FM3 Gen 2?

I'd be happy to see an FM5, possibly with the same power of the FM9 or at least something in between the FM3 and the FM9.

Just gonna say a third time, the FM3 is probably way more powerful than you know.

I am a big time ambient, many reverbs, delays, any of those effects, and only on a COUPLE certain presets to I hit any kind of warning.

Like some specialty shimmer reverb, whereas there are like 6-8 to choose from. Even that, you can easily make use of if you remove say another of your 12-24 fx blocks currently active.

FM3 is way more than people let on...

So I've been rocking the Axe FX II+ for a good 4 or so years, but carrying the gear in and out of gigs isn't helping my ageing back... I say ageing, I'm only 26 next week! But would like to keep my back intact for many more years of gigging. ;)

Been looking at the FM3 allot over the last few weeks, think it would be perfect for my uses, the FM9 although more powerful is a bit too big for my setup.

But the big question is do I jump the gun on a FM3 now or hold off on an upgraded FM3 that might have a bit more DSP? If there will indeed be an upgrade, anyone have any info? :confused:
Let's me guess...you are an apple user ?

So I've been rocking the Axe FX II+ for a good 4 or so years, but carrying the gear in and out of gigs isn't helping my ageing back... I say ageing, I'm only 26 next week! But would like to keep my back intact for many more years of gigging. ;)

Been looking at the FM3 allot over the last few weeks, think it would be perfect for my uses, the FM9 although more powerful is a bit too big for my setup.

But the big question is do I jump the gun on a FM3 now or hold off on an upgraded FM3 that might have a bit more DSP? If there will indeed be an upgrade, anyone have any info? :confused:
I had the same question. Let me save you the pondering - just buy the FM3.
When I finally did, I was mad at myself for waiting and pondering (gee...maybe there will be a FM3 mk2 soon).

Side note - as someone who's been gigging for 25+ years, if you want to save your back, play light guitars.
Wearing a 10lb Les Paul every night does more damage than moving any rack case I've ever owned.
Not saying you play a 10lb LP, just saying....my body takes the most damage during a show, not moving gear.

Ok, stop reading this and go order the FM3. Thank me later.

Honestly assess your Axe II presets. There’s probably so many redundant parameters that, if you approach blocks, scenes and presets efficiently, you don’t need to wait for an upgraded FM3. Unless you have presets that depend on multiple amps or cabs (again, ask yourself why), you’ll be well served by an FM3. If you need the same number of switches as an Axe II/FCS-101, add an FM12 and you’re all set.

Also keep in mind that a Fractal upgrades mostly come in the form of firmware updates, as it’s a major capital investment in design, engineering and manufacturing changes (don’t forget supply problems globally). So, a new box every two years (or whatever, I’m not going to argue about that number) is not feasible in this marketplace.

Post what your favorite presets on the Axe-Fx 3 look like and we might be able to gauge if the FM3 can do it. Remember that with FM3 you can get by with less blocks as you have double the channels in each.

I feel the FM3 works fine if you are willing to compromise on reverb quality, don't need dual amps/cabs and massively complex signal chains in a single preset. Splitting your kitchen sink preset to a couple of more purpose built ones works well.

I think this is a good comparison of the units:

I don't see a FM3 Turbo or whatever happening anytime soon with the supply chain issues and they have barely got the FM9 out and that is being sold partly with its higher processing power. The FM3 needs to be priced cheaper to be the "get people to try out the Fractal system" unit since the FM9 and Axe-Fx 3 are much more expensive.

I don’t really think it’s too big of a deal to break up things to a couple patches, simply because the Block Library makes it simple to just drop the very same amp settings to another patch. But yeah, an FM9 would probably be the sweet spot for me, more so because of the form factor.

Something between fm3 and fm9 doesn't seem necessary with the new firmware, I hit max 75% dsp with very complex patches, it's just a matter of good use of channels in every block that permits it and not to get crazy in quality option at reverb block.

Back
Top Bottom