FM3 Firmware Version 5.03

Status
Not open for further replies.
I actually prefer a slower trickle down of updates to the FM3 from the main Axe-fx code branches. Most of the bugs and kinks have been worked out at the bleeding edge of development in the Axe-fx III, so by the time the code gets to the FM3, it's potentially more stable and mature.

I actually prefer a slower trickle down of updates to the FM3 from the main Axe-fx code branches. Most of the bugs and kinks have been worked out at the bleeding edge of development in the Axe-fx III, so by the time the code gets to the FM3, it's potentially more stable and mature.
It doesn't quite work like that. The FM units use a different DSP than the FX3, so there's inevitably some rewriting of the DSP code for optimization for speed and to fit in the hardware's available blocks and parameters.

I think that by the time Cliff passes the code to the FM developers he has a good idea of how it needs to be written so he can help them sculpt it to fit, but still, we have the open beta testing to help ferret out those bugs that do creep in.

Even with that process, it's amazing how fast they churn out code and the new features that we see.

I’ve noticed since this update that the EVH 5150 100 red is quite dull in the low end and harsh in the high. I have a 100 watt and definitely does not sound like this. It seems bloated and tubby in the low mids. Anyone else?

I’ve noticed since this update that the EVH 5150 100 red is quite dull in the low end and harsh in the high. I have a 100 watt and definitely does not sound like this. It seems bloated and tubby in the low mids. Anyone else?
There could be a ton of reasons, one of the more common ones would be to have a look at the Speaker Impedance curve.

Seriously. If people don’t get their updates every week, they lose it.
My question was not about and update every week, it was about if the FM3 had reached its limit. I felt like it was possible and I'm a fairly new user. I bought my FM3 a little over a year ago and my Axe FX III shortly after. There are many things about its CPU limits I don't know and I'm not sure about its storage capacity either.

My question was not about and update every week, it was about if the FM3 had reached its limit. I felt like it was possible and I'm a fairly new user. I bought my FM3 a little over a year ago and my Axe FX III shortly after. There are many things about its CPU limits I don't know and I'm not sure about its storage capacity either.
Don't think about firmware updates as a consistent compounding of memory demands. Each firmware essentially wipes the last one clean and runs the machine in its own unique way, like a computer operating system. Some updates actually make the FM3 more efficient, so in theory, these updates could continue forever without overwhelming the unit. I'm confident we will see this unit supported for quite some time still.

Don't think about firmware updates as a consistent compounding of memory demands. Each firmware essentially wipes the last one clean and runs the machine in its own unique way, like a computer operating system. Some updates actually make the FM3 more efficient, so in theory, these updates could continue forever without overwhelming the unit. I'm confident we will see this unit supported for quite some time still.
Yeah, I seriously doubt any version of firmware used much less than the full capacity of the unit.

Yeah, I seriously doubt any version of firmware used much less than the full capacity of the unit.
I never implied otherwise. There is no reason to not take advantage of the unit's full capabilities. However - firmware updates in the past have used algorithms that allowed certain effects blocks to operate while using less CPU than in other firmware updates. Hence, making the unit more efficient. It doesn't usually happen that way, but plenty of others on this forum can confirm that is indeed true.

I've only been messing with the FM3 for just over a year now. The thing just sounds better and better every update.

Either that or I'm getting better at using it. Maybe it's a little of both.

Great unit!

Last edited:
Oh that’s right it’s Friday. I’m not expecting too much until the summer vacation season is over. At this point I’m still trying to figure out the most efficient way to get the most out of what it already does.

I admit the Klon model has me interested. Never played a real one or a clone. I can wait longer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom