• We would like to remind our members that this is a privately owned, run and supported forum. You are here at the invitation and discretion of the owners. As such, rules and standards of conduct will be applied that help keep this forum functioning as the owners desire. These include, but are not limited to, removing content and even access to the forum.

Please give yourself a refresher on the forum rules you agreed to follow when you signed up.

FM3 hot questions (and, hopefully, answers)

ethomas1013

Power User
I had the AX8 set so that the expression pedal was a wah in one scene and a volume pedal in another. There are various ways to configure it. Search the AX8 sub-forum. There are a few different threads on it.

In the AxeFX III I'm using channels on the wah and volume block. In scene 1, the volume block modifier is set for channel A. I have the wah block modifier set for channel B. So, in scene 1 I have the volume block on to channel A, and the wah block bypassed and also set to channel A. The wah block ignores the expression pedal since it is set to respond to channel B. In scene 2, the wah block is set to channel B with the modifier set to auto-engage. The volume block is also set to channel B in scene 2, but since it is configured to respond to the expression pedal when it's in channel A, the volume block ignores the expression pedal. I hope that makes sense...

I guess in theory you could set up one expression pedal to control for different things using channels and scenes. There may be other (better) ways to do this. Since we know the FM3 will support 8 scenes and four channels, it should also support this functionality.

moerker

Inspired
Just asking, because as far as I know, on the AX8 the attached modifier is present in both X/Y state. Only way to have both Wah & Volume would be activation/deactivation of the blocks per scene (or attaching another controller to the bypass state, what I usually do since I've been using a toe switch).
I get a little bit confused by what you mean if you are speaking "volume block modifier set for channel A". Since I don't own an Axe-FX III, this sounds like - bypass state? I have no idea which modifier you mean. Or do you mean the modifier on the virtual volume knob is set to a specific controller, which you can switch or even deactivate on another channel?
E.g.
Channel A - Modifier on Volume control
Channel B - No modifier

May you shed some light on this?

DLC86

Power User
Just asking, because as far as I know, on the AX8 the attached modifier is present in both X/Y state. Only way to have both Wah & Volume would be activation/deactivation of the blocks per scene (or attaching another controller to the bypass state, what I usually do since I've been using a toe switch).
I get a little bit confused by what you mean if you are speaking "volume block modifier set for channel A". Since I don't own an Axe-FX III, this sounds like - bypass state? I have no idea which modifier you mean. Or do you mean the modifier on the virtual volume knob is set to a specific controller, which you can switch or even deactivate on another channel?
E.g.
Channel A - Modifier on Volume control
Channel B - No modifier

May you shed some light on this?
Yes, on the axe fx III modifiers can be assigned to just one channel (or to all channels) of a block

artzeal

Inspired
Consult the Axe FX III reference for controllers. FM3 architecture is like that of the Axe FX III, with fewer effects instances: not like AX8.

unix-guy

Legend!
Has anyone figured out if this is or will be a replacement for the FX8?
It has Amp modeling and Cab modeling... The FX8 doesn't.

The FX8 has relay switching... The FM3 doesn't.

If you want the effects only from FM3, then it replaces the FX8 basically the same way an AX8 would.

The grid system is more flexible on the FM3 than either the AX8 or FX8 as far as I'm aware.

Lou Lab

Inspired
Hi, after waiting for six months following the FM3 announcement I finally abandoned the FM3 waiting and went for the AXE FX III. That thing has been in my life for 5 days now and saw its 1st gig yesterday night... Man, why did I waited for so long... Life changing and I’m just starting to scratch the surface. Really. Life changing.

Last edited:

Retro Rick

Inspired
Hi, after waiting for six months following the FM3 announcement I finally abandoned the FM3 waiting and went for the AXE FX III. That thing has been in my life for 5 days now and saw its 1st gig yesterday night... Man, why did I waited for so long... Life changing and I’m just starting to scratch the surface. Really. Life changing.
It's 5 months...

TenorKeith

Inspired
Well, I just went the other way. I sold my Axe III and am back to waiting for the FM3. I just realized that I was mostly just playing the presets, all of which had one amp, one cab, a delay, modulation and a reverb. That's exactly where the FM will shine. Also, I need to raise cash for a down-payment on a house. But after having all that power at my fingertips, it seemed like overkill for me. Your mileage will vary, but I think I'll be happy with the FM. It will sound just like the Axe and do exactly what I need it to do. The Axe III is AMAZING, but for me it's like buying a Lamborghini to drive to work every day.

Retro Rick

Inspired
Well, I just went the other way. I sold my Axe III and am back to waiting for the FM3. I just realized that I was mostly just playing the presets, all of which had one amp, one cab, a delay, modulation and a reverb. That's exactly where the FM will shine. Also, I need to raise cash for a down-payment on a house. But after having all that power at my fingertips, it seemed like overkill for me. Your mileage will vary, but I think I'll be happy with the FM. It will sound just like the Axe and do exactly what I need it to do. The Axe III is AMAZING, but for me it's like buying a Lamborghini to drive to work every day.
Thanks, you gave me some more strength to endure the wait. I know that the FM3 would be a perfect match for me, and that the axeIII is too, big, expensive, and is more than I need, but the waiting is really tough, and there are times I find myself wavering. I'm certain if I bought an Axe III I would want to sell it once the FM3s finally came out, which would probably be a few days after I ordered the Axe III :D

shatteredsquare

Power User
If one FM3 powers one FC12 and it can send midi over USB to map to DAW functions I'm gonna be tap dancing up a storm with cubase shortcuts, that's a butt load o'buttons

Top Bottom