Fixed FM3 Freeze FW1.04

ValentinC

Hi. I have the FM3 since 4 days ago. It´s a wonderful unit. But it freezes a lot.
It has 2 tipes of freezes:
  • Sometimes while connected to the FM3 Edit, the unit appears connected but the editor does not seems to don anything to the unit.
  • Both connected and unconnected to the USB, the unit continues functioning ok (sounds) but nothing seems to work, nor buttons or footswitches.

I am now modyfing the JVM2 patch, and i had to restart the unit at least 6 times in the las 30 minutes.

Thanks

Hi.
I've just got mine yesterday, and I tried it all afternoon with no problems, first connected to a FRFR cabinet, and then later connected to my interface through SPDIF and had no problems either. But today I started installing the FM3 Edit and all the other Windows USB Drivers Bundle to run it in my PC and i'm experiencing the exact same issues that you just described, but my FM3 has the 1.03 FW (stock from factory).

When connected through USB this happens:

• Windows recognized it. (W7)
  • The Fractal Bot recognized it, but when I try to load the FW 1.04 it stays at 0% and then it says "No response received".
  • The FM3 Edit shows that it's connected, but again it says that the connection it's timed out.

What i've noticed, is that if I don't connect the FM3 through USB, it works fine and doesn't get freezed.

This is really strange to me, because i also have the AXE FX III running in the same PC (same setup, but not at the same time) and it works fine, flawless, never had an issue what so ever.

I'm attaching a screen capture where you can check what is happening to my unit.

FM3 not connecting USB.jpg

Is anyone else having the same issue? Is there a way to fix it or work aroud it?

Last edited:
Hi.
I've just got mine yesterday, and I tried it all afternoon with no problems, first conected to a FRFR cabinet, and then later connected to my interface through SPDIF and had no problems either. But today I started installing the FM3 Edit and all the other Windows USB Drivers Bundle to run it in my PC and i'm experiencing the exact same issues that you just described, but my FM3 has the 1.03 FW (stock from factory).

• The Fractal Bot recognized it, but when I try to load the FW 1.04 it stays at 0% and then it says "No response received".
  • The FM3 Edit shows that it's connected, but again it says that the connection it's timed out.

What i've noticed, is that if I don't connect the FM3 through USB, it works fine and doesn't get freezed.

This is really strange to me, because i also have the AXE FX III running in the same PC (same setup, but not at the same time) and it works fine, flawless, never had an issue what so ever.

I'm attaching a screen capture where you can check what is happening to my unit.

View attachment 69003

Is anyone else having the same issue? Is there a way to fix it or work aroud it?

Now my FM3 just freezed three times whitout having it connected through USB.

One thing i've noticed is when i turn it on, the fan stars spinning and i can hear it, but then after a couple of seconds, i can't hear it anymore. Is that because it spins faster when you turn it on? Anyone?

please contact support. this is not normal and not happening to everyone.

support.fractalaudio.com
yeah... i'm gonna do that, but first i'm going to try to connect it to a more up to date PC to check if it's my setup or not.

thank you.

Hi. I have the FM3 since 4 days ago. It´s a wonderful unit. But it freezes a lot.
It has 2 tipes of freezes:
  • Sometimes while connected to the FM3 Edit, the unit appears connected but the editor does not seems to don anything to the unit.
  • Both connected and unconnected to the USB, the unit continues functioning ok (sounds) but nothing seems to work, nor buttons or footswitches.

Same thing here

Hi.
I've just got mine yesterday, and I tried it all afternoon with no problems, first connected to a FRFR cabinet, and then later connected to my interface through SPDIF and had no problems either. But today I started installing the FM3 Edit and all the other Windows USB Drivers Bundle to run it in my PC and i'm experiencing the exact same issues that you just described, but my FM3 has the 1.03 FW (stock from factory).

View attachment 69003

Don't run both FM3-Edit and Fractal-Bot at the same time, but try running one app at a time?
Restart FM3, plug in USB, run Fractal-Bot, update. Does it not work?

Don't run both FM3-Edit and Fractal-Bot at the same time, but try running one app at a time?
Restart FM3, plug in USB, run Fractal-Bot, update. Does it not work?
That's exactly what I did.

I just put everything in the screen to take a screenshot to share it here for others to see and, if lucky, get some help...

In my case i don't run FM3 Edit and FractalBot together.
I can understand that will be some issues while connected to the FM3 Edit, but what really worries me are the freezes without usb connected..

So, today I used the FM3 for around 3 hours, changing presets, scenes and editing them constantly, directly from the unit and not a single time got freezed. After that, I left it turned on for like another 3 more hours and when I came back, it was running perfectly.
One thing tho, my PC recognized it, but the Fractal Bot didn't. My PC showed that was connected and synced with ASIO, but also showed that the usb port couldn't install the driver to run it, even tho I installed it manually the day before. And the FM3 didn't get freezed while connected through usb either.
So I'm guessing that must be my PC that is too old (my SO is W7, that no longer has support from Microsoft)

I'll be posting posting any updates of my situation the next few days.
Have a good day.

Last edited:
I'm back...
It was definitly my PC setup. This time I hooked up the FM3 to my wife's laptop that is running windows 8.1, installed everything the same way I did on my PC and it connected flawlessly. I updated it to the last beta firmware and runned it with the FM3-Edit without any issues. Tested it a lot, for like two hours and not a single time got freezed.

Gonna keep testing it anyway... Oh! and also, i'm gonna have to buy a new PC. :sweatsmile:

Take care.

I am over the FREEZING.. 1st live freeze was super annoying today at church, usually I can still play the preset im in but not today it went quiet and stayed until I cycled power in the middle of a song . I had many many freezes when I first had it then they went away somewhat now after latest Public 1.04 they are back. And some random 1950s TV screen images on LCD display , looked like it was toast but came back up after reboot. I do not want to lose the new Matchless but I am going back to a stable release.. And my tuner doesn't mute all the way so I use a headstock tuner. I have videos I still need to send in to support of this . I will just use HX stomp for bit live no big deal Fractal is working hard I know this for sure.

I am over the FREEZING.. 1st live freeze was super annoying today at church, usually I can still play the preset im in but not today it went quiet and stayed until I cycled power in the middle of a song . I had many many freezes when I first had it then they went away somewhat now after latest Public 1.04 they are back. And some random 1950s TV screen images on LCD display , looked like it was toast but came back up after reboot. I do not want to lose the new Matchless but I am going back to a stable release.. And my tuner doesn't mute all the way so I use a headstock tuner. I have videos I still need to send in to support of this . I will just use HX stomp for bit live no big deal Fractal is working hard I know this for sure.
Have you contacted support officially? I haven’t experienced any of this in any beta, private or public, or any release.

I experienced several freezes too
Non HP version FW 1.04
FM3 edit not connected
One freeze was concerning as powering off and then on did not fix (stays in FM3 boot picture and nothing happen)
After another power cycle it went to normal
However using for several consécutives hours and it did not happened again
Not a big concern but very unusual to Fractal products
I owned ultra FXII and AX8 I never had any freeze with any FW including beta
No doubt it will be fixed anyway overtim

Same here. ( no headphone model ) Not connected to laptop. Freezes regularly when changing preset. Could it be because my presets are around 85/86% cpu power? Is it a real bug? Or is there another problem? Hope Fractal team looking into it as quite annoying during rehearsal/live gig.

Any preset above about 80% certainly seems to lead to freeze ups, so that is probably normal. Hope they get the other bugs worked out soon. Kind of frustrating but I know it's still a very new product.

Have you contacted support officially? I haven’t experienced any of this in any beta, private or public, or any release.
Yes I have , its too risky to return due to the end user having to PAY for shipping both ways if they don't find a issue. Im over it at this point I use the HX stomp and will wait for a update to fix it. Or it will completely break down and then I will feel safe returning. I feel a bit of buyers remorse waiting a year and get told ," just ship it back at 35$ plus enough insurance to cover USPS losing it. If we find its not major your not getting it back until you pay more money in shipping and wait a week with no gear in place of it." I don't know why I am so mad really just want to play it out without freezing or screen disappearing .. I had a Kemper stage with updates all over and it took a while to get it working. I guess this is the same . I enjoy the company just hate when things are not working in my favor. boo hoo me.

I’m having this issue since yesterday:

When connected to reaper the tempo led stops blinking and then randomly blink with no pattern. Then the footswitches start acting weird or not responding. The strip lines above fs show no titles for scenes, fx, etc. the sound is normal and I can navigate the unit with the buttons, so it seems no affect the sound processing. if I close reaper the unit behaves normally.

Yesterday at rehearsal I reaper and fm3 Edit open and the problem was much bigger. Started with the tempo led thing but after a couple of minutes of crazy switch behavior the switches were completely unresponsive. I tried everything including loading the factory layouts and even loading 1.05 again. The switches were dead. The sound was normal.

When I came home at night I conected the fm3 and everything worked normally. I tough it was a power problem at rehearsal room but tonight I could reproduce the tempo led mal function and the switches not responding. I could relate that to reaper because at first I tough it was a fm3 Edit problem.

Back
Top Bottom