FM3: G66 availability?

OK, that was unexpected!

I just received an invitation for the no HP version (thanks Sussi!). I went on the waitlist on 11/9/2019 (Sept. 11th, yes, I double checked this, I found my email, honestly I didn't even know the existence of the FM3 before that date, long hiatus from forums, I found out when I was thinking of buying an AX8). I didn't expect that to happen that early.

I think I'll wait for the HP version, no rush here, I still play and record on a daily basis with my AF2.

how come it was unexpected? No one wants the non HP version, not even the Americans.

we were supposed to have directly the HP version in Europe and instead they’re shipping only in the US

Non HP unit invite from waitlist 13 November. I really wanted the headphone output, so the wait goes on unfortunately.

Non HP unit invite from waitlist 12th of December. I will buy it when its available around the first week of July.
Thanks Sussi for the email

Reactions: Ole
So, got my invitation from Jacques yesterday (joined the waitlist on 3. September 2019). Yep, non Headphone. And "it will take some time until the headphone version arrives". Fine for me - headphone out would be a bonus, but I honestly used a headphone out on a guitar amp/modeller last time never. And since I have a headphone preamp for my IEMs, who cares? (and it is cheaper :D)

got my non-hp invite yesterday.
waitlist september 14, 2019

does anybody know if I have to reply within a certain time? need to think about if I want the non hp version

I dont know why is so important the headphone output. With a proper jack cable, you can use your headphone ,doesn't necessary a dedicated output. Sometimes I used my Axe Fx Ax8 with headphones, and it worked.

I don't understand
So many complaints, so many waiting and so many people rejected FM3 without HP?
The G66 list goes fairly quickly. I am enrolled on February 2, 2020
Don't take it without HP and I'll have FM3 sooner :)

I dont know why is so important the headphone output. With a proper jack cable, you can use your headphone ,doesn't necessary a dedicated output. Sometimes I used my Axe Fx Ax8 with headphones, and it worked.
For me it is an extra stereo output in a live situation where we make our own monitor mix. Maybe SPDIF might be an option, but then I would need another converter to analogue.

I waited so desperatly and patiently for the HP version of the FM 3 but today I decided to go for the non HP version as it will be shipped to me at the beginning of July :D
Most of the time I will connect the FM 3 to my ipad pro and a Line 6 Sonic Port VX interface between both units and as I do not use stereo effects that often I will only connect it via Out 1.
That will work for jamming and also to record via the Sonic Port VX and if I want to record to laptop I will use my good old Line 6 UX 2 Toneport interface with every software simulation disabled.
Maybe I will purchase a M-Audio Bass Traveller and a Y splitter for using the FM 3 without the iPad but I am not sure.
Now I am looking forward to receive my FM 3 and will forget the fact that I could already have it since I got my first invite on 23th of May :D

I waited so desperatly and patiently for the HP version of the FM 3 but today I decided to go for the non HP version as it will be shipped to me at the beginning of July :D

Enjoy! I've not had much time with mine yet as super busy at work. I strongly suspect that the wait list is long and our names came up quickly only because most people passed for the HP version. I think there will be a long wait for the HP version, there's just so many more people queuing for that, historically Fractal has taken a while to get through the list, and COVID is likely slowing production and shipping time too. It's primarily why like you I jumped on the Non HP version and bought an interface.

Your tone will suck if you connect to Out 2 using a y cable. It's a 600ohm output impedance. You want it to much lower than your headphones, typically it's under 35ohm, usually under 10 ohm. An interface, or the cheap headphone amps will solve that issue though. Just be sure to connect via output 1 if you want to hear computer audio through the headphones too.

Joined the waitlist on August 6th; received offer for non-headphone unit on June 17th. Will skip the non-HP version just because I'm not in a hurry and I'm actually enjoying the AX8 right now. BTW, connecting headphones to AX8 via a Behringer P2 works perfectly. You can get a P2 used for a low price and the advantage over a headphone out on the unit is that P2 has its own volume control so you don't have to reach for the unit. I would go for non-HP now if there was a bigger price difference between HP and non-HP units.

Your tone will suck if you connect to Out 2 using a y cable. It's a 600ohm output impedance. You want it to much lower than your headphones, typically it's under 35ohm, usually under 10 ohm. An interface, or the cheap headphone amps will solve that issue though. Just be sure to connect via output 1 if you want to hear computer audio through the headphones too.
So does this mean that Out 2 has a much higher output impedance than the headphone jack on units with HP out? I used my AX 8 with a Allen and Heath ZED-6 mixer and that worked perfect with my AKG-271 MK II headphones which have 55 ohm

So does this mean that Out 2 has a much higher output impedance than the headphone jack on units with HP out? I used my AX 8 with a Allen and Heath ZED-6 mixer and that worked perfect with my AKG-271 MK II headphones which have 55 ohm
The mixer has a headphone out. That will work fine. Some folk are connecting headphones directly to out2 using a y cable.

I don't understand
So many complaints, so many waiting and so many people rejected FM3 without HP?
The G66 list goes fairly quickly. I am enrolled on February 2, 2020
Don't take it without HP and I'll have FM3 sooner :)

I rejected the non HP version because I would definitely use the FM3 while on vacation, as well. Having just a unit to connect the headphones to, it is worth the extra wait.

Back
Top Bottom