ares architecture three years ago and all new products use it. It's a comprehensive hardware and software paradigm that allows any number of clients to communicate with a DSP server. The architecture supports multiple DSP cores. Clients can be located on the same core, a different core on the same IC, a different IC on the same board or on completely different hardware, i.e. an editor running on a PC or a foot controller. For example on the FM3 the UI is a client running on the ARM core.

The Ares architecture is even processor agnostic. The Axe-Fx III uses TI DSPs while the FM3 uses Analog Devices.

The Ares architecture was a huge undertaking with the ultimate goal of faster product development and easy synchronization of multiple product lines. It allows me to work on algorithms and new models and the engineers can then easily port those to the other products."

I am wondering why Cliff is posting this (for me) important and interesting information over at TGP and not in his own forum

Last edited:

DLC86

Power User
Correct. I work for Fractal.

Currently (subject to change) we dedicate a core to the Amp and to Reverbs. Due to CPU limitations and not wanting to reduce Amp quality you can run 2 of the following 3 in a preset ( Amp, Rev1, Rev2 ).

Not sure about Cloud Reverb, I'll have to get back to you, but it should support all the reverb types of the Axe-FX3 just not in "Hi Quality" mode.
Does that mean that reverb doesn't affect the main CPU percentage even at high quality? That'd be great!

G

Greg Girardin

Does that mean that reverb doesn't affect the main CPU percentage even at high quality? That'd be great!
No. Reverb uses a ton of CPU. On Axe-FX3 the reverbs have a "Hi Quality" mode that makes them sound better at the cost of more CPU usage. The FM3 will not support that Hi Quality mode. So if you listen to an Axe-FX3 with the "Quality" set to low, that's what FM3 will sound like.

Lou Lab

Inspired
First post, not a Fractal owner yet, never even tried a Fractal... but watched lots of demos online and believe Fractal is by far the best digital tone on the market.

To me the FM3 makes sense. I never tried the AX8 but hope that the FM3 is a good step higher because I've waited for "Fractal's next floor model" for more than a year and hope I didn't do so for nothing. This said I will get the FM3 and the FC-6.

If eventually a more powerful FM becomes available I expect to keep the FC-6 and get that new FM. I see the FC-6 and FC-12 as keepers where the "processing unit" can be upgraded. A little bit like keeping my amazing $200 computer keyboard when I upgrade my desktop. I don't see why Fractal would introduce a FM7-9-12. The modular approach of the FC-6 and FC-12 is just a paradigm shift. And it's brilliant.

Last edited:

DLC86

Power User
No. Reverb uses a ton of CPU. On Axe-FX3 the reverbs have a "Hi Quality" mode that makes them sound better at the cost of more CPU usage. The FM3 will not support that Hi Quality mode. So if you listen to an Axe-FX3 with the "Quality" set to low, that's what FM3 will sound like.
Got it, thanks!
And what about amp quality? does it run at the same resolution as the axe fx III?

Budda

Inspired
If you don't use the amp modeling in the FM3, are you able to run 2 reverbs and 2 delays?

I run an FX8 as a traditional pedalboard, but I only ever have a max of 5 blocks on my gigging presets. If the FM3 + controller would offer me similar functionality, I'm intrigued.

Hank_Tank

Hello,

Will the FM3 switch between presets without any noticeable silence-gap like the AX8 does ? That is my biggest concern

Tones2

Inspired
I would still love to know the ACTUAL size and weight (yeah I know people THINK it's the same size as the FC6, but I'd like to know the ACTUAL specs).

EDIT: Wait, I just saw this in another thread. Exactly the same size as the FC6 unfortunately. I was hoping it was smaller. I really don't need that big of a screen on the unit. The HX stomp size screen would have been fine. I would actually love to see an FC4 which cuts off the last two buttons on the right to make the side by side length of the FM3 and FC4 about the same size as the AX8. 22" is WAY too wide - I play many times on VERY small stages and I barely have room for the AX8 and a small wah / volume pedal. Heck even an FC2...

Last edited:

Randalljax

Fractal Fanatic
I would still love to know the ACTUAL size and weight (yeah I know people THINK it's the same size as the FC6, but I'd like to know the ACTUAL specs).

EDIT: Wait, I just saw this in another thread. Exactly the same size as the FC6 unfortunately. I was hoping it was smaller. I really don't need that big of a screen on the unit. The HX stomp size screen would have been fine.

The weight is 3.2 kg i think answered above

Top Bottom