FM3 Firmware Version 6.00 beta 3

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wow... what an update. I installed 6 beta 3 into Cakewalk with Sonarworks and it sounds really good! I tried the Marshall type amps and I just love the chiminess of them. I tried the Mesa/Recto patches and they sound dark, which I'm sure it's supposed to sound like that.

Thanks to all the team for a wonderful update!

Quick question, what set of default patches should we install? I read in another thread that we can install the latest Axe-fx III patches.

I finally got to check this out for a few hours tonight, and everything I tried sounded great except for Herbie Ch 3. That amp sounds broken, lol. It sounds like it is overload clipping with a loud signal.

I can definitely notice the bouncy chug on the low end keeps improving, and I feel like I am not high cutting as low to cut out the harsh. I am also noticing what others have said about CPU usage and clarity and such.

I finally got to check this out for a few hours tonight, and everything I tried sounded great except for Herbie Ch 3. That amp sounds broken, lol. It sounds like it is overload clipping with a loud signal.

I can definitely notice the bouncy chug on the low end keeps improving, and I feel like I am not high cutting as low to cut out the harsh. I am also noticing what others have said about CPU usage and clarity and such.
There are still some amps that have not been reworked for Cygnus 2
The Deizels, Bogners etc were still to be done as of This beta

Fractal is fantastic! I'm always amazed with the fullness, openess and clarity of the sounds.

I usually can get very open and clear sound without harshness!

Thanks for the update.

Last edited:
  • New Speaker Drive algorithm in Amp block. This new algorithm more accurately models the frequency dependent distortion of guitar loudspeakers. The default value (upon resetting the block) is 2.0 which gives roughly 1 dB of compression. Setting the value to 0.0 defeats the speaker drive modeling. Higher values give a smoother and more focused sound, rounding off the “sharp edges” and yielding greater compression.
  • Added Speaker Thump to Amp block. This models the dynamic, nonlinear behavior of a guitar speaker. A value of 5.0 roughly corresponds to an amp running into a speaker rated at the same power as the amplifier, i.e., a 100W amplifier running into a 100W speaker. The reset value is a conservative 2.5 which represents, i.e., a 50W amp running into a 100W speaker. Note that the majority of the response is in the subsonic region and the effect is primarily tactile. Existing presets are not affected and the value will be zero.

@rglr amazing update, thank you!

Quick question: Given I have edited several advanced amp controls in my presets, resetting the amp blocks in my presets is a bit impractical. Are the new speaker drive and thump values the only amended new default values for the amp blocks, or are there other advanced parameters that have been amended (especially for the list of amps that were re-done for accuracy)?
The reason why I'm asking is that if it's only those 2 values, I'd rather go in and amend my presets manually, rather that resetting the amp blocks.

Thank you!

Added Speaker Thump to Amp block. This models the dynamic, nonlinear behavior of a guitar speaker. A value of 5.0 roughly corresponds to an amp running into a speaker rated at the same power as the amplifier, i.e., a 100W amplifier running into a 100W speaker. The reset value is a conservative 2.5 which represents, i.e., a 50W amp running into a 100W speaker. Note that the majority of the response is in the subsonic region and the effect is primarily tactile. Existing presets are not affected and the value will be zero.

Does this mean that if you're running a Shiva (80w amp) into a 4x12 with Greenbacks you should be setting the value to 4? Or does the Master Volume ultimately determines what value you should be using (IE an 80w amp at volume 3 won't be putting out all 80w)?

Last edited:
There are still some amps that have not been reworked for Cygnus 2
The Deizels, Bogners etc were still to be done as of This beta
Yeah, one of the first patch I checked was the Herbie Ch3 and I was like....yikes. I'm confident that I will just need to rework it, but it seem FAR away from what it sounded like. We'll check tomorrow I guess

Atomica Hi and Friedman BE models has never been so perfect than what I'm feeling on the strings now after 9 years with FAS on live stages.
Using the MADOAK EV12L 412 "mix", it's from the free Madoak cab pack by FAS.

Axe edit is a bit buggy right now. Saving is not working properly sometimes.
Takes a long time to load each cold start as well. May be normal for beta ware .
Did you update the editor? I haven't seen any reported issues like this...

Because Fractal-Bot is already embedded in the *Edit apps and is accessible under the Tools menu, it isn't necessary to quit Edit, load Fractal-Bot, do whatever, quit it, then restart Edit. There's only one thing I've found that I absolutely need Fractal-Bot for, and that was because I was abusing the poor thing. We sometimes do that when testing.

I count 8-10 seconds before powering the unit on again. Technically we should wait 5 seconds; Sometimes I'm busy or distracted and it sits for hours, sometimes I fat-finger the power switch, freak out, then power it off again and wait. It's survived my antics so far.
Like I said some people will find it excessive. I’ve been messing with Windoze for a long time as I’m sure you have too. Much of my points are for the way things use to be. Like draining capacitors completely, rebooting Windoze, etc.. I still find taking a methodical approach is best when performing tasks that when they go south really suck. I’ve installed, uninstalled the Firmware on the FM3 at least 2 dozen+ times and have never had any of these weird issues I see happen. Who knows what they are or why they happen, but I’ll stick to my method. Thanks for the advice.

Is BB Pre AT drive block model new in this firmware? Leon Todd shows it in his video, but I don't see it in the release notes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom