FM3 Firmware Version 6.02 beta 1

Yes running anything over 80% isn’t recommended. Many of my presets are around 78-79% so probably won’t try this beta. What in the beta is using the extra cpu? Anyone have an idea?

After checking the changes from the latest FM9 update some features are not listed for this release, like the new compressors and updated speaker thumb.
Are those just missing from the list or will they make it in a later update if ever?
They are not listed in the release notes, but the new compressor types are there, and the old ones are renamed.

By the way, the sustainers are really great, I can finaly get that "forever" sustain using headphones.

Can anybody check if we got these FM9 updates?
  • Added Amp block new parameter “Input Dynamics” (as found on Axe-Fx III).
  • Added “Oxbow Loadbox” and “Double Notes Loadbox” speaker impedance curves
  • Input and Output volume pedals (MIDI/Remote menu) filtering is reduced. This causes the level to react quicker, similar to Axe FX III.

Last edited:
I would love to be able to have a Fx loop block to only use 1 block instead of 2...
Years ago, there was just an FX loop block. That was changed to separate input and Output blocks by user request, because you can do more things with separate ins and outs.

...to connect an external footswitch
You don’t use an FX loop to connect external footswitches. There are other methods for that.

That’s a dangerous place to be
Because at 82 you are already over
One slight increase in a firmware and it is in the red , you should actually try to get in the slightly under 80 in your presets cause things like modifiers , controllers etc can cause a spike
Many of my presets are 77-82%, can not reduce anything. Works perfect on 6.01, but no sound now. But this is beta, so I am ok with. I am sure FAS teams will fix it one day...

Installed Beta yesterday and then go to our rehersal! Worked perfect for me - first time i could read the display. Also the bypass function for the wah bock is very smooth! Thank you Fractal for your great work!

Many of my presets are 77-82%, can not reduce anything. Works perfect on 6.01, but no sound now. But this is beta, so I am ok with. I am sure FAS teams will fix it one day...
If you had your Output EQ's off to save CPU, this beta turns them back on, plus the new Expanders use more CPU than the old Gates. 6.02b1 also wiped my CS switch assignments and CS MIDI settings, and some other MIDI Pref's like PC-Off and Redundant PC Ignore were all set back to default by the 6.02b1. Reloading the Layouts didn't fix any of these problems, all must be manually reset.

Further more, I couldn't backtrack to FW 6.01 either, as everything got corrupted when I tried via the standalone Fractal Bot (everything got really slow, couldn't change Scenes or Programs via Editor or Front Panel, CPU running hot like some thread was stuck in a loop etc, and reinstalling 6.01 plus rebooting did not help, though fortunately reloading 6.02b1 seems to be working now.

Once I turned off the output EQ's and went back to the Gates, the CPU was roughly back to what it was in 6.01, though I still needed to recreate my CS MIDI and Pedal Assignments for the Stand In Switches plus other MIDI params. Note that I ran the memory tests and all was fine.

Hopefully this will be fixed going forward, and that smoke testing involves power cycling as similar things happened before with the 5.x betas (corrupted controller params)! Note that when I first installed 6.02b1 everything seemed fine, and it wasn't until it was powered down and up again that the problems began. Power up and down is now working so far, strange...

It would be great to know what exactly which settings and parameters are not backed up either by the Layout or Preset etc?

PSA: BTW, unbeknownst to me one can backup system params via the Fractal Bot, who knew LOL (system+gb+fc.syx)?

I'll be doing that ASAP now that everything is working again, and thanks to @rglr for the info!

Last edited:
Further more, I couldn't backtrack to FW 6.01 either, as everything got corrupted when I tried via the standalone Fractal Bot (everything got really slow, couldn't change Scenes or Programs via Editor or Front Panel etc, and reinstalling 6.01 plus rebooting did not help, though fortunately reloading 6.02b1 seems to be working now.
Did you revert back to the prior version of FM3 Edit when reverting to 6.01?

Anyone with compressors in the preset that is over cpu , check those , the comp block on the FM9 definitely saw and increase using the new redone comps

@rglr

I found a bug in the betas of v6.01, you asked me to post the presets here.

It's also described here in the thread of 6.01 release.

Did you check this issue?

The bug is still existing in 6.02b1.

FM3 Firmware Version 6.02 beta 1 is now available for download:
https://www.fractalaudio.com/downloads/firmware-presets/fm3/6p0/fm3_dsp_rel_6p02_beta_1.zip

A new version of FM3-Edit is required for this release.
https://forum.fractalaudio.com/threads/fm3-edit-1-05-15-to-support-fw-6-02-public-beta-1.192703/

NEW AND IMPROVED FEATURES​

• Added “OD-One Overdrive” Drive model based on a Boss OD-1.
  • Improved Noise Gate in Input block:
    • Improved performance based on new algorithm developed for Gate block.
    • A Mode selection has been added allowing the user to select between “Easy” and “Advanced”. In Easy mode the number of parameters is reduced simplifying the adjustment procedure for those who are unfamiliar with the finer details of gates/expanders for guitar noise reduction applications.
  • Improved Gate block:
    • Improved Downward Expander type. The “Hold Time” parameter has been removed as it is not compatible and no longer needed with the new algorithm. This type has been renamed “Classic Expander” as it based off classic analog downward expanders.
    • Added “Modern Expander” type. This type uses a novel approach to the envelope detector resulting in improved ballistics compared to traditional analog expanders. A “Knee Type” parameter has been added which allows selecting between hard-knee expansion and varying degrees of soft-knee expansion.
  • Added zoom feature to Cabinet IR graph.
  • Improved Tuner:
    • Changed filter to tracking bandpass.
    • Changed strobe tuner so that indicator rotation frequency is constant vs. error as a fraction of desired frequency.
  • Adjusted the bypass design for blocks whose mix is “hard-coded” at 100%, (e.g. wah, EQ, etc.) The new feature smooths the transition when the effect is turned on or off.
  • New large fonts display mode for the main Presets/Scenes view (Home page of the Home menu). Turn Knob B (“Zoom”) to switch between small fonts and large fonts. In Large mode:
    • Turn the Value knob and then press ENTER to change the preset. (Presets are shown in “preview” as dim text until you press Enter.) When previewing presets, NAV left/right = -1/+1 preset and NAV down/up = -10/+10 presets.
    • Once any preset is loaded,use NAV keys to change scenes.

FIXES​

• FC: When editing switches from the front panel, the 'Mini-Display Label' setting of 'Custom' will now allow access to the 'Custom Label' setting for all switch categories.
  • FC: Removed some erroneous parameter options from some switch configurations when viewed from the front panel, such as for Effect->Chan Inc/Dec.
The new impedance curves of UA OX will be added?

I am not a heavy resource intensive and add on effects to presets person.

Mostly use BANK 1 Factory and then Austin Buddy Live Gold presets.

Will I be needing to go into some of them to adjust, or to make some global adjustments??

Tried it now, absolutely no impact on CPU
Try being sure you're using an old style noise gate as well, in both input blocks as well as the gate blocks if used.

Doing that in one gate block alone saw a drop of around 5% for my preset, that doesn't use the input block gates.

@rglr

I found a bug in the betas of v6.01, you asked me to post the presets here.

It's also described here in the thread of 6.01 release.

Did you check this issue?

The bug is still existing in 6.02b1.

@jordikt

Yes, there is a short burst of noise when switching to preset 2.

But I wouldn't call it a bug.

It's the result of extreme gain staging differences between the both presets in the AMP and OUT blocks.

In one preset OUT is set to +4.5 db and in the other to -19 dB.

Set both to zero, adjust AMP LEVEL and it's solved.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom