Fixed FM3 freezes when USB reconnected while FM3-Edit is running

Feckless

Firmware 3.01, FM3-Edit 1.02.02.

I can replicate this freeze with any preset. FM3 will freeze if I disconnect the USB cable while FM3-Edit is running and then reconnect the cable (the same thing happens if my MacBook Pro sleeps with the cable attached).

FM3-Edit will look for the connection (barber pole) but will reach connection time out. Audio on FM3 is fine (including audio out via USB) but the front panel of the unit is frozen (all switches do nothing, display frozen on last view). Power cycle resets.

Fractal-Bot also times out ("Message timeout: Preset" or "Message timeout: System + Global Blocks + FC") under same conditions.

I will post the last preset I used but as I said I can make it happen every time with any preset. I'm posting after a power cycle since I cannot get these files while the unit is frozen.

Thanks for any help!

Attachments

• Smokey Jazz.syx
    24.1 KB · Views: 1
  • 210101-232050-system+gb+fc.syx
    192.6 KB · Views: 1
These connection/USB driver problems, ponctual, sure, are getting seriously on my stomach.

Yesterday night I had a patch on overload, trying to check on the advice for the Blues OD block as answer on a possible bug in this forum. Patch including a multicomp block. I encountered connection problems or slow reaction of FM3 Edit :
  • clicked a few times to close FM3 Edit, had to stop it through an Exit procédure of the lower menu bar
  • Reboot (power off/on) of FM3
  • Relaunched FM3 Edit which didn't seem to restart, or with difficulties and had two FM3 Edit launched.
  • FM3 Edit indicates another instance got closed, so far so good.
  • Immediately after : computer shutdown on fatal Kernel Data Inpage error
The computer is an ASUS portable W8.1 installed. It got seriously damaged and won't startup anymore, autorepair functions get blocked around this kernel error (hard disk stops running after 15 minutes of "trying to find a sollution"). I definetely will have to bring it to a cybertek company here to see what can be done, but this event saddens and frustrates me a lot.

Of course there can be any other possibility for this (virus, cyberattack etc); but not really very probable with a Malwarebytes trial version active and running, but the coincidence with these FM3 Edit connection problems seems not just a hasard. Also I just never ever encountered this type of problems with any of my computers since 1988.

Please bring these problems to an end. IMHO the FM3 or FM3 Edit driver needs a rewriting or foolproof tests from ground zero, something is really wrong there.

Spend some time to find any recovery solution; not possible since one needs to create an external bootable restoration USB from a working and running system....too late so game over, "maybe better next time".

No time nor the will to spend hours and hours to go through all this hassle again so will bring the PC to the Cybertek store here to reinstall 8.1 new, raz the HDD and then reinstall all the apps during the weekend.

I am not ready to reconnect FM3 in a durable way to a computer again. Maybe Cybertek can recover and run a "WhoCrashed" utility; in case I will revert here.

Very embarrassing.

OP here. I bought a new Belkin cable today (3rd cable I've tried). Downloaded and reinstalled FM3-Edit 1.02.02 and refreshed 3.01 firmware. FM3 freezes when USB cable is reconnected after being disconnected. FM3-Edit fails to reconnect (same time-out message above). Audio is uninterrupted but screen is frozen and no controls (switches, buttons) respond. Power cycle resets.

I think we can rule out a faulty USB cable.

I tried to see if I could get the unit to freeze when FM3-Edit is not running. I disconnected and reconnected the USB cable many times while Garageband is running -- I could not get it to freeze. Both GarageBand and the unit are working fine after many disconnections and reconnections. GarageBand reconnects without difficulty once the USB cable is restored. Does that mean this is an FM3-Edit problem rather than an FM3 problem? But note that the issue is not confined to FM3-Edit failing to connect, as the screen and controls on the unit itself also become unresponsive.

Please let me know if there is any further information I can provide. Thanks very much.

Spend some time to find any recovery solution; not possible since one needs to create an external bootable restoration USB from a working and running system....too late so game over, "maybe better next time".

No time nor the will to spend hours and hours to go through all this hassle again so will bring the PC to the Cybertek store here to reinstall 8.1 new, raz the HDD and then reinstall all the apps during the weekend.

I am not ready to reconnect FM3 in a durable way to a computer again. Maybe Cybertek can recover and run a "WhoCrashed" utility; in case I will revert here.

Very embarrassing.

I wonder if the issue lies with the OS. Win 8.1 is quite old. Have you the possibility to try with a newer PC using Win 10?

I wonder if the issue lies with the OS. Win 8.1 is quite old. Have you the possibility to try with a newer PC using Win 10?
Possible, it shouldn't happen though IMHO, it never happened with W7 I have on another PC. I used to have FM3 also on my professional PC with W10, and never met any problems also. In the mean time I had to reinstall completely this computer, just hope it won't happen again soon.
Seems quite related to the fact having several times started FM3 Edit in parallel and maybe even an exit procedure clicked
Maybe this PC is too slow (1.8Ghz/4GB RAM). I tried W10 on this computer before X-Mas but it ran too slow. I'll see if I can install 4GB more on this one or a bigger RAM to make it work with W10. It's a touch screen ASUS S200E PC, not quite new but one of my sons left it to me and I'm a bit "attached" to it ;-). Very fine to work with in fact. Thanks for reacting.

Possible, it shouldn't happen though IMHO, it never happened with W7 I have on another PC. I used to have FM3 also on my professional PC with W10, and never met any problems also. In the mean time I had to reinstall completely this computer, just hope it won't happen again soon.
Seems quite related to the fact having several times started FM3 Edit in parallel and maybe even an exit procedure clicked
Maybe this PC is too slow (1.8Ghz/4GB RAM). I tried W10 on this computer before X-Mas but it ran too slow. I'll see if I can install 4GB more on this one or a bigger RAM to make it work with W10. It's a touch screen ASUS S200E PC, not quite new but one of my sons left it to me and I'm a bit "attached" to it ;-). Very fine to work with in fact. Thanks for reacting.

Have you tested the RAM on that particular PC? In my experience, a RAM module going bad can very well lead to the problem that you are having. The RAM banks should be tested with memtest86 running a few hours (I usually do a 12 hours test).

Edit: just to be clear, don't test the RAM with windows' own tool. It's worthless and detects nothing. One should boot the machine with memtest86.

Same here! BAD bug in this. FM3 connected to Axe Edit on Mac and when I hit the Tuner on the FM3 while all connected, bad freeze and I have to shutdown and reboot the FM3.

My FM3 just started doing all of this after trying to bring a III preset (with Synth and CPU overload) to the FM3. Updating firmware and FM3 Edit, did not help. Thread is marked "Fixed"...?

So the preset was already overloading on the III and you're importing it into the FM3?
If so, issues can be expected.

So the preset was already overloading on the III and you're importing it into the FM3?
If so, issues can be expected.
No wasn't overloading on III, but CPU overload warning is on FM3 display. How can I delete it if it freezes immediately upon selecting it? Maybe save a different preset to that number?

Last weekend I had an event that made me freeze my back....touching accidentally the USB cable (supplied with the unit by G66, a rather good cable) The screen just lit up totally white and then slowly greyed down until total extinction. I thought the screen just had blown up in front of me. At restart all was OK. Anybody had that happen ? I cannot reproduce it anyway (and prefer not to try also...).

Also, when staying connected, after a long period, fm3 edit will need a restart, but effectively the unit stays functional so I guess the initial subject this thread has been solved. With Axe Fx II I don't remember to have these issues.

Back
Top Bottom