FM3 Headphones via Y Cable in Output 2 vs. FM3 w/ Heaphones Output

Texhex

Inspired
My invite is coming up (probably tomorrow) and I have a technical question for the FAS guys or someone in the know. Maybe this has been asked and answered but there are so many posts about headphones and the FM3 that I can't find any real answer to this question.

Is there any significant difference when using headphones via Output 2 and a Y cable vs. using headphones via the headphones output? I'm using Bose QC35 II headphones which have a built in amp and they sounded quite good via a Y cable when I had an AX8. Just curious if there is any hardware difference between the headphones Output and Output 2 via a Y cable. The Y cable is the Hosa YMP-434.

Thanks and looking forward to my invite and product purchase.

Simply put, if you are satisfied with the sound that you had with the ax8, you will be too with the fm3 with the same connection method (y-cable). However, i've read quite glowing comments on the quality of ths headphone output of the axe iii. Assuming they are using similar technologies in both, you should have an improvement in sound quality.

I personally own high impedence, studio headphones and I will wait for the headphone jack version to get the best out of my cans

I also had an AXE III and used the headphones output on that with great success. Never tried the Y cable with the AXE III, didn't need to. I'm just wondering how big of a difference is there between the dedicated headphone jack vs. Output 2 and a Y cable.

I also had an AXE III and used the headphones output on that with great success. Never tried the Y cable with the AXE III, didn't need to. I'm just wondering how big of a difference is there between the dedicated headphone jack vs. Output 2 and a Y cable.

I would suggest to order a cable and try for yourself at this point, it cost close to nothing :)

I already have the cable. I just don't want to order the FM3 without the headphone jack and then regret it down the road vs. waiting another 3? months for one with a headphone jack. I play equally as much through headphones as I do through FRFR or power amp and cabs. Sucks to be put in this position for a $1000 piece of gear but it is what it is.

I tried mine last night for the first time with my IEM. It sounded fine.
I did have to turn Out Level 2 to the max position for a good volume.
I am using the Hosa cable too.
Plan on doing it again tonight.
Another thing, I plan on bringing the FM3 up to the living room where I can plug in my IEM and watch TV at the same time! :cool:

I tried mine last night for the first time with my IEM. It sounded fine.
I did have to turn Out Level 2 to the max position for a good volume.
I am using the Hosa cable too.
Plan on doing it again tonight.
Another thing, I plan on bringing the FM3 up to the living room where I can plug in my IEM and watch TV at the same time! :cool:

If you had the headphone output, how do you know you wouldn't have to turn Output 1 all the way up? We don't know, or do we?

Headphone outputs are miniature power amps. You'll get more power out of a headphone output than you'll get from line-level outputs. The quality of the sound, however, will be excellent either way.

Whether you'll be happy with the level you get through the line-level outputs depends on your headphones and your needs.

If you had the headphone output, how do you know you wouldn't have to turn Output 1 all the way up? We don't know, or do we?

Ohm’s Law. Output 1 and 2 will not yield the same results when connected to headphones. Will it work? Perhaps; your mileage may vary. You could probably get by with a set of earbuds, but most high end cans will require an amplifier to get any decent headroom.

27370AC3-A1FC-4BF3-AC2A-7F774C0E3CE9.jpeg

Personally, there’s not one situation where I would need a headphone output. If I’m gigging, I’ll be using my FRFR and/or IEM’s. If I’m at home, it’ll either be connected to my FRFR or computer.

You could always buy an inexpensive headphone amp as well. Just a thought. I never use headphones so it doesn’t bother me at all.

Thanks man. Looks like I'll be waiting. Bummer!
I feel ya. It's a tough calculation that those of us who practice through headphones all have to go through. The last thing I want to do with an all-in-one effects/amp modeling pedalboard is add something else to the chain just to rehearse.
We still don't have any idea when the complete units will arrive, and so we have to make a choice with incomplete information.
It could be three months, it could be nine months.
I STILL haven't decided.

I feel ya. It's a tough calculation that those of us who practice through headphones all have to go through. The last thing I want to do with an all-in-one effects/amp modeling pedalboard is add something else to the chain just to rehearse.
We still don't have any idea when the complete units will arrive, and so we have to make a choice with incomplete information.
It could be three months, it could be nine months.
I STILL haven't decided.

Depending on your headphones, a cheap DAC may work. I have been using one with my UE10 IEM's. The DAC uses the SPDIF connection on the FM3 and comes with all of the cables you need. And it doesn't tie up the FM3 OUT1/OUT2 physical connections. It's powered by a standard iPhone type USB block.

On the FM3 I have OUT1 knob set at around 50% and the volume knob on the DAC at about 50%. If I turn the DAC volume all the way up it's way too loud for me. And that is even before I crank OUT1 up past 50%. Same results if I change SPDIF to use OUT2 instead.

For a comparison, I plugged my IEM's into a Y cable and connected to OUT2 directly. I can turn OUT2 all the way up and have it just loud enough. So in my case, the DAC setup is providing more than enough volume to my headphones where the Y cable doesn't quite do it. Not sure how this will fair though with other headphone models. But, for the price it may be worth a shot.

I ordered a small NUX board and will just mount the DAC on it out of sight. Then if I just want to direct plugin and have headphones it's there.

Here is a thread where I posted a few pics to see the size:
https://forum.fractalaudio.com/thre...ution-for-those-that-may-want-need-it.160519/

Here is the DAC on Amazon:
Amazon product ASIN B081MZVK64

If you want to hear USB audio through headphones you’ll need 2 x XLR to 1/4” adapters, as USB only goes through Out 1. FYI

I've got a Y cable and tested this out with my FM-3. It sounds great, and it's loud enough for me.

Doing a Y cable from output 2 sounded good to me, but as others have said in the thread it doesn't seem like you can hear USB audio when recording. I guess I'll be looking into some XLR adapters

If you want to hear USB audio through headphones you’ll need 2 x XLR to 1/4” adapters, as USB only goes through Out 1. FYI

This. I'm sure the the people making these instructions have good intentions, but the right way to do this is with output 1, not output 2. Otherwise, it will lead to confusion over "why can't I hear audio coming in from USB?". Output 1 acts like the missing headphone port, not output 2.

Back
Top Bottom