FM3 Firmware Version 6.01 beta 3 and SPDIF

dschaaf

Experienced
Hi, I have been using my FM3 into my FM9 via SPDIF and mainly placing anything pre-amp/cab in the FM3 and amp/cab, delays, verbs etc. in the FM9 just to balance the load....and for messing around more than thing. Note: I previous had the FM9 set to -10.0 dB on the usb/SPDIF setting so the inbound SPDIF signal wasn't;t too hot. (see https://forum.fractalaudio.com/threads/chaining-2-fm3s.183496/page-2#post-2349810)

I just updated the FM3 to Firmware Version 6.01 beta 3 and for some reason the same setup...same presets now are just a buzzy, crackly, static-filled mess? I have then reset all systems parameters etc and still no change. I also set the USB/SPDIF input all the way down to -25db+ and still the same.

Any thoughts? Any chance the new firmware could have impacted the SPDIF?

Thanks,
Derek

What version were you on before? There was a change related to SPDIF volume I believe in 6.0.

I don't use SPDIF so beyond that I have nothing, but may be related?

Clocking? The FM3 needs to be clock master.

P.S. There shouldn't be any need to attenuate the spdif signal. That's the unity gain output from the FM3.
Thanks, is the clocking something that has to be set? I don't recall ever having done this before.

Thanks,
Derek

What version were you on before? There was a change related to SPDIF volume I believe in 6.0.

I don't use SPDIF so beyond that I have nothing, but may be related?
Thanks. I was on 6.0 before...I believe the main one officially released one the download page of FM3 and this was updating to the most recent Beta release of 6.

Thank you
Derek

The FM3 needs to sync to external clock, so check your clocking configuration first before investigating other possible sources of the problem.

Last edited:
Before the SPDIF Level was coupled with Out1 Volume Knob, now (since 6.0???) SPDIF is always at full level, which i like for my home Studio setup.
I don't have a FM9, but the SPDIF Receiver must sync to the SPDIF source! (ext clocking) - sorry for my bad english!

Back
Top Bottom