• We would like to remind our members that this is a privately owned, run and supported forum. You are here at the invitation and discretion of the owners. As such, rules and standards of conduct will be applied that help keep this forum functioning as the owners desire. These include, but are not limited to, removing content and even access to the forum.

Please give yourself a refresher on the forum rules you agreed to follow when you signed up.

FM3 hot questions (and, hopefully, answers)

yek

Resonator yes,
Multiplexor yes
Fixed impedance
No global blocks (at least initially)
Yes metronome
512 presets.
And number of External controllers and Scene controllers?

Ability to send MIDI PCs / CCs upon preset scene changes? (without Scene MIDI block)

Kamil Kisiel

Veteran
Sorry if this has been addressed, but I didn't see an answer. Not being very familiar with Fractal architecture, what is the reasonable expectation for the FM3 with regard to the max amount of things going on in a preset? For example: Drive pedal; Amp; Cab; Modulation, Delay, Reverb, EQ... How many things can be going on at once? Is it the same as the AX8, just at a higher quality because of the new software? I see all these numbers thrown about concerning percentage of DSP, etc., but haven't gotten a real-world idea of what to expect. Thanks!!!
I would say one full row of things in the grid is not unreasonable to expect. I think there's 12 blocks in a row on the FM3? So amp, cab, drive, in, out, and 7 other things. Could be more or less depending on what you use. Some blocks like volume use very little CPU, whereas if you put a whole bunch of different and complex delays you'll eat through CPU quite quickly. This is just based on my experience with the Axe-FX II and III..

Randalljax

Forum Addict
Sorry if this has been addressed, but I didn't see an answer. Not being very familiar with Fractal architecture, what is the reasonable expectation for the FM3 with regard to the max amount of things going on in a preset? For example: Drive pedal; Amp; Cab; Modulation, Delay, Reverb, EQ... How many things can be going on at once? Is it the same as the AX8, just at a higher quality because of the new software? I see all these numbers thrown about concerning percentage of DSP, etc., but haven't gotten a real-world idea of what to expect. Thanks!!!

Wah -pitch -drive -amp-cab-delay1
Delay2 —reverb. Was one example

You would still have about 25% cpu

Retro Rick

Inspired
Pedal ports - Question (Contradiction?)
According to the Wiki on the FM3, the 2 pedal ports can each accept a 2 button footswitch, which means using two TRS cables you could add either a 4 button footswitch, or a 2 button footswitch and an expression pedal. HOWEVER, the Wiki on the Axe FX III, clearly says each port, can only accept a single TS footswitch... It's hard to imagine the Axe FX III being inferior in anyway to the FM3, so I'm wondering if one of these 2 wiki's might be wrong, and if so which one?

brokenvail

Fractal Fanatic
Unfortunately there is not a clear cut answer for this unlike say the HX stomp where you know you have 6 blocks this unit is a bit more complicated. Differement algo rhythms use different accounts of CPU so a 2290 delay does not use the same amount as a mono digital delay for example. On my Ax 8 I use Drv 1, Drv 2, trem, amp, stereo cab,Vol blk, Pit, Filter1, Filter 2, Dly and MTD. In my opinion it is a pretty full preset. At one point I had Vrb instead if MTD + a filter. Some guys just want more in a preset. Also things like modifiers and scene controllers ect all use a little cpu. I use two modifiers with this preset.

Manny Kuhn

Inspired
With the 6x4 grid, and assuming a single Send/Return instance, wouldn't the max number of blocks in series be 8?
IN>1>2>3>4>SEND
RETURN>5>6>7>8>OUT

Bigeclipse

Regular
There will still be a brief silence between changing presets.
Do we know if one could purchase two FM3s and hook them together to double your DSP and actually have them control each other? Basically now you will have 6 buttons and double DSP to allow for multiple amp blocks and such? That would be amazing. Then someone can buy an FM3 and if it just was not quite enough but they still didn't want a rack solution like the axeIII they could double down and get another FM3 to link together to allow using multiple amps and scenes...etc.

Randall d

Inspired
Do we know if one could purchase two FM3s and hook them together to double your DSP and actually have them control each other? Basically now you will have 6 buttons and double DSP to allow for multiple amp blocks and such? That would be amazing. Then someone can buy an FM3 and if it just was not quite enough but they still didn't want a rack solution like the axeIII they could double down and get another FM3 to link together to allow using multiple amps and scenes...etc.
There is already a thread on this topic:

https://forum.fractalaudio.com/threads/two-fm3s-in-one-rig.150161/#post-1784388

Greg Girardin

p.jpg
You can do quite a bit. Here's a pile of stuff in a nonsense preset in today's FM3 software.

Last edited by a moderator:

TenorKeith

Regular
I think that when people read the FM3 has roughly the same power as the AX8, it makes some of us worry a little. The reason is this, Fractal Is a very ambitious company software wise, which is great. And when the Axe III was introduced with four times the power of the II, it made sense to get ahead of all that power hungry software. I think it worries us that the FM3 might get left in the proverbial dust pretty quick. Since I cannot afford an Axe III, I’ll get the FM3 and enjoy it for what it does, and hope it keeps up when the next major update comes along.

Top Bottom