FM3/GT-1000 Core - Help with 2 issues please

podling9

Greetings,
Issue 1.
I have an FM3 and a GT-1000 Core. If I have a guitar signal going to both units via an AB/Y box, the resultant sound has an 'out of phase' quality in the Y position (that might not be the correct term, but what I mean is the bottom end drops out significantly and the sound has a slight 'swirl'. Sorry, I'm not knowledgeable or experienced enough to be more exact or descriptive). Is there any way to remedy this?
Issue 2.
I wondered if a solution might be to place the GT1k Core in the 'effects loop' of the FM3. The problem that I then have is that I already have a Ventris in the loop which I currently activate via enabling or bypassing the loop, and so I would like to be able to 'bypass' the GT1k (via midi) whilst still having the Ventris active. Is there a way of achieving this?
Any advice would be most welcome.
Thanks in advance.

Most likely this IS a phasing issue as the 2 units almost certainly have different latency.

That will cause the some coming out of both to be out of alignment.

I'm not sure there's a simple fix.

What is your setup once the single gets past the A/BY box? @unix-guy is right, but also I would think how you’re handling the stereo aspects of both devices before and then what everything is going into would be important. What you’re describing is definitely phase issues. This is somewhat the nature of the beast. The latency aspect is a tough one to solve, other than that being very careful what both devices are outputting would be helpful. For example just using factory presets both at the same time would cause problems.

What is your setup once the single gets past the A/BY box? @unix-guy is right, but also I would think how you’re handling the stereo aspects of both devices before and then what everything is going into would be important. What you’re describing is definitely phase issues. This is somewhat the nature of the beast. The latency aspect is a tough one to solve, other than that being very careful what both devices are outputting would be helpful. For example just using factory presets both at the same time would cause problems.
What do factory presets have to do anything?

What do factory presets have to do anything?
Because if you’re summing to mono presets with time based FX and whatever else may be stuffed into the preset you already are setting up problem areas, then taking both of them into an ABY box (which depending on what it is has potential issues) and then stuffing that into a mono situation (or not) there’s all sorts of phase cancellation or combing potential. Why do you ask?

In reality there really isn’t enough information to give a great answer to the OP in general.

Because if you’re summing to mono presets with time based FX and whatever else may be stuffed into the preset you already are setting up problem areas, then taking both of them into an ABY box (which depending on what it is has potential issues) and then stuffing that into a mono situation (or not) there’s all sorts of phase cancellation or combing potential. Why do you ask?

In reality there really isn’t enough information to give a great answer to the OP in general.
That has nothing to do with a preset being a factory preset though.

Are you seriously going to be this obtuse? I figured if the guy doesn’t understand what he’s dealing with on this level than there’s a good chance he may not have taken the time to configure presets that MIGHT work. I was merely giving an example of the many situations. I think I made that point clear.

Is this some sort of passive aggressive BS because I ragged on your buddy in another post? Oh forget it because I’m sure you’ll be passive aggressive and be disingenuous about it anyway.

I’m blown away at the BS some people need to start on this forum. Everyone was all lovey dovey when they were getting free stuff in December, but man less than a month later and it’s back to same arrogant, stupid crap.

And your solution is “Why are you using both”. Do me a favor and block me so you don’t have to see my posts!

Edit:
And bottomline I think it’s possible to use both given the proper considerations and setup.

Last edited:
Greetings,
Issue 1.
I have an FM3 and a GT-1000 Core. If I have a guitar signal going to both units via an AB/Y box, the resultant sound has an 'out of phase' quality in the Y position (that might not be the correct term, but what I mean is the bottom end drops out significantly and the sound has a slight 'swirl'. Sorry, I'm not knowledgeable or experienced enough to be more exact or descriptive). Is there any way to remedy this?
Issue 2.
I wondered if a solution might be to place the GT1k Core in the 'effects loop' of the FM3. The problem that I then have is that I already have a Ventris in the loop which I currently activate via enabling or bypassing the loop, and so I would like to be able to 'bypass' the GT1k (via midi) whilst still having the Ventris active. Is there a way of achieving this?
Any advice would be most welcome.
Thanks in advance.
I just want to say I understand why you would want to run both at the same time. Just like the FM3’s big brother accommodates two Amp blocks at the same time trying to achieve this (and more) with what you have is sensible. I just want to apologize for potentially derailing your post. It was not my intention. Please continue on if you wish.

