Fm3/Fm9 bass output questions

SWIINE

Hi everyone just had some questions about a setup I’m trying to put together. Working out if I need an FM9 or can get away with the FM3.

For a prog/heavy bass & drums project I’m looking for 3 signals for the bass. One clean to go into a bass amp, and 2 for multiple amp signals.

I have a 2 channel switcher to move between the clean and FM signal.

Can the FM3 output a signal with an amp/cab and then output the same signal without an amp/cab? So can I run 2 signals out of it, one “cab simed” out to the PA and one “cabless/ampless simed” into a real amp?

I understand the FM9 will be able to handle this as it can push out 2 seperate signals through its own cabs. I’m assuming the FM9 can turn each signal on and off and that would be perfect. I just want to see if I can get away with an FM3.
Thanks!

Last edited:
What is a "clean" signal? Do you mean a DI signal?

What's an "amp cab?"

What does "simed" mean?

If you're asking whether you can send a DI signal to feed an outboard amp, the answer is yes.

Aw, come on, Rex. Even little old autistic me gets those.
The FM3 can output a signal with and without amp and cab simulation if you program it right. Basically set it up so amp and cab are last in the row and tap off output 2 right before. Probably even possible to do a stereo setup with amp left and unamped right, but that depends on the effects behind it. Some are stereo and some are mono, so they sum the stereo signals.
I'm guessing you'll be splitting the "clean" bass straight into the bass amp before the Fractal?

Rex:
Clean = dry signal that could go into a DI or bass amp
Sim/Simed = Simulator/Simulated

I’ve reworded the original post to make more sense hopefully

I already have a 2 channel switcher to move between the clean (dry) and FM signal.

As I said:
The FM3 can output a signal with and without amp and cab simulation if you program it right. Basically set it up so amp and cab are last in the row and tap off output 2 right before. Probably even possible to do a stereo setup with amp left and unamped right, but that depends on the effects behind it. Some are stereo and some are mono, so they sum the stereo signals.

Aw, come on, Rex. Even little old autistic me gets those.
I'm guessing you'll be splitting the "clean" bass straight into the bass amp before the Fractal?
Ok cool! So yes Bass > 2 channel switcher > first output straight to bass amp/DI, second to the FM3.

My plan is if there’s a guitar amp apart the backline I can send output 2 into it, making the setup one simed amp & cab from the FM3, one real amp & cab (using FM3 effects) and one real bass amp and cab. Will the stereo FX stay but be split between the simed and real amps? The FM3 will be mainly turning the bass into a guitar signal using octavers etc.

I think if I understand you correctly it can be done. But it's all down to routing and which effects you wish to use and where to put them.

Back
Top Bottom