FM3 Freezing using FM3-Edit and converting patches

Tplesko

Inspired
Hi all, this is the 4th Fractal product I have had and I have never had an issue with the unit freezing. The use case is that I am converting AX8 files (and a few Axe III patches) using Fractool and, regardless of size, after a few seconds or a minute the FM3 locks up and FM3 Edit sits on "Communicating" for a while before it times out. Some of these are very simple patches and the unit actually has frozen on me just playing a time or two, which is unnerving. Any thoughts or ideas? Reset to factory (I dont prefer to do this as I will have a lot of cab imports to do again, but I can if that will help)?

Are you on the latest 3.01 firmware and latest FM3 edit ? Very importanot.

I don’t use fractool....can’t comment on that.

Are you on the latest 3.01 firmware and latest FM3 edit ? Very importanot.

I don’t use fractool....can’t comment on that.
Yes indeed, 3.01 and newest FM3 Edit....I am beginning to believe it is when I convert large patches mostly, ones over 85% or so of CPU. We dont have an online edit capability so I am unsure of there best way to trim these down, then convert, then import into FM3. Never had this issue before with the AX8.....

Perhaps there's a reason Fractal hasn't developed or released a preset conversion tool to transfer presets between devices? It seems a lot of issues users have with the FM3 comes down to using converted presets, especially between devices with different modelling algorithms.

Hi all, this is the 4th Fractal product I have had and I have never had an issue with the unit freezing. The use case is that I am converting AX8 files (and a few Axe III patches) using Fractool and, regardless of size, after a few seconds or a minute the FM3 locks up and FM3 Edit sits on "Communicating" for a while before it times out. Some of these are very simple patches and the unit actually has frozen on me just playing a time or two, which is unnerving. Any thoughts or ideas? Reset to factory (I dont prefer to do this as I will have a lot of cab imports to do again, but I can if that will help)?
Yup, I had that happen yesterday when trying to get some old presets onto the FM3. The unit was still responsive though, but I had to reboot it to get FM3-Edit to work again. FracTool didn’t convert the patches properly or the scenes. I’ve given up on converting presets for now.

I simply avoided doing this and recreated what I did in the Axe III to my FM3 via the editor. Had both units on and put them both into view in open windows. I simply hard copied each preset and parameter I was using in real time. A bit tedious but once done, all good now. I haven't experienced any lockups or freeze ups as of yet.

I simply avoided doing this and recreated what I did in the Axe III to my FM3 via the editor. Had both units on and put them both into view in open windows. I simply hard copied each preset and parameter I was using in real time. A bit tedious but once done, all good now. I haven't experienced any lockups or freeze ups as of yet.
I never had an older unit so I can't view the patches prior to converting them.

I never had an older unit so I can't view the patches prior to converting them.

I can see why then. Not easy starting everything over. I hate to say it but you would probably be the safest to reset everything. Is there a way you can see the settings in your patches that are on there now and make note of things? It's a pain but at least you may have something to work with.

I can see why then. Not easy starting everything over. I hate to say it but you would probably be the safest to reset everything. Is there a way you can see the settings in your patches that are on there now and make note of things? It's a pain but at least you may have something to work with.
Partly, the scenes didn’t convert and everything at the far ends of the chain got deleted.

Yep, that is the scenario I am lookin at also....thanks for the reply,

I'm curious if it is even worth trying to convert AX8 presets. I was on the FM3 waitlist for well over a year and was very much on the fence about ordering it when my unit became available, but when I got it I was surprised how much better it sounded than my AX8. I feel the modelling has moved on and that AX8 patches would need to be tweaked so much that it would probably be easier just to start from scratch?

I'm curious if it is even worth trying to convert AX8 presets. I was on the FM3 waitlist for well over a year and was very much on the fence about ordering it when my unit became available, but when I got it I was surprised how much better it sounded than my AX8. I feel the modelling has moved on and that AX8 patches would need to be tweaked so much that it would probably be easier just to start from scratch?
You're right. With all the modeling improvements, presets imported from the AX8 will probably need adjustment.

Back
Top Bottom