• We would like to remind our members that this is a privately owned, run and supported forum. You are here at the invitation and discretion of the owners. As such, rules and standards of conduct will be applied that help keep this forum functioning as the owners desire. These include, but are not limited to, removing content and even access to the forum.

Please give yourself a refresher on the forum rules you agreed to follow when you signed up.

FM3 hot questions (and, hopefully, answers)

seclusion

Inspired
Thanks for letting us see it loaded up even with the initial betas.
Assuming Rev was set at highest setting, it seems to have more stuff loaded then the the Ax8 can currently load,
Awesome

G

Greg Girardin

Thanks for letting us see it loaded up even with the initial betas.
Assuming Rev was set at highest setting, it seems to have more stuff loaded then the the Ax8 can currently load,
Awesome
Nothing is set in stone. That's just the way it is today to give you a ballpark idea.

RB2021

Looks like you can load it down pretty well. I'd have liked to see an image like that with a pitch block and some less nonsense but it's good enough. My plan was to get an external reverb pedal to reduce my CPU usage but with the reverb being exclusive to one of the CPU cores with the cab I don't think it will be super helpful to do so.

I'm sure I can get by looking at the picture there. If the 3 were in my budget I'd love all the extra power there but this should be just enough to satisfy my all in one unit dreams.

DLC86

Power User
You can do quite a bit. Here's a pile of stuff in a nonsense preset in today's FM3 software.
Based on the most recent CPU chart for the ax8, it seems the FM3 can run a few more blocks, despite the new heavier algorithms for some effects (drives and delays for example).
The same blocks on the ax8 at default settings would use ~100%, way beyond its 90% limit.
This is exactly what I was hoping for :)

And it seems a second chorus block has been added, great!
If the midi block will be added too I'm sold! :cool:

PS: another question, does the pitch block work as good as on the axe fx III or will the tracking be more glitchy due to the slower cpu?

Last edited:

DLC86

Power User
Just for comparison with the axe III
DSC_0269.JPG

Even though the cpu used is roughly doubled, the FM3 doesn't have half the processing power (it's roughly 1/4 I guess) but the accelerator for the cab and the reverb block on core2 help a lot there.

If I take out cab and reverb from that preset the cpu goes down to 36% on the axe.

Additionally, an empty preset is ~5% on the axe, while on the FM3 it probably starts at 0 since the meters are normalized.. Is it right Greg?

Randalljax

Fractal Fanatic
View attachment 54558

Even though the cpu used is roughly doubled, the FM3 doesn't have half the processing power (it's roughly 1/4 I guess) but the accelerator for the cab and the reverb block on core2 help a lot there.

If I take out cab and reverb from that preset the cpu goes down to 36% on the axe.

Additionally, an empty preset is ~5% on the axe, while on the FM3 it probably starts at 0 since the meters are normalized.. Is it right Greg?

Its pretty cool i would never likely run a 16 block chain on my AX3 its like
6 blocks maybe
But again for comparing the other stomp w 6 blocks this is a powerhouse

G

Greg Girardin

That’s a great illustration of the ballz on the unit.......and I believe Greg stated earlier that the FM3 cpu scaling will allow us to bump right up to 100% before things get weird ...and posted example was in mid 80s!
Hopefully things shouldn't get weird since 100% on the CPU meter is how much audio processing FM3 can do before things get weird.. but as soon as you hit 100%, even for 1 millisecond, a block will get shut off. The CPU usage jumps around a bit so you probably shouldn't go much above 90%.

chiRo6

Hi, possibly stupid question as i have never had anything to do with Fractal products before, but is it possible to use Input 2 for a backing track signal and send it unprocessed other than volume mixing to the same output as the guitar signal?

G

Greg Girardin

View attachment 54558

Correct. FM3 CPU is normalized so it's tricky to get an apples to apples meter comparison with A3 for that reason among others.

G

Greg Girardin

Hi, possibly stupid question as i have never had anything to do with Fractal products before, but is it possible to use Input 2 for a backing track signal and send it unprocessed other than volume mixing to the same output as the guitar signal?
Yes. Input 1 and 2 can be mixed together at any point in the grid or not at all. In your use case it would be at Out 1.

G

Greg Girardin

It looks like there are channels on the input blocks. How does that work?
Same as every other block. Every channel can have different settings of all the parameters of the block.

For an Input block it's Threshold / Ratio / Attack / Release / Level / Bypass / etc.

Top Bottom