• We would like to remind our members that this is a privately owned, run and supported forum. You are here at the invitation and discretion of the owners. As such, rules and standards of conduct will be applied that help keep this forum functioning as the owners desire. These include, but are not limited to, removing content and even access to the forum.

Please give yourself a refresher on the forum rules you agreed to follow when you signed up.

FM3 hot questions (and, hopefully, answers)

philipacamaniac

Fractal Fanatic
Best answers
Especially for those who may consider using this unit in 4CM with an amp. It would be very frustrating to build a preset without an amp or cab, one reverb, and filling up Core2 with FX while 70% of Core1 remains unused and unavailable!
I’ve seen a few posts about 4CM with the FM3 and I’m curious about how that would work with Out 1 only being XLR, not Humbuster 1/4”. Can Out 2 be split so that L is before the amp and R goes to the amp FX return? Unless I’m missing something?

yek

Best answers
Especially for those who may consider using this unit in 4CM with an amp. It would be very frustrating to build a preset without an amp or cab, one reverb, and filling up Core2 with FX while 70% of Core1 remains unused and unavailable!
The FM3 is in fact an improvement because in this scenario one DSP in the AX8 wouldn’t be used at all.

Mr.Stratocaster

Regular
Best answers
Will FM3 support recording MIDI data like AXE FX II/III via USB ?
I mean, can I still connect my midi keyboard to FM3s MIDI IN and record my keyboard playing into the DAW via USB?

ethomas1013

Forum Addict
Best answers
The FM3 is in fact an improvement because in this scenario one DSP in the AX8 wouldn’t be used at all.
I suppose you are correct, technically, since the reverb is on a separate DSP with the FM3. But there wasn't a second meter in the AX8 constantly reminding me of the unused potential.

Ultimately, I'm guessing an FX8 replacement is coming. Soon...

Last edited:
Reactions: AZG

Mr.Stratocaster

Regular
Best answers
I have a question regarding audiophile quality signal path.

As stated for AXE 3: "The audiophile-quality signal path features Burr-Brown® SoundPlus™ and Analog Devices® op amps, PPS film caps, a high-voltage bipolar power supply for low distortion and maximum headroom, and flagship-quality Cirrus Logic® converters with fully differential input and output circuitry."

Will this be the case for FM3 too ? Or does it use cheaper components through signal path ?

AZG

Inspired
Best answers
I suppose you are correct, technically, since the reverb is on a separate DSP with the FM3. But there wasn't a second meter in the AX8 constantly reminding me of the unused potential.

Ultimately, I'm guessing an FX8 replacement is coming. Soon...
When using a unit that is pretty resource limited like the FM3, squeezing out every last bit DSP could make a big difference. I don’t know how many times I wanted to add just one more effect to complete my preset on the AX8 and ran short on DSP. Tapping into leftover resources on core 2 could go a long way. Especially if switching to spring reverb saves a bunch of DSP cycles like on the AX8. And of course if using with a real amp for effects only, a lot of DSP resources are wasted. Unit looks and sounds great from what I’ve seen so far, but hopeful Fractal will eventually let users maximize DSP resources.

yek

Best answers
When using a unit that is pretty resource limited like the FM3, squeezing out every last bit DSP could make a big difference. I don’t know how many times I wanted to add just one more effect to complete my preset on the AX8 and ran short on DSP. Tapping into leftover resources on core 2 could go a long way. Especially if switching to spring reverb saves a bunch of DSP cycles like on the AX8. And of course if using with a real amp for effects only, a lot of DSP resources are wasted. Unit looks and sounds great from what I’ve seen so far, but hopeful Fractal will eventually let users maximize DSP resources.
An architectural change with such an impact seems highly unlikely, with units expected to ship within 1-2 months.

I would not call the FM3 "resource-limited". It lets you emulate a substantial traditional pedalboard, adding scenes and channels. Only when compared to the Axe-Fx, it's limited.

Intheband

Inspired
Best answers
I need one these this Wednesday, can you overnight it?

As for management, will it have its own FM3 manage, or will it be a button select off the regular Axe Edit for the FX3? Will we have to reload all the cab IR’s etcetera, or can we barrow from ones we already have stored from the the FX3?

AZG

Inspired
Best answers
An architectural change with such an impact seems highly unlikely, with units expected to ship within 1-2 months.

I would not call the FM3 "resource-limited". It lets you emulate a substantial traditional pedalboard, adding scenes and channels. Only when compared to the Axe-Fx, it's limited.
Probably true, but hopefully Fractal will consider changing it later.

thegrizman

Inspired
Best answers
The obsolete comments I don;'t get. You can buy a 1983 Marshall JCM 800 and have a whole career with it over the next 20 years. Why should having 200+ amps in a box be worse?
I have AX8 and JCM 800 Marshall 1983 50 watt combo! Very true.

Tones2

Inspired
Best answers
One of the main complaints of the AX8 was the small screen. Now we have a bigger screen.

Can’t please everybody anybody ;)
The bigger screen makes sense in a bigger unit, like the AX8. The FM3 should have either been smaller or have another row of 3 switches. The screen size interferes with both of those goals. FM3 size is not the HX stomp size I expected with only 3 switches, but I'd be fine with thee FM size if it had another row of 3 switches. It's pretty tall to only have 3 switches. I don't think ANYONE expected a direct AX8 replacement to only have 3 switches - they expected this to be a complementary unit the size of the HX stomp, and the direct AX8 replacement to be comparable size to what exists with 8+ switches.

Last edited:
Top Bottom