• We would like to remind our members that this is a privately owned, run and supported forum. You are here at the invitation and discretion of the owners. As such, rules and standards of conduct will be applied that help keep this forum functioning as the owners desire. These include, but are not limited to, removing content and even access to the forum.

Please give yourself a refresher on the forum rules you agreed to follow when you signed up.

FM3 hot questions (and, hopefully, answers)

Joker069

New here
Hi all
After getting the standard, Ultra, the II and the Ax8, I stopped my quest here and did not pursue the journey with the AxeIII.
The FM3 is the perfect product for my need and this is what I was dreaming secretely to see one day.
Thanks Cliff & Fractal for this miracle !

Could someone clarify something for me please (as I have not experimented yet with Channels not being an AXEIII owner)?

Why should we need 2 amp blocks, as I understand that one block gives 4 channels on which we can have 4 differnt amps?
Am I correct to say this or maybe some people needs 8 amps in a preset?

I looked at videos and manual on channels, but still do not get why we would need 2 amp blocks (faster switching? or anything I missed?)

Kamil Kisiel

Veteran
Some people like to use two amps in parallel. Also switching between two amp blocks has slightly less latency than switching between channels on one amp block. Personally the minor latency has never bothered me one bit, but some people seem to be pretty particular about it...

Joker069

New here
Some people like to use two amps in parallel. Also switching between two amp blocks has slightly less latency than switching between channels on one amp block. Personally the minor latency has never bothered me one bit, but some people seem to be pretty particular about it...
Thanks for the answer, I got it now..
I am using only one amp block so I was wondering why

volothamp

Regular
Yes, scene changes are very clean since we don't have to tear down and rebuild the grid.
Sorry to play Devil's advocate here, but given that amp channels switching is fast in the FM3 and that it has almost the same amount of power of the AX8 implies that by porting the Ares to AX8 we could have had seamless switching. Is this correct?

Thank you for your time

Ghost_of_Cain

Inspired
Sorry to play Devil's advocate here, but given that amp channels switching is fast in the FM3 and that it has almost the same amount of power of the AX8 implies that by porting the Ares to AX8 we could have had seamless switching. Is this correct?

Thank you for your time
The problem is: neither scenes, nor channels switching is seamless. Channels seem to be better and could be enough for party poopers, like me. Who think scene or X/Y switching sucks.

No, my requirements aren't overthought or contrived, I'm just a caveman playing medieval rhytms who needs to switch neatly from clean amp to high gain amp between eights played at 140BPM :)

Channels in the FM3 are my big and last hope.

Larzzz

New here
Just thinking about how to get the most out of the 3 switches on the FM3...

Does this idea make any sense?

Could there be a function assignable to a switch called "Tuner / tap tempo," where, if you tap the button once, if goes to tuner mode, and then if you continue to tap, it counts BPM? Having tuner and tap inaccessible to my feet (or taking up multiple tap / hold functions) is the biggest hurdle I'm having in thinking through how I would set up performance patches with the FM3, but if this functionality makes any sense, it seems like it could be useful for people.

But I'm probably thinking about this the wrong way, or whatever.

volothamp

Regular
The problem is: neither scenes, nor channels switching is seamless. Channels seem to be better and could be enough for party poopers, like me. Who think scene or X/Y switching sucks.

No, my requirements aren't overthought or contrived, I'm just a caveman playing medieval rhytms who needs to switch neatly from clean amp to high gain amp between eights played at 140BPM :)

Channels in the FM3 are my big and last hope.
You seem to be in the same position as I am my friend. I foresee channel switching in FM3 will be fast, and I'll be forever with the doubt if AX8 could have done that also.

Matt_B_77

Forum Addict
Just thinking about how to get the most out of the 3 switches on the FM3...

Does this idea make any sense?

Could there be a function assignable to a switch called "Tuner / tap tempo," where, if you tap the button once, if goes to tuner mode, and then if you continue to tap, it counts BPM? Having tuner and tap inaccessible to my feet (or taking up multiple tap / hold functions) is the biggest hurdle I'm having in thinking through how I would set up performance patches with the FM3, but if this functionality makes any sense, it seems like it could be useful for people.

But I'm probably thinking about this the wrong way, or whatever.
Tap Tempo would be just a basic tap and Tuner would be accessible with Hold.

Larzzz

New here
Tap Tempo would be just a basic tap and Tuner would be accessible with Hold.
Right, I’m wondering if it’s possible to do it just on taps, so I can use the hold to go into preset selection, leaving the other two switches free for selecting scenes.

Matt_B_77

Forum Addict
Right now, I'd look at the manual for the FC foot controllers for guidance. Until the official manual for the FM3 comes out, that's your best source for understanding what can be done with switching logic.

RalphNYC

Inspired
I don't know why people think there would be something like a FM7 for example. Right now we are forced to buy and FC if we want more switches. That is prophet for fractal They would not undercut them selves. People can say what they want but Fractal's modeling and feel keep me hooked period. I have an HX stomp and it does not sound bad but it is not my fractal. I will grab 2 FM's 1 FC6 and by by stomp
I'm also thinking about the choice between the HX and the FM3. One of the nice things about HX is that it's 7" x 5" versus the 11" x 9" of the FM3, and also the HX weighs 1.8 lbs versus the 7 lbs of the FM3. The HX seems highly portable by comparison, which is important for me, but for people driving to gigs or rehearsals the differential is pretty irrelevant. The HX also has the USB audio interface, the screen, the 3 buttons, but uses a single SHARC ADSP-21469 processor, and I'm not sure if this makes it more limited - it can run 6 blocks, 1 of which is the amp/cab combo, so 5 other blocks for stomps and FX.

Matt_B_77

Forum Addict
The HX also has the USB audio interface, the screen, the 3 buttons, but uses a single SHARC ADSP-21469 processor, and I'm not sure if this makes it more limited - it can run 6 blocks, 1 of which is the amp/cab combo, so 5 other blocks for stomps and FX.
From what I've read, the FM3 does have an USB audio interface and can run more blocks than the HX though the FM3 runs one amp block (with 4 channels) and 1 cab block (with 4 channels). After that you can run as many total blocks as you have resources for (instances of any given block type have limitations - e.g. (2) delays blocks max, 1 pitch block max, etc.)

FreeMind

Forum Addict

Thank you for your time
"Roughly the same power" may not mean that Ax8 is compatible with how an Axe FX 3 works.

RalphNYC

Inspired
From what I've read, the FM3 does have an USB audio interface and can run more blocks than the HX though the FM3 runs one amp block (with 4 channels) and 1 cab block (with 4 channels). After that you can run as many total blocks as you have resources for (instances of any given block type have limitations - e.g. (2) delays blocks max, 1 pitch block max, etc.)
Nice, and the FM3 will have 8 scenes per preset versus 3 for the HX. This is a big difference for gigs. The additional external footswitch/pedal capacity on the FM3 is nice too.

Matt_B_77

Forum Addict
Nice, and the FM3 will have 8 scenes per preset versus 3 for the HX. This is a big difference for gigs. The additional external footswitch/pedal capacity on the FM3 is nice too.
Yes, as far as we know right now the FM3 will stick to the 8 scenes per preset rules.

To be clear on the foot switches, Fractal stated that each foot switches jack will support (2) foot switches each.

ksandvik

Veteran
I was not sure about FM3 but could we still make a parallel path with let's say a dirt pedal for either stereo or mono output for simulating a dual amp mode, not a deal-breaker but a nice feature?

ksandvik

Veteran
Cool, that would basically make it possible to do certain kinds of dual-amp solutions such as using some of the emulated dirt pedals. I think i set up my first dual-amp system 1982 using real amps (Roland JCM120 for clean and a MusicMan + tube screamer for dirt.)

brokenvail

Fractal Fanatic
I'm also thinking about the choice between the HX and the FM3. One of the nice things about HX is that it's 7" x 5" versus the 11" x 9" of the FM3, and also the HX weighs 1.8 lbs versus the 7 lbs of the FM3. The HX seems highly portable by comparison, which is important for me, but for people driving to gigs or rehearsals the differential is pretty irrelevant. The HX also has the USB audio interface, the screen, the 3 buttons, but uses a single SHARC ADSP-21469 processor, and I'm not sure if this makes it more limited - it can run 6 blocks, 1 of which is the amp/cab combo, so 5 other blocks for stomps and FX.
To me the HX is a different market than the FM. Fm competitor in terms of goal and for factor is probably closer to the atomic amplifier. I think lots of people are just looking at other 3 button pedals

Top Bottom