Thank you for your responses folks, very much appreciated.
Your question is a reasonable one Jive Turkey, the answer is, I can't get (and probably can't afford (currency conversion to AU$ is a killer)) an FM9 and so I was seeing if I could combine the two for whatever the two amp effect is. Just curious. I know I can do that with the GT, but I was interested in exploring what might be possible with the two units. And GitGuy513, you are also correct, I'm not very confident as yet at managing the depths of either unit and so your easier path approach to helping was appreciated.
Thanks again, There are still myriad options and directions available to me even without this particular use.

Are you seriously going to be this obtuse? I figured if the guy doesn’t understand what he’s dealing with on this level than there’s a good chance he may not have taken the time to configure presets that MIGHT work. I was merely giving an example of the many situations. I think I made that point clear.

Is this some sort of passive aggressive BS because I ragged on your buddy in another post? Oh forget it because I’m sure you’ll be passive aggressive and be disingenuous about it anyway.

I’m blown away at the BS some people need to start on this forum. Everyone was all lovey dovey when they were getting free stuff in December, but man less than a month later and it’s back to same arrogant, stupid crap.
Edited for I was simply trying to clarify what OP was trying to do.

Op; I get your thought process now. I would combine them but relegate them to their own tasks that won't cause phase issues. The "dual amp thing" is in my opinion; highly overrated. If you did want to do that; I'd use the FM for pre and post fx and let the Core do the amp modeling. Heresy; I know :yum:

Last edited:
It seems like some people, some of the time just want to be here but don't want to actually help. This isn't the worst forum for that though lol

Reactions: Mal
I'd try running the GT Core as loop within the FM3 and see if that improves the phasing.
So output 2 on FM3 to the input on your Core. Output of the Core to input 2 on the FM3.
Create the proper blocks in your Axe preset to loop in the Core.

Edited for I was simply trying to clarify what OP was trying to do.

Op; I get your thought process now. I would combine them but relegate them to their own tasks that won't cause phase issues. The "dual amp thing" is in my opinion; highly overrated. If you did want to do that; I'd use the FM for pre and post fx and let the Core do the amp modeling. Heresy; I know :yum:
I find the dual amp thing works awesome IF you pan them hard left and right (and you are sitting in a stereo field - like at a desk with studio monitors)

I find the dual amp thing works awesome IF you pan them hard left and right (and you are sitting in a stereo field - like at a desk with studio monitors)
I cross the streams in my own way by using Boss IRs in every modeler I use. My FM9 presets are all rocking Boss IRs. Don't judge :D

The way Boss modelers play with other devices is very frustrating. As far as just output select settings, loop implementation and everything on the signal chain all the time. Ugh. I tend to just either use Boss standalone pedals with things or use the Boss modeling device on it's own. If you aren't looking for a real life amp (because Boss is generally TERRIBLE at that compared to really any other company); the Boss originals are great.

Thank you for your responses folks, very much appreciated.
Your question is a reasonable one Jive Turkey, the answer is, I can't get (and probably can't afford (currency conversion to AU$ is a killer)) an FM9 and so I was seeing if I could combine the two for whatever the two amp effect is. Just curious. I know I can do that with the GT, but I was interested in exploring what might be possible with the two units. And GitGuy513, you are also correct, I'm not very confident as yet at managing the depths of either unit and so your easier path approach to helping was appreciated.
Thanks again, There are still myriad options and directions available to me even without this particular use.

In my most humble opinion, dual amps is largely a waste of time and you're jumping through a ton of hoops here and creating more problems than solving. I think the quickest path to the best tones are to keep things relatively simple only adding things if there is specifically something missing. It's way too easy in the digital world to go way over the top in terms of signal chains where each successive step is just fixing an issue introduced by the last.

We all look at the same racing form and bet on a different horse. Keeping it simpler than I would like is what's worked best for me live. It's all fun and games until the drummer starts hitting hard and the bass comes in. Nearly all nuance is instantly lost then and what works best in that setting is way less. YMMV.

Further thanks to the others who have offered their thoughts and advice.
One of the things that I really appreciate about this forum is that a real novice like me can seek advice and learn more about the modelling realm and what it is and isn't capable of, by simply asking.
I hope all of you experienced folk realise what a great asset you are and how much you are appreciated.

some things you might try:

An A/B/Y box with a phase switch like the radial big shot may help if the Y signals are a full 180° out.
Perhaps even a phase reverse pedal with your current A/B/Y on either one of your modeler's inputs. RG Keen has a great schematic.

If it is less than 180° out you could add a delay block with 100% mix to the fastest device .. set to just a few milliseconds. That will take some trial and error to set, but it will compensate for latency induced phasing.

Back
Top Bottom