FM3 Firmware Version 5.03

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's a shame that you can't make software where you can choose the blocks to put in each scene (instead of in each preset). In this way the blocks that are not active would not consume as much cpu and you could make scenes with fewer blocks and higher quality and others with more blocks and lower quality reverbs for example

It's a shame that you can't make software where you can choose the blocks to put in each scene (instead of in each preset). In this way the blocks that are not active would not consume as much cpu and you could make scenes with fewer blocks and higher quality and others with more blocks and lower quality reverbs for example
You can switch the unused block channels to less CPU intense settings.

Hey Skolaki -Sorry about that bud.
Just know that it’s all mainly a compliment about the beauty and sincerity of your simple logic.
Those jokes at your expense and my unqualified callout of the CPU crew is just the Indica and IPA taking the wheel when I nod off.
With that out of the way I was gonna go play some guitar.
But now I’m thinking since its Saturday night and having maybe too much of a good time is actually encouraged for the evening-
after I finish getting my head right for the festivities I’m gonna go ruthlessly overload me some massive presets instead-
gonna be intense.

Last edited:
Also trying to get CPU usage down.
Thanks so much for the update!
Is it for the overall usage by all blocks, particular ones or some system-related improvements like loading time or zapping through scenes? The only performance-related issue which really bugs me is that on some presets, some channels need more CPU then others, which causes halt of the sound when switching to this channel and/or scenes which have this channel selected.

Like Horizon Drive, RCB and Timothy Mid definitely utilize more CPU than FET boost. Maybe a marginal amount, but sometimes it makes a difference. Is this ok?

I have a preset (attached) where I'm extremely close to max CPU usage, and when trying to switch scenes to those, who have Horizon instead of FET, I get the red warning. Enabling-disabling blocks works just fine, I can have all of them enabled, but once I'm trying to switch from breakup with FET to a clean scene which have Drive black disabled with HD channel enabled - red warning. Switching back to a preset with FET doesn't help, I have to switch presets to get the sound back OR cycle through channels in drive black - meaning the sound will not come back, unless you switch from FET to HD and back to FET.

Switching to scenes with FET work just fine sometimes, sometimes not. The preset I've attached have HD as a default for Scene 1 on purpose to demonstrate that. For me this preset is red until I'm switching Drive in S1 back to FET.
But also, when trying to switching from S1 to S3, which has FET selected, the sound won't come back until I switch channels in Drive block.
And I'd like to use HD in S3, but it is simply not possible now, so for me it is three issue in one.

Maybe it really makes sense to add an option to have "empty" channels, will it free a few % of CPU? I'd set it up on a PlexDelay block for S3 and hopefully it'd allow me to use HD in S3.

You can switch the unused block channels to less CPU intense settings.
This advise actually resolves the issue with this preset - switching to Channel B on PlexDelay allows me to use HD in the drive block. So, in the end, there is a difference in CPU usage of different channels, and it can be maximized by using "empty" algorithm on a channel?

Attachments

• Carol-Ann Triptik - for the forum discussion.syx
    24.1 KB · Views: 2
Last edited:
Thanks so much for the update!
Is it for the overall usage by all blocks, particular ones or some system-related improvements like loading time or zapping through scenes? The only performance-related issue which really bugs me is that on some presets, some channels need more CPU then others, which causes halt of the sound when switching to this channel and/or scenes which have this channel selected.

Like Horizon Drive, RCB and Timothy Mid definitely utilize more CPU than FET boost. Maybe a marginal amount, but sometimes it makes a difference. Is this ok?

I have a preset (attached) where I'm extremely close to max CPU usage, and when trying to switch scenes to those, who have Horizon instead of FET, I get the red warning. Enabling-disabling blocks works just fine, I can have all of them enabled, but once I'm trying to switch from breakup with FET to a clean scene which have Drive black disabled with HD channel enabled - red warning. Switching back to a preset with FET doesn't help, I have to switch presets to get the sound back OR cycle through channels in drive black - meaning the sound will not come back, unless you switch from FET to HD and back to FET.

Switching to scenes with FET work just fine sometimes, sometimes not. The preset I've attached have HD as a default for Scene 1 on purpose to demonstrate that. For me this preset is red until I'm switching Drive in S1 back to FET.
But also, when trying to switching from S1 to S3, which has FET selected, the sound won't come back until I switch channels in Drive block.
And I'd like to use HD in S3, but it is simply not possible now, so for me it is three issue in one.

Maybe it really makes sense to add an option to have "empty" channels, will it free a few % of CPU? I'd set it up on a PlexDelay block for S3 and hopefully it'd allow me to use HD in S3.

This advise actually resolves the issue with this preset - switching to Channel B on PlexDelay allows me to use HD in the drive block. So, in the end, there is a difference in CPU usage of different channels, and it can be maximized by using "empty" algorithm on a channel?
I'm totally agree with you. With the reverb block is more evident. There are to much diferences between one type and others. If you could make a bypass one block in an escene (and that block doesn't suck CPU), it will be better to choose the highest reverb quality in one channel of that scene. Then in other scene you can activate this block and choose other reverb channel with the lowest quality, for example. In one preset, diferent blocks and qualities.
Currently you can't disable a block without it consuming cpu.
You can make that with diferent presets but many users want all in a preset (for that reason exits fm9 and fx3).
Fractal Fm3 is an excellent product for the price, but if all users have the same opinion and "complains" about the CPU is because it's a bit limited.

Last edited:
I'm totally agree with you. With the reverb block is more evident. There are to much diferences between one type and others.
The biggest issue that I see on the FM9 for cpu is the drive block
It sounds great but it used to be around 9 or 10% for some

The Klon Horizon etc are now pushing 15% in the latest firmware
Which is working great for me as I have simple presets but on an FM3
A 4-5% jump could be pretty substantial especially if you had 2 drives stacked could be close to 10% depending on the models

Different drives use different circuitry and different electronic components to create clipping, such as diodes, op-amps, LEDs, transistors, etc.

In order to accurately model them, some types require more or less CPU due to the complexity of modeling those components.

This has already been wished before...

Hey Skolaki -Sorry about that bud.
Just know that it’s all mainly a compliment about the beauty and sincerity of your simple logic.
Those jokes at your expense and my unqualified callout of the CPU crew is just the Indica and IPA taking the wheel when I nod off.
With that out of the way I was gonna go play some guitar.
But now I’m thinking since its Saturday night and having maybe too much of a good time is actually encouraged for the evening-
after I finish getting my head right for the festivities I’m gonna go ruthlessly overload me some massive presets instead-
gonna be intense.

No worries man. I see you were being sarcastic but with text only it can be hard to tell.

Most of us are realistic about the FM3. But some seem to think it should somehow be on par with the big boys. As is, it is by far the best rig I have ever had.

There's no empty algo. Each type of algo (be it a different drive, or delay, ore reverb) use different amount of CPU. If the block is bypassed AND you don't need to activate that block in the scene, you can choose the channel with the lower CPU usage and save scene. Hope this helps...

Hope this helps...
It does, I've played with it and it saved my preset. However, based on this, "empty" channel can be just a simplest "model" possible which will not affect a sound even if engaged by mistake, but at the same time will consume the lowest amount of CPU possible.
Anyway, I see that I'm 833608th member raising this, and I have my solution, so please let me shut up!

No worries man. I see you were being sarcastic but with text only it can be hard to tell.

Most of us are realistic about the FM3. But some seem to think it should somehow be on par with the big boys. As is, it is by far the best rig I have ever had.

Yup. Me, too! I love it---even if it is NOT a Great Dane and more like a little Pug. :D

I stayed up way too late last night. I just wanted to work on a couple of song ideas
and next thing I know I am up an hour later on a Sunday night than I planned on
being.

It just captures the vibe and feel of actual amps better than anything else I have ever used.
In all honesty, nothing else is even a close second. 🤘🤘

Oh, I have ZERO CPU concerns, have never had them, and will never have them.
A flat will never have the 1000 sq. meters of living space of a larger dwelling. Just
the nature of differentiation of scale.

I do appreciate the CPU optimization efforts by Fractal. Always pushing the bar
forward, they are. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom