FM3 headphones jack

Status
Not open for further replies.
But that's not how IEMs work. You have an IEM transmitter that takes your monitor mix from the mixer and transmits it to a receiver pack that you plug your IEMs into. You don't use the headphone jack of the unit for that or all you'll hear is yourself.

I take my aviom feed from FOH into one of my effect loop and take my headphone out to my Senn-G4 wireless so I monitor everything in stereo. Works perfect.

If you wanted to use the unit as your main audio interface, I could see where not having the headphone jack could be a problem. I for one already have a killer interface, so it wouldn’t bother me. Most of the people complaining on here probably won’t even receive an invite before April anyways.

If you wanted to use the unit as your main audio interface, I could see where not having the headphone jack could be a problem. I for one already have a killer interface, so it wouldn’t bother me. Most of the people complaining on here probably won’t even receive an invite before April anyways.

Can you direct monitoring of the full DAW output from the headphone jack using the FM3 as your main audio interface? I read though the manual a few times but it was still unclear to me. If so that's another huge disadvantage of not having the headphone jack.

Can you direct monitoring of the full DAW output from the headphone jack using the FM3 as your main audio interface? I read though the manual a few times but it was still unclear to me. If so that's another huge disadvantage of not having the headphone jack.
I would think so. One of the main features is that it can be used as a standalone interface for recording.

I usually don't do in ear monitoring so I'm unfamiliar with the options, but I want to try doing this. So thanks for your input on this and yea, I'd much rather have a wireless solution. Any recommendations for a cheaper version of this that can be connected to one of the FM3 outputs? I would never get a ful band house feed, so I'd probably just use this in ONE ear to be able to hear myself from the FM3 itself, as I'm hardly even ever mic-ed.
With IEMs, one really gets what they pay for. With everything being on WiFi and all the other wireless technology around us everyday, it really pays to buy a quality IEM solution. I spent $800 on a Shure IEM system. So no recommendations for a cheaper solution other than buy once, cry once. You’ll save money in the long run.

So just out of curiosity, I checked the videos from Boston. That unit definitely had the headphone jack. Interesting...
I wonder if, when they got that initial batch from China, they opened the boxes and were like "WTF???"

So just out of curiosity, I checked the videos from Boston. That unit definitely had the headphone jack. Interesting...
I wonder if when they got that initial batch from China, they opened the boxes and were like "WTF???"
I’m guessing yes. Based on the information available it sounds like the first shipment from China was screwed up. Who made the mistake is unclear, but it sounds like it happened. Probably wasn’t a great day at the office :eek: Nevertheless, if everything else is the same some people won’t care if the headphone output is missing, so I understand why they are selling them.

We will be able to get an idea once we see the first picture of the unit. If there’s a drilled hole covered I guess we can asume that something went wrong with that batch and they had to fix them when they receive the shipment and the only reliable option was to eliminate the headphone circuit/jack.

If the units came with no hp out at all it will likely be that what they’re selling is really a small batch of first units made before the final adjustments and press release.

As a minimalist who likes small-footprint but high-quality things, I am hoping the FM3 will be the center of my recording, computer audio, practice, teaching, and gigging. If I like the FM3 I will sell my interface. I use headphones every night because my wife sleeps right through the wall in our small condo.

I think what people are mad about is that their "spot" on the list is taken by a (seemingly) inferior product. Not a big deal in the grand scheme of things, I guess, but I can see why some would be upset.

I can see how those who already have a good audio interface or an Axe-Fx III and are just intending to use this unit live will have no problem with the lack of a headphone output. I'm not one of those people and will happily wait for the MkII units with this feature (but I'm probably too far down the wait list for it to even matter).

If I were one of those who didn't need the headphone out option on the unit I would still be hesitant to purchase one of these first run units because the resale value will likely suffer more than the $50 discount. I never buy gear with the intent to flip it, but I have gone through some tough times financially (wife got laid off, huge unexpected tax bill, etcetera) and the ability to liquidate some gear assets saved the day.

I can see how those who already have a good audio interface or an Axe-Fx III and are just intending to use this unit live will have no problem with the lack of a headphone output. I'm not one of those people and will happily wait for the MkII units with this feature (but I'm probably too far down the wait list for it to even matter).

If I were one of those who didn't need the headphone out option on the unit I would still be hesitant to purchase one of these first run units because the resale value will likely suffer more than the $50 discount. I never buy gear with the intent to flip it, but I have gone through some tough times financially (wife got laid off, huge unexpected tax bill, etcetera) and the ability to liquidate some gear assets saved the day.
I have an axe fx III and a good audio interface. I am getting the FM3 for quick jams where I don’t need to carry the mothership. But a $50 discount for missing features will probably not help in the second hand market where most will expect something fully featured. Given the choice between both and a used market price difference of maybe $20-$25 , don’t see any reason why somebody would forego the headphone out in say a year.

I have an axe fx III and a good audio interface. I am getting the FM3 for quick jams where I don’t need to carry the mothership. But a $50 discount for missing features will probably not help in the second hand market where most will expect something fully featured. Given the choice between both and a used market price difference of maybe $20-$25 , don’t see any reason why somebody would forego the headphone out in say a year.

The lack of a headphone jack takes away two of the main differences in terms of enhanced I/O capabilities of the FM3 vs the AX8 (headphone output and direct USB full DAW output direct monitoring through one unit). Since the FM3 is about the same computing power as the AX8 and has 8 less switches and less hardware direct performance controls, the advantages left are the ARES modeling, the enhanced screen, and the fact that it's smaller and lighter. Those are important certainly important, but in that respect giving only a $50 discount seems not quite right, especially since the aftermarket resale value certain will be hurt by this.

I think I just convinced myself to wait if the opportunity did in fact come up, but we'll see what I actually do, he he..

Last edited:
Boy you guys all play in a lot better places than I do. :mask:
Honestly, it doesn't have to be about the venue at all. You can roll your own personal monitor system to never have to worry about it again. The main reasons being:
1. Avoid hearing damage or causing further damage
2. Be able to hear yourself (and the band) no matter the venue
3. Always have your guitar sound the same to you, no matter where you are playing at

It does cost a bit, but I feel totally worth it. You can get something like a Shure PSM wireless system, some custom ear molds, and a small mixer. Run the Axe-Fx II/III/FM3 into the mixer along with any band mix or whatever you might have. Then send that to your IEM's. I have used this setup in every type of venue and no regrets. For cases where their is zero band mix available, setup a room mic and send that to the mixer. I've used an SM57 and put it on the mic stand since I don't sing. Then it just looks like I have a mic in front of me. That is where my ears would be hearing the rest of the band from anyway. Have also put one on the floor and that worked. Or depending on the rest of the bands volume, they may bleed through enough anyway. With the Axe-Fx III, I ditched the hardware mixer and just run whatever else I need into the other inputs available and use the mixer block. I can use the same setup for the FM3 and use the wireless pack or plug directly into the Shure unit if using headphones. Very modular approach and very flexible.

Honestly, it doesn't have to be about the venue at all. You can roll your own personal monitor system to never have to worry about it again. The main reasons being:
1. Avoid hearing damage or causing further damage
2. Be able to hear yourself (and the band) no matter the venue
3. Always have your guitar sound the same to you, no matter where you are playing at

It does cost a bit, but I feel totally worth it. You can get something like a Shure PSM wireless system, some custom ear molds, and a small mixer. Run the Axe-Fx II/III/FM3 into the mixer along with any band mix or whatever you might have. Then send that to your IEM's. I have used this setup in every type of venue and no regrets. For cases where their is zero band mix available, setup a room mic and send that to the mixer. I've used an SM57 and put it on the mic stand since I don't sing. Then it just looks like I have a mic in front of me. That is where my ears would be hearing the rest of the band from anyway. Have also put one on the floor and that worked. Or depending on the rest of the bands volume, they may bleed through enough anyway. With the Axe-Fx III, I ditched the hardware mixer and just run whatever else I need into the other inputs available and use the mixer block. I can use the same setup for the FM3 and use the wireless pack or plug directly into the Shure unit if using headphones. Very modular approach and very flexible.

I sincerely appreciate the advice, but with 2 feet of standing space, no monitoring system, almost no time to set up, and about 20 people in the crowd usually (most of whom we know), and a 45 minute set tops, this is way overkill for me. :p 🤘 That why I'm looking for a much smaller solution on the floor and in front of me. FM3, 1x12' cab and some direct way to hear myself sourced from the FM3 directly.

Reactions: HIO
I sincerely appreciate the advice, but with 2 feet of standing space, no monitoring system, almost no time to set up, and about 20 people in the crowd usually (most of whom we know), and a 45 minute set tops, this is way overkill for me. :p 🤘 That why I'm looking for a much smaller solution on the floor and in front of me. FM3, 1x12' cab and some direct way to hear myself sourced from the FM3 directly.
It’s been mentioned before but if you put in IEMs with only your guitar, you’ll have to turn it down a lot or all you’ll hear is your guitar since they are also ear plugs.

I play drums with IEMs and can usually get a line from the mixer but I don’t put drums in them. I turn up the volume just enough to hear the mix coming in, but also so I can hear the drums coming through the ear plugs. It’s a really quiet send. It’s the opposite but maybe you can get away with something like that.

Please do not use just one side IEM on small stages like that. You see big artists do it but they’re on huge stages which are actually pretty quiet since everyone is so far away from each other. It’s not the same situation at all. You’ll crank the plugged ear so high to match the crazy level coming in naturally and both sides will have hearing damage, maybe even worse than no IEMs at all.

It’s been mentioned before but if you put in IEMs with only your guitar, you’ll have to turn it down a lot or all you’ll hear is your guitar since they are also ear plugs.

I play drums with IEMs and can usually get a line from the mixer but I don’t put drums in them. I turn up the volume just enough to hear the mix coming in, but also so I can hear the drums coming through the ear plugs. It’s a really quiet send. It’s the opposite but maybe you can get away with something like that.

Please do not use just one side IEM on small stages like that. You see big artists do it but they’re on huge stages which are actually pretty quiet since everyone is so far away from each other. It’s not the same situation at all. You’ll crank the plugged ear so high to match the crazy level coming in naturally and both sides will have hearing damage, maybe even worse than no IEMs at all.
This.
If you're going to wear one IEM on a small stage, please put an ear plug in the other ear.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom