• We would like to remind our members that this is a privately owned, run and supported forum. You are here at the invitation and discretion of the owners. As such, rules and standards of conduct will be applied that help keep this forum functioning as the owners desire. These include, but are not limited to, removing content and even access to the forum.

Please give yourself a refresher on the forum rules you agreed to follow when you signed up.

FM3 hot questions (and, hopefully, answers)

RalphNYC

Inspired
because that jcm 800 has it's sole sound and as awesome as these modelers are they are not 100% identical. They get say...95% of the way there, but guess what technology will get us closer and closer. When someone says hey the new FM3 software gets you 97% of the way to the true tone, guess what...people no longer want the 95% unit which causes that units value to significantly fall (even though it is silly and the 95% sound quality unit sounded amazing anyway!). Also do not forget the form factor. The ax8 does not have headphone outs or scribble strips. Once you use scribble strips...trust me...you will NOT want to go back. Just saying.
I sure don't want to get into a big discussion on this topic - it's been bantered around and never gets resolved. But at the same time, the concept of obsolescence I think is really overused in the digital forums. You can make a hit record right now using a Tom Scholz Rockman from 1982. Is it obsolete? Not at all. Will you be able to make a hit record 50 years from now using FM3 - yes I am certain of it.

Kamil Kisiel

Veteran
I sure don't want to get into a big discussion on this topic - it's been bantered around and never gets resolved. But at the same time, the concept of obsolescence I think is really overused in the digital forums. You can make a hit record right now using a Tom Scholz Rockman from 1982. Is it obsolete? Not at all. Will you be able to make a hit record 50 years from now using FM3 - yes I am certain of it.
50 years from now everyone will be listening to AI-generated ambient VR electronica, so no :p

AJ Vargas

Inspired
Below is what Cliff said which sounds to many people that there will be no other "in between" models. Basically the FM3 was designed to replace ax8. You will use FM3 for small gigs as stand alone unit and with the FC6/FC12 controllers for larger gigs and then the Axe-fx III for MSG. His direct quote is found below. Unless he is hiding something (which would be kind of BS but possible) id assume no other models.

cliffc8488 said:
If anyone is curious the thought process was this:
1. FM3 alone for rehearsals, small gigs.
2. FM3 plus FC6/12 for larger gigs.
3. Axe-Fx III plus FC6/12 for MSG.
Posted by Cliff over TGP forums:

"The Axe-Fx III, FM3 and the other products in development all use the "Ares" architecture. This is a portable client-server architecture that allows easy porting of effects and models between hardware platforms. When we ported the Axe-Fx III models to the FM3 it involved nothing more than copying the file.

We created the Ares architecture three years ago and all new products use it. It's a comprehensive hardware and software paradigm that allows any number of clients to communicate with a DSP server. The architecture supports multiple DSP cores. Clients can be located on the same core, a different core on the same IC, a different IC on the same board or on completely different hardware, i.e. an editor running on a PC or a foot controller. For example on the FM3 the UI is a client running on the ARM core.

The Ares architecture is even processor agnostic. The Axe-Fx III uses TI DSPs while the FM3 uses Analog Devices.

The Ares architecture was a huge undertaking with the ultimate goal of faster product development and easy synchronization of multiple product lines. It allows me to work on algorithms and new models and the engineers can then easily port those to the other products."

Let the speculation game begin... :D

Barmaleus

Inspired

"The Axe-Fx III, FM3 and the other products in development all use the "Ares" architecture. This is a portable client-server architecture that allows easy porting of effects and models between hardware platforms. When we ported the Axe-Fx III models to the FM3 it involved nothing more than copying the file.

We created the Ares architecture three years ago and all new products use it. It's a comprehensive hardware and software paradigm that allows any number of clients to communicate with a DSP server. The architecture supports multiple DSP cores. Clients can be located on the same core, a different core on the same IC, a different IC on the same board or on completely different hardware, i.e. an editor running on a PC or a foot controller. For example on the FM3 the UI is a client running on the ARM core.

The Ares architecture is even processor agnostic. The Axe-Fx III uses TI DSPs while the FM3 uses Analog Devices.

The Ares architecture was a huge undertaking with the ultimate goal of faster product development and easy synchronization of multiple product lines. It allows me to work on algorithms and new models and the engineers can then easily port those to the other products."

And where is the question? :D

Severed

Forum Addict
One thing I've learned with watching FAS over the years is to expect something new on a regular basis.

Bigeclipse

Regular
One thing I've learned with watching FAS over the years is to expect something new on a regular basis.

I understand what you are saying BUT I disagree.
Let's look at what they currently make and their history. Axe II with then AX8. Now Axe III and then they announce FM3. Why on earth would they announce an FM5 or 7 or whatever anytime soon because so many people would just abandon the FM3. There is literally little benefit to them, making an FM larger than the 3 right now and much more for them to lose if they do. Maybe a year from now. Think of it this way, anyone wanting to join fractal will buy the FM3 with a FC6 or they will go all out for an aXE III. ANyone on the fence between a Line6 product such as stomp or helix LT might now instead go to fractal FM3 so even more sales. The ONLY people likely to truly want a FM5/7/9 are current AX8 owners. Yes I would love an FM product with more buttons and more DSP but I will gladly buy an FM3 if there is no other option. So they do this for a year...tons of people now jump into the fractal world because it is now cheaper (1000$) to get a taste of fractal. then a year from now they release an update which allows you to combine 2 FM3s to double your DSP and they will run together with a link OR they release a new FM5/7/9 and people who wanted that in the first place sell their FM3 to someone for cheap...getting that person into the fractal world. Just my two cents!

ksandvik

Veteran
Yes get an FM3 (or used AX8), you could always resell and upgrade when there are new products (my guess a year from now.).

brokenvail

Fractal Fanatic
I don't know why people think there would be something like a FM7 for example. Right now we are forced to buy and FC if we want more switches. That is prophet for fractal They would not undercut them selves. People can say what they want but Fractal's modeling and feel keep me hooked period. I have an HX stomp and it does not sound bad but it is not my fractal. I will grab 2 FM's 1 FC6 and by by stomp

Randalljax

Forum Addict
I understand what you are saying BUT I disagree.
Let's look at what they currently make and their history. Axe II with then AX8. Now Axe III and then they announce FM3. Why on earth would they announce an FM5 or 7 or whatever anytime soon because so many people would just abandon the FM3. There is literally little benefit to them, making an FM larger than the 3 right now and much more for them to lose if they do. Maybe a year from now. Think of it this way, anyone wanting to join fractal will buy the FM3 with a FC6 or they will go all out for an aXE III. ANyone on the fence between a Line6 product such as stomp or helix LT might now instead go to fractal FM3 so even more sales. The ONLY people likely to truly want a FM5/7/9 are current AX8 owners. Yes I would love an FM product with more buttons and more DSP but I will gladly buy an FM3 if there is no other option. So they do this for a year...tons of people now jump into the fractal world because it is now cheaper (1000$) to get a taste of fractal. then a year from now they release an update which allows you to combine 2 FM3s to double your DSP and they will run together with a link OR they release a new FM5/7/9 and people who wanted that in the first place sell their FM3 to someone for cheap...getting that person into the fractal world. Just my two cents!
Dont you also wonder why the FC6
Fc12 when prior there was only one MFC

Gourdo

Inspired
Will Axe FX III presets run on the FM3 ? What about AXE FX II presets converted with Fractool ... or will it be totally different ?

unix-guy

Legend!
so many people would just abandon the FM3
What are you basing that on? There have been a LOT of people clamoring for something like the FM3.

Additionally, once Fractal sells you the FM3 why would they be worried if you decide you want the next product? They've already been paid ;)

MSP

Regular
"The firmware is still beta so nothing is set in stone yet. Between now and they day they start shipping things could change but so far we didn't port the Vocoder, Tone Match, RTA and 10-Tap Delay IIRC."

So that means FM3 has IR capture? Cool if so, as this would be a feature that would really make me consider upgrading from my AX8.

Top Bottom