FM3: G66 availability?

Who else keep investing in stuff for the FM3? My board is ready since a year, but I have bought new Providence patch cables, toppers, further Temple board accessories, a new bag for it, external switches, etc.
I hope that it will not been delayed further as I am running out of ideas 😁

Who else keep investing in stuff for the FM3? My board is ready since a year, but I have bought new Providence patch cables, toppers, further Temple board accessories, a new bag for it, external switches, etc.
I, for one, am glad I didn’t invest in a bunch of FM3-specific stuff or I would have had to unload even more than my non-HP-FM3 when it finally arrived (got tired of waiting and too another road)...🙄

I, for one, am glad I didn’t invest in a bunch of FM3-specific stuff or I would have had to unload even more than my non-HP-FM3 when it finally arrived (got tired of waiting and too another road)...🙄

I took a year away from Fractal when the original delays kicked off last year. Went Kemper. Enjoyed it for what it was but ultimately found that most profiles didn’t really do it for me. A lot of users like overly bright and fizzy high gain tones. I enjoyed some Top Jimi profiles, particularly the LJ Marshall. Some Amp Factory clean stuff was nice too. Never really understood the hype for M Britt profiles, but understand they sound best at gig volumes. I don’t.

Also tried out the Helix but it just sounded rubbish as did Bias. I’m quite happy to be back with my FM3.

For sure, the FM3 is newer, more CPU power etc...

The effects and amp modeling alghorytm in AX8, FX3 and FX III is the same so quality of sound processing is great in every model. Only the CPU power... and price of course.

Sorry, but... No.

I have both AX8 and Axe Fx III and definitely there's difference in the quality of the modeling. The core tone is there between both units, but there are some subjective properties (those people like to describe with words like roundness, fat, hair, wapoosh, etc...) that takes the Ares generation to another level. Also, the drives are nicer in the III since the FASPICE XD update, not to mention the Chorus, Phaser and Flanger overhauls. The Pitch Shifter overhaul is another thing... TBH the Pitch block is the weakest link in the AX8 and asked Cliff if there's a chance to update those changes to the AX8 and the answer was no.

Don't get me wrong, the AX8 is still a stellar piece of gear, but to say "it's only CPU power and price" and "they all have the same algorithms for modeling and effects" is just plain wrong IMO.

If anything like that was true, I would be selling the Axe the very first time I compared it to the AX8 ( and it was a bare bones comparison, just amp and cab, so nothing fancy, to throw away the "yeah, the Axe's CPU is exponentially powerful, duh" thing).

I was reluctant to consider the FM3, given the 3-switch layout (still think AX8's layout and controls are perfectly designed) but my priorities are sound over form. Again, if "I" hadn't found any remarkable difference in sound between the AX8 and the III, then I wouldn't be insisting for the Ares update in the AX8 forum, but given that's just not gonna happen I guess there's an AX8 for sale in my area...

Last edited:
With a very, very heavy heart I just gave up my FM3 wait list entry that I had since day one. 😢

This whole situation must be very frustrating for G66, and it‘s not their fault. But after 15 months of bad news I guess I have finally lost faith in this product.

I can‘t believe I really just did it. 😱

(EDIT December 25 2020: I am really pleased to see that most of the FM3‘s issues have been addressed and it is now getting regular firmware updates. I re-entered the G66 wait list and should get my unit in January or February.)

Last edited:
Sorry, but... No.

I have both AX8 and Axe Fx III and definitely there's difference in the quality of the modeling. The core tone is there between both units, but there are some subjective properties (those people like to describe with words like roundness, fat, hair, wapoosh, etc...) that takes the Ares generation to another level. Also, the drives are nicer in the III since the FASPICE XD update, not to mention the Chorus, Phaser and Flanger overhauls. The Pitch Shifter overhaul is another thing... TBH the Pitch block is the weakest link in the AX8 and asked Cliff if there's a chance to update those changes to the AX8 and the answer was no.

Don't get me wrong, the AX8 is still a stellar piece of gear, but to say "it's only CPU power and price" and "they all have the same algorithms for modeling and effects" is just plain wrong IMO.

If anything like that was true, I would be selling the Axe the very first time I compared it to the AX8 ( and it was a bare bones comparison, just amp and cab, so nothing fancy, to throw away the "yeah, the Axe's CPU is exponentially powerful, duh" thing).

I was reluctant to consider the FM3, given the 3-switch layout (still think AX8's layout and controls are perfectly designed) but my priorities are sound over form. Again, if "I" hadn't found any remarkable difference in sound between the AX8 and the III, then I wouldn't be insisting for the Ares update in the AX8 forum, but given that's just not gonna happen I guess there's an AX8 for sale in my area...

Same here, nothing touched my Ax8 in the three years I owned it. Within two weeks of getting the III the Ax8 was sold, simply because everything sounded better in the III

It's a newer unit with more horsepower and features. Fractal aren't having people on here, the III is better than its predecessor, no question

I did the same but got my non hp since 07.07.2020 and I am very happy with the M-audio Bass Traveler headphone amp so I do not miss anything 🤷‍♂️ I am not interested in the reselling value as I will not sell it 🤷‍♂️😀

With a very, very heavy heart I just gave up my FM3 wait list entry that I had since day one. 😢

This whole situation must be very frustrating for G66, and it‘s not their fault. But after 15 months of bad news I guess I have finally lost faith in this product.

I can‘t believe I really just did it. 😱

I feel your pain. However, try as I did, find a worthy alternative that suits your needs, and don't look back.

As a former AX8 (and now headphone out-less FM3) owner, I can tell you it is worth the wait. I got all my patches without problems converted, and could also add more blocks ;)
Sonically, it is a difference.
A friend of mine (pro guitarist) owns a Morgan AC-20, with the AX8 he said "sound nearly equal, but the feeling...".
Showed him the stock patch from the FM3 - "Sounds like my amp. Wouldn't hear or feel the difference blindfolded." So - worthwhile.

I am so sad about the delay... But I feel so desensitized at this point..

It's so close now, a few more weeks won't kill me. Right..?
Yes and there aren't so much occasions to play it live at these times 🤷‍♂️😀 But what I am telling you? I am at holidays with my family now for only five days and I am missing my FM 3 so bad 😱😀

Back
Top Bottom