Fm3 for stereo synth+guitar? Inputs Q

gsilbers

I saw a few threads and manual but still wanted to confirm ..

There is a stereo line input (input2) that I can use for a stereo synth, correct?
It’s also called insert return so that’s throwing me off so dunno if there’s something else I might be missing.

Also, the fm3 can have two separate channels, one for the guitar (input1) and another for stereo synth (input2) and
In the axe edit I can set two separate set of Fx, correct?
And if so, can the fm3 handle something like Guitar input only have amp and cab, and for synth have compressor, eq, dist, reverb, delay. ?

Yes, you could simply have a signal chain with IN2 - whatever effects you want - OUT1 or OUT2. You could also run IN1 - whatever fx -> OUT1 or OUT2 at the same time.

Number of reverb blocks is limited to just 1 though so you would have to share that or use it for only one of the systems if you want to run guitar and synth at the same time.

Probably? But I would usually want compressor and dirt before the synth. So routing would be a little difficult depending on what the actual synth you are using is.

FWIW; I run my GR55 in one input and my guitar in the other. I have it set up to be either/or and engage the synth via expression pedal. I am very satisfied with the results; but I can see myself using it as an excuse for "needing" the FM9 :D

Yes, you could simply have a signal chain with IN2 - whatever effects you want - OUT1 or OUT2. You could also run IN1 - whatever fx -> OUT1 or OUT2 at the same time.

Number of reverb blocks is limited to just 1 though so you would have to share that or use it for only one of the systems if you want to run guitar and synth at the same time.

Ok, to be clear these two paths are completely separate, correct?

Probably? But I would usually want compressor and dirt before the synth. So routing would be a little difficult depending on what the actual synth you are using is.

FWIW; I run my GR55 in one input and my guitar in the other. I have it set up to be either/or and engage the synth via expression pedal. I am very satisfied with the results; but I can see myself using it as an excuse for "needing" the FM9 :D

I’m a little confused by the compressor before the synth part you mentioned.

The synth would be the sound source. I have several synths but it would be the sequencial take 5 or Novation on peak going into the fm3 to get some fx like distortion or delay. And keeping it stereo through out and then out to the computer via the analog outs of the fm3.

And on the instrument input have mono guitar with amp and cab only for guitar duties. Mono path is ok. And go out another line out of the fm3 to the computer.

Basically a dual effects box.

Reactions: JTI
I’m a little confused by the compressor before the synth part you mentioned.

The synth would be the sound source. I have several synths but it would be the sequencial take 5 or Novation on peak going into the fm3 to get some fx like distortion or delay. And keeping it stereo through out and then out to the computer via the analog outs of the fm3.

And on the instrument input have mono guitar with amp and cab only for guitar duties. Mono path is ok. And go out another line out of the fm3 to the computer.

Basically a dual effects box.
I usually would use a compressor before a synth block. Not an actual hardware synth. Ignore that part :)

I usually would use a compressor before a synth block. Not an actual hardware synth. Ignore that part :)
Gotcha. Thx.
I was wondering if there was some sort of insert fx technique I wasn’t aware of.
I did read you can place the in and outs at different points in axe edit

Gotcha. Thx.
I was wondering if there was some sort of insert fx technique I wasn’t aware of.
I did read you can place the in and outs at different points in axe edit
You would still need to be able to feed signal to the unit. With guitar this is easier as you can just plug into input 1 and use output 2 and input 2 as an fx loop. With synth being the sound source it's not really happening at least with the FM3.

The Drive blocks are mono. So it would take two to maintain your stereo synth path. CPU may be a problem in the FM3.

Can you spell out exactly what you hope to use? I could load it all up and let you know if it will fit.

The Drive blocks are mono. So it would take two to maintain your stereo synth path. CPU may be a problem in the FM3.

Can you spell out exactly what you hope to use? I could load it all up and let you know if it will fit.

For guitar just one amp and cab.

For synth it would be stereo compressor, stere eq, stereo saturation/drive, stereo delay and stereo reverb.

I was hoping to just be a set it and forget it thing. Two channels ready to go but I woudnt be using it at the same time so I guess I can change presets to be either guitar stuff or synth stuff.

The idea is to record a synth line through the fm3 onto daw. Then do a guitar track through the fm3.

The axe edit has a ton of effects and also would like to do ambient stuff. It seems it has almost the same effects as a eclipse v4. At least has long delays, reverbs, pitch shifter/harmonizers etc.

I did read some issues w fm3 not being powerful enough but not sure up to what extent. Affordability and space make me wan to get the fm3 but maybe my expectations are too high.

Doing both at the same time is possible. Using two Drive blocks, one set to only process it's Left input and it's output panned to the Left. The other set to only process it's Right input and it's output panned to the Right. (see pic below)

Using separate presets would give you much more flexibility!

Note.. Most of the effect blocks are stereo, or have stereo model options. All 'Drives' and 'Amps' are mono. The Reverb passes the stereo 'Dry' signal through, but the Reverb engine is fed form a mono sum of the left and right sides. Then outputs a stereo(ized) reverb that is blended back in with the 'dry' stereo signal.

FM3 Guitar+Keys.png

Doing both at the same time is possible. Using two Drive blocks, one set to only process it's Left input and it's output panned to the Left. The other set to only process it's Right input and it's output panned to the Right. (see pic below)

Using separate presets would give you much more flexibility!

Note.. Most of the effect blocks are stereo, or have stereo model options. All 'Drives' and 'Amps' are mono. The Reverb passes the stereo 'Dry' signal through, but the Reverb engine is fed form a mono sum of the left and right sides. Then outputs a stereo(ized) reverb that is blended back in with the 'dry' stereo signal.

View attachment 88883
Awesome.
Thank you very much

Back
Top Bottom