• We would like to remind our members that this is a privately owned, run and supported forum. You are here at the invitation and discretion of the owners. As such, rules and standards of conduct will be applied that help keep this forum functioning as the owners desire. These include, but are not limited to, removing content and even access to the forum.

Please give yourself a refresher on the forum rules you agreed to follow when you signed up.

FM3 hot questions (and, hopefully, answers)

Smittefar

Fractal Fanatic
I think the problem is that the cab block runs in a dedicated accelerator. The IR player would take up more convenient CPU, because it's not in the accelerator.

Randalljax

Forum Addict
I think it would be perhaps easier to add 1 more channel to the existing block , but perhaps the accelerator is limited to 2 .

so if cab block had 3 channels now you could use slot three as you acoustic, violin etc Ir

metalaman

New here
Never used a fractal product before, looking forward to this one. As a bedroom guitar player, the FM3 surely will be an amazing product.
I was reading through this forum and found that Tone Match block will not be present on the FM3. Is this because of the DSP power? Would've been really cool to have that in the end product or in the software upgrades. Getting almost the exact tone as quickly as possible while covering songs seems very motivating.

chris

Legend!
Never used a fractal product before, looking forward to this one. As a bedroom guitar player, the FM3 surely will be an amazing product.
I was reading through this forum and found that Tone Match block will not be present on the FM3. Is this because of the DSP power? Would've been really cool to have that in the end product or in the software upgrades. Getting almost the exact tone as quickly as possible while covering songs seems very motivating.
There are many posts detailing why it doesn’t work in many situations. If you’re jamming with the exact mix from the album, it sounds good. If you play that specific tone with a different band or jam track, it doesn’t always work.

I’d personally prioritize other features over Tonematch. Besides, you can ask others to match things for you and bring the match into the Cab block.

Piing

Forum Addict
Does the FM3 has the PREAMP at the CAB block?

I've searched but couldn't find the answer.

I use it in all my presets. That's the main reason why I didn't like the AX8

FreeMind

Forum Addict
You can achieve tone match within a DAW with a EQ match plugin of somesort.
Though in my opinion, unless you are in a tribute band, or you are making karaokes, I wouldn't bother with tone match. Just be yourself. I had Axe FX 2 for years and I never used Tone match.

jlpete87

New here
Not sure if this has been asked yet, but will the FM3 include the authentic controls feature that the AxeFx III has in the amp block?

ozanerkal

Inspired
Will It have MIDI Mapping?

Something I loved about my Axe-Fx was that I didn't have to get a Fractal MFC to control it.

I used to connect my old BOSS FC-50 (not programmable at all), and the "MIDI Mapping" function would let me convert PC commands to CC commands, so I was able to use it for scene selection.

Now that the FM3 is announced, I'm thinking I can rejoin the Fractal family, but have to be sure about this because it has only 3 switches...

So anybody have an idea?

unix-guy

Legend!
Will It have MIDI Mapping?

Something I loved about my Axe-Fx was that I didn't have to get a Fractal MFC to control it.

I used to connect my old BOSS FC-50 (not programmable at all), and the "MIDI Mapping" function would let me convert PC commands to CC commands, so I was able to use it for scene selection.

I assume you mean Preset Mapping... There is no "midi mapping" in Fractal products that I am aware of.

Preset Mapping doesn't convert PC to CC, it specifically allows mapping an incoming PC to a Preset+Scene destination.

I would assume this will exist as it does on the Axe Fx II and III.

Lou Lab

New here
Trying to predict my requirements as I've never used a Fractal.

With my FM3 and FC6, should I keep on using my Mesa Boogie Mark V 35 or get a totally clean amplifier like the Seymour Duncan Powerstage 170? I normally use the V 35 CabClone D.I. output directly to the recording console and a cab as monitor.

Fractal Fanatic

With my FM3 and FC6, should I keep on using my Mesa Boogie Mark V 35 or get a totally clean amplifier like the Seymour Duncan Powerstage 170? I normally use the V 35 CabClone D.I. output directly to the recording console and a cab as monitor.
It's very easy to setup with a flat power amp and run a signal with cab sims to FOH at the same time you run a signal with no cab sims to the power amp and guitar cab.

The FM3 cabs will absolutely blow the Cab clone out of the water.

chris

Legend!

if you enjoy the sound of your Mark V power amp, then that will be a permanent component using that setup. many people do that, but there are many ways to run the system.

Lou Lab

New here
It's very easy to setup with a flat power amp and run a signal with cab sims to FOH at the same time you run a signal with no cab sims to the power amp and guitar cab.

The FM3 cabs will absolutely blow the Cab clone out of the water.
The CabClone was "OK". My expectations are orders of magnitude higher when it comes to the FM3.

I guess I'll start by trying a cab sim to FOH and that same signal without cab in the Boogie.

chris

Legend!
The CabClone was "OK". My expectations are orders of magnitude higher when it comes to the FM3.

I guess I'll start by trying a cab sim to FOH and that same signal without cab in the Boogie.
just be sure to spend a little time trying out the different IRs in the cab block. the "any ol' cab sim" approach doesn't always work and they're not one-size-fits-all like the products with the generic cab sim try to do, so finding one that has the frequencies you like goes a long way. just a little time, and don't let numbers like 4x12 or 2x12 fool you. ears not eyes.

Last edited:

gdgross

Veteran
Here’s a setup I’d like to be able to do on the FM3. Currently on my ax8 I do not believe this is possible.

I’d like to use the looper block separately from my main guitar output. Easy enough to do this by hard panning left and right. No sweat, the applications for stereo effect live are, at least for me, pretty limited anyway.

Now, the harder bit: could I also get the metronome out of another output?? Like maybe the effects send? I really like the quantize feature in the looper block, but catching the tempo from a flashing light is difficult. It would be much easier if I could route a click out and send it to an in ear monitor....

Top Bottom