FM3 Firmware Version 6.00 beta 4

Status
Not open for further replies.
Installed Beta 4 on weekend and only issue or inconvenience since FW 6.x I got is that switching presets a bit slower than with FW 5.x.
Editor working fine until now.

I always make sure to have an empty preset loaded when doing updates. When a problem has been solved it would/could be helpful to explain exactly what was the solution. Thanks.
Same here... using empty preset when doing updates or backups/restores and so on.

Editor is just very slow opening and then loading up.
You didn’t tell us enough to help. How long is it taking?

The Edit app has to scan the modeler to be aware of the features in the firmware loaded in the modeler, and also find out what presets and user cabs are loaded. Once it has it will cache that information on the drive.

If it can’t retrieve the information later, perhaps because previously it was used on a desktop machine, and later was used on a laptop, or because the app’s default folder permissions didn’t allow writing, it’ll have to start again and rescan and rewrite the information gathered.

There are three steps to the process:
  1. Scanning the firmware to find the blocks, and their parameters. These change whenever the firmware is updated or changed.
  2. Scanning the presets. The user can change these from the front panel at any time so Edit needs current information about what is there.
  3. Scanning the cabs. Related to the presets, the editor needs to know what cabs are available.
and you can set the Edit preferences to tell it what you want it to scan each time it reconnects. It’s for your convenience to let it scan, though typically the firmware scan takes a while so some people disable that. The second two scans are much faster and are more likely to change, so I always allow those. And, if you disable the scans you can always force them to run manually.

If Edit always wants to run the three scans it’s most likely a permissions problem on Windows, which many people then do a removal and reinstall. If it continues, dig in and figure out why the permissions are not set right, don’t set it to run with administrator privileges as that’s a bad practice security wise.

I've just noticed that when I adjust a Cab level it doesn't do anything, either on CAB 1 or CAB 2... o_O
There are multiple levels in the Cab block, so it's important to specify which you're talking about. I'm going to assume you are NOT talking about the block level, but instead the individual cab levels.

The individual cab levels are normalized, so they act as relative values to each other. If you only have one cab and turn it down, the system will consider that the new 0 and bring up the level. If you have multiple cabs and turn one down then that cab's volume will drop in relationship to the others.

From the Cab block page in the Wiki:
  • The Cab block normalizes its output level when using multiple IRs. The LEVEL parameter of each IR doesn't simply set the output level of that IR, but it determines the relative levels between the IRs when more than one is loaded.
(about normalization in the Cab block) "Yes. This keeps the volume consistent regardless of the number of IRs and their mix levels. For example if you were to use two IRs and set each at -3 dB the volume would be half as loud. Behind the scenes it figures this out and compensates." [7]
"Adjusting IR levels is not possible. Cab-Lab automatically normalizes IRs for "unity energy". 99.9% of the time this results in IRs that are the same volume but every now and then an IR will have energy outside the normal range of hearing which confuses the normalization routine. It's superior to the usual amplitude normalization but not without its faults." [8]

There are multiple levels in the Cab block, so it's important to specify which you're talking about. I'm going to assume you are NOT talking about the block level, but instead the individual cab levels.

The individual cab levels are normalized, so they act as relative values to each other. If you only have one cab and turn it down, the system will consider that the new 0 and bring up the level. If you have multiple cabs and turn one down then that cab's volume will drop in relationship to the others.

From the Cab block page in the Wiki:
Ah! Thanks for that, I had no idea. :rolleyes:

I downloaded and tested 6.00 beta 4 this weekend. I can't wait for the full version! I really love the Brit Studio 20 amp model and the added thump parameter in the speaker tab.

I use the SPDIF out into my Focusrite Scarlett 18i20 for practice and recording into a MacBook Pro running Monterey (12.6.1). While I was monitoring the tone through the headphone jack on the Focusrite, several time the signal cut out completely for one or two seconds. During my testing (about 2 hours) this intermittent dead-air became more frequent. Eventually, I lost the signal completely. I did try to restart a couple times (Computer, Interface, FM3…), but with no success. Reloaded 5.03 for practice tomorrow.

I also tested some FC configurations using the Setlist/Songs function, after which I decided to restore the FC factory defaults. This function crashed the FM3.

I really enjoy getting a peek into the new features before they are LIVE.

Thanks Fractal.

I also tested some FC configurations using the Setlist/Songs function, after which I decided to restore the FC factory defaults. This function crashed the FM3.
Which function? Using the Setlist or restoring the layouts?

What do you mean by "crashed"? What happened on the FM3?

Which function? Using the Setlist or restoring the layouts?

What do you mean by "crashed"? What happened on the FM3?

I was restoring the FC layouts. I used the "Load Factory Default Layout & Setting" in the "FC Controllers/Onboard Switches" menu.

When selected <ENTER>, the prompt "Do you wish to load factory default layouts for the FM3? Press Enter=Yes, Exit=No" appears. When I selected YES (Enter), the screen locked on this prompt. It usually clears after a few seconds once the FC restore is complete. I had to restart the FM3 to clear the prompt. However, I checked the FC configuration, and the factory FC restore was successful.

I was restoring the FC layouts. I used the "Load Factory Default Layout & Setting" in the "FC Controllers/Onboard Switches" menu.

When selected <ENTER>, the prompt "Do you wish to load factory default layouts for the FM3? Press Enter=Yes, Exit=No" appears. When I selected YES (Enter), the screen locked on this prompt. It usually clears after a few seconds once the FC restore is complete. I had to restart the FM3 to clear the prompt. However, I checked the FC configuration, and the factory FC restore was successful.
Thanks - those are good details!

For those who were raggin' on me for desiring pristine cross-fades and tails, while wishing for a four core FM3 sized FM3 Turbo at some point, the CPU savings with FW6.x gets all of this in at 68% - 75% on average depending on the pitch algorithm used, awesome job FAS (while also fixing my corrupted modifier parameters bug)!

For those wondering about what the current FM3 can accomplish, this is my kitchen sink preset which has a modified JCM 800 tube preamp in the FX Loop (the FM3 provides an awesome tube power amp sim for the tube preamp!), while being automated in real-time via Ableton LIVE, all with no problems (FW5.x was at 75% - 82% which got iffy and slow at times etc...).

Last edited:
For those who were raggin' on me for desiring pristine cross-fades and tails, while wishing for a four core FM3 sized FM3 Turbo at some point, the CPU savings with FW6.x gets all of this in at 68% - 75% on average depending on the pitch algorithm used, awesome job FAS (while also fixing my corrupted modifier parameter bug)!

For those wondering about what the current FM3 can accomplish, this is my kitchen sink preset which has a modified HV JCM 800 tube preamp in the FX Loop (the FM3 provides an awesome tube power amp sim), while being automated via Ableton LIVE, all with no problems (FW5.x was at 75% - 82% avg.)

Why the PEQ block from IN1 to MIXER? Very curious for knowing what is its function...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